1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weatherby vs Remington Rifles

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by ky.shooter, Dec 25, 2016.

1. ky.shooter

ky.shooter Active Member

I am going to buy a 308 in either Weatherby Vanguard or Remington 700 ADL. Which
    would be the best for hunting deer and wild boar. Thanks

2. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Either should perform admirably. If you handload or buy good higher end ammo and you have a good "touch", sub moa is to be expected.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The Remington Model 700 is to rifles what the 1911 is to handguns and the small-block Chevrolet V8 is to engines - many companies offer aftermarket parts for them, they are easily repaired and they have proven themselves in competition. Also used ones are readily available. For those reasons, I would chose the Model 700.

Ed

4. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

I'll second the 700.

wingmaster78 and nitro27man thanked this.
  5. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Remington 700- people have griped about their QC, but I have quite a few and never had a problem. They all shoot well, too- not something I can say about rifles I paid more for than my 700s!

wingmaster78 and nitro27man thanked this.
  6. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Not quite in the same price range, but offering some notable upgrades, is the small (6 lug) MK V action in .308 W.

v

7. DandyRandy

DandyRandy Well-Known Member

I have two Rem 700 ADL's. One in 30.06 and one in .270. Put a good 3X9 on it and never need another deer rifle.

Attached Files:

nitro27man thanked this.
  8. Allenn

Allenn Member

I agree with post #3,4,5,7. Go with a 700 Remington.

nitro27man and DandyRandy thanked this.
  9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Yes, Remington 700 as others have recommended! Merry Christmas...Ed

nitro27man thanked this.
  10. bowhunterklk

bowhunterklk TS Member

11. bowhunterklk

bowhunterklk TS Member

Agree- either gun will be a great shooter! I happen to like the weatherby after owning both.

12. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

I have nothing bad to say about the Weatherby. Never owned one.
    That said, I have 2 Remington 700's and love them. Talk about a "do everything Rifle " !!!
    My .308, straight out of the box, bone stock shoots sub MOA. My 30/06, also a tack driver, has gone all over the country, plus a few places around the world.
    Weatherbys might be just as good, I wouldn't know but then, I also don't feel any need to find out.

nitro27man thanked this.
  13. tombitt

tombitt Active Member

I have owned both and can give you some comparison notes. The Weatherby bolt uses the mauser style bolt with 2 locking lugs and a 30 degree to open the bolt, the action is very smooth. Not sure of the style of bolt that Remington uses, but the action is not as smooth as the Weatherby and it also uses a 60 degree to open the action, almost hitting fingers on the scope as you work it. The Vanguard has the trap door to remove the unused shell, and ADL you have to work the action to remove the shells. You could go with a BDL of a BDL drop mag, BDL has a trap door and the DM is just what it says. The cons against the Weaterby is that they are heavey to carry all day the Remington is a lot lighter. Either way both are fine guns but as far as performance, comfort and smooth action, I would choose the Weatherby, If you were to shoot one I am sure you would feel the same.

Good luck, let us know what you decide on

Chance McCall thanked this.
  14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I am going to mess with you...

I'd look at a Tikka... probably a T3

They have stunning triggers and actions - right out of the box (the Remington will most likely need work here).

Synthetic stock so you need not worry about damaging it in the woods, nor changes in point of impact with changing humidity.

Detachable magazine - which means you can change bullet type in a flash - with little or no noise.

15. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Just to add to your excellent observations, Ed, I would personally opt for one of the older 700's in good shape. They are out there.

Steve

Chance McCall thanked this.
  16. AveragEd

Agreed. I collect the BDLs made between 1997 and 2001 that came with factory scroll engraved receivers and floorplates (unless a DBM). They used to not draw much more money than a non-engraved one but these days, more people have caught on to them.

[​IMG]

Most of them shoot as good as they look.

Ed

Chance McCall and AAtrap thanked this.
  17. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

Buy a Tikka and you will thank us both later.

SM

HSLDS thanked this.
  18. AveragEd

Just avoid the hollow synthetic stocks or plan to replace it. I have a stainless Model 700BDL in .300 SAUM with a factory sysnthetic stock that shot 1/2" to 3/4" groups all day long until it suddenly became a 1" to 1-1/4" gun. A friend videoed me shooting it and you could plainly see the wrist of the stock flexing like a spring. I put the rifle in a laminated stock and the accuracy is now 1/4" to 1/2".

[​IMG]

That fully finished drop-in stock with pillar bedding, ribbon-pattern laser-cut checkering and a 1" Limbsaver recoil pad cost me $208. Apparently hollow plastic stocks have a point at which recoil weakens them and accuracy can go down the toilet.

Ed

big kahuna thanked this.
  19. henrydog

henrydog Active Member

My kid has a Weatherby Vanguard .308 in the Youth model. It is the same as a Howa 1500. He out grew it, but thing is a tack driver with 180gr

20. ky.shooter

ky.shooter Active Member

Thanks everyone. After handling both guns I decided to buy a Weatherby Vanguard 308 with a Leupold scope. Happy New Year to everyone.