1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

weatherby vagaurd 257 wetherby mag

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kcp99, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcp99

kcp99 Member

Jul 2, 2007
    looking for info on a weatherby vangaurd series 2 rifle in 257 weatherby mag caliber . i won it at a whitetail unlimited banquet . it is satin wood finish and matte finish on bluing sub moa . it has the whitetail unlimited logo lazored into stock . any ideas what it is worth and any info on best loads for antelope hunting if i decide to keep .what about reloading componets ? thanks kevin
  2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Nashville Tn
    If you are wanting to keep it, it is a great rifle for the chore you have in mind.

You basically know it is a barrel burner of the first magnitude, so heavier bullets will ease that a little. This gun will foul the throat quickly, requiring proper cleaning, and wear the bore in short order, so load development will have to be kept at an absolute minimum.

I would suggest a 117 gr boat tail, and four tablespoons of IMR7828, sparked by Fed 215 primers.

It is not a plinker, but 100 rds of this will take care of your hunting needs for a long time.
  3. mtjack

mtjack TS Member

Oct 24, 2011

As far as a collector value, not so much, my suggestion, shoot it and have a ball. The Vanguard action is made by Howa, as it has been since I bought my first Weatherby Vanguard in 1973. I've always found them to be good shooters especially for the money. Your sub-moa is supposed to group tighter than the base model, however my el-cheapo Vanguard with the black plastic stock purchased six years ago will consistently hold MOA or better out to 300 yards.

I have two handloads I use, a plinker load at 3300fps using IMR 4831 with 100 grain Serrias and a hunting load using RL 22 with 115 grain Barnes TSX’s at a little short of 3400fps. Fed 215M primers are used for both. Both loads shoot flat with recoil about like a 130 grain 270 or 150 grain 30-06. Over the years I have only shot 300 or so rounds through it mostly at 300 yard gongs at the range. For the last six years it has been my med game rifle using it on 4-5 antelope and that many or more big mule deer.

Barrel burner? I guess it could be but why worry, for crying out loud; you wouldn't buy a race car to go down the lane to get the mail, pace yourself and don’t let the barrel get too hot and it should last for years.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
    I'm with all the other guys. I have a Remington Model 700BDL/LSS in .257 Wby Mag with a 4.5-14x40mm AO Leupold VX-3 scope. Those rounds are like little ICBMs! Mine puts three 115-grain Berger VLDs over 73.5 grains of H1000 sparked by Federal 215s into 0.866" at 100 yards and the the little rascals are leaving the muzzle at 3,348fps. I tried other recipes that had muzzle velocities in the 3,400s but the accuracy wasn't as good.

One powder I never tried but wanted to was Retumbo - my 7mm RUM loves it and shoots one-hole groups (really!) at high velocities with 140 and 150-grain bullets. But having found that H1000 load, I decided to pass on any further barrel-wearing load development for the .257WM.

5. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

Dec 13, 2006
    I bought my son a .257 Weatherby some years ago: The reason was that I had asked two different guys, and a few years apart, who both hunted a lot here in North America, and could afford anything, what their favorite caliber was, and they both said "A .257 Weatherby Magnum." That was without any coaching or prompting. Both of those fellows are now deceased, but they each left me with a positive idea of what caliber I wanted to get for my son.

My son is a bow hunter; so he didn't shoot at anything for a long time: Then, a couple years ago, he had a Wyoming Antelope permit, and shot an antelope with it. His comment was "Dad; you didn't tell me this gun had all that smack down power!" I said "Now you know."

Keep it. Shoot it. Yes, you can burn up a barrel, but it would most likely happen if you shot a bunch of rounds through it at once and let it get too hot.
    The .257 is a hell of a gun.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.