1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weatherby Ultra Lightweight 300 WTBY WTB thoughts?

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by mnhunter2, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnhunter2

mnhunter2 TS Member

0   0   0

Have been thinking about getting a 300 WTBY UL and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as how this gun would work for a hunting rifle?

2. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

0   0   0

All depends what you are hunting, elk or dangerous game fine , if its deer- waaaay too much gun, it also cripples behind. My 2$ worth.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

why? you want to see how well you stand up to recoil?

I have had several Weatherby 300 mags and they will get your attention

Never have had an ultralight though

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

Have your dentist make sure your back teeth are securely anchored. Same for my 340.

Ouch.

HM

HM

5. cnsane

cnsane Member

0   0   0

I own a 300 WBY lasermark and in my first-hand experience they don't really kick much. Perhaps three times as much as a trap load in a 12 ga. I suppose one would ring your bell with the scope ocular if you didn't have a clue on how to shoulder it properly. Or you could shoot it off a Caldwell Crutch and never learn proper form. On the other hand, it's a fast 30 cal capable of taking anything you can afford to hunt, given proper shot placement. Which is assured by frequent practice. Which is affordable by reloading the brass yourself. After I learned to master a .458, which I still shoot on a weekly basis, anything less seems like a rimfire if I mount the gun to my shoulder correctly. Even a trap gun will kick the $h!+ out of your cheek and shoulder if you don't use proper form.

6. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

0   0   0

I have a Sako Finnbear, 26" bofurs 300 WBM. Use 150 and 180 grain nosler partition
    loaded to the max+. Large mule deer at 165 one frontal chest shot, 150 gr, dropped, several large elk in Montana near Bob Marshall and the Park,85 yds cross canyon, was munching, one slight side frontal 150 grain, left hoof lifted, he dropped down and so on. Deer, I reduced loads on smaller deer all one shot.
    Large brown bear, was an accident, she had cubs we walked into the wrong area, we tried to back out, went thru chest into body cavity, blew it apart.
    All high velocity light bullets, give hydrostatic shock effect in body cavity.
    You dont feel the recoil when hunting.
    If you cant hit at distance dont shoot.I sometimes guided up in Montana when my business was very slow,winter, I was friends with owner, get used to your rifle, shoot it alot, use good ammo for the animals sake. Lee

7. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

0   0   0

The 300 WBY is a great load. It will take anything in North America. The gun is going to be light so if you plan to hike with it, it's a good choice. If you plan to stand hunt more, and shoot it regularily off a bench you might want to get a regular wt version. Yes it will recoil but most hunters shoot one or two rounds a year hunting and don't feel the recoil anyway. Try carrying most rifles up a mountain sheep hunting or elk hunting and they'll wish for the light weight gun.

The light wt barrel will put the first shot right where it's supposed to be. The second shot will be good too. If you try to shoot a good five shot group you might be dissappointd but you are supposed to hit the critter on the first shot anyway.

Buy it and good luck hunting.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

You won't like it and really it is the combination of the worst of two worlds.

The round is a very high peformance 30 cal but factory ammo is very expensive as is the brass for reloading. Where a round like this really has merit is at very long range but in an ultra-light package you won't have a good platform for a long range gun so why have all the power? Also to take advantage of long range capability you really need to shoot a lot at various distances and conditions. I guarantee you won't be doing this kind of practice with an ultralight 300 WBM.

If you want an ultra light hunting rifle look at chamberings like the 270 win or 280 Rem as the top end. Both of those rounds will get the job done on anything that roams the lower 48.

My curent favorite big game gun is a A-bolt in 300 WSM. This gun shoots great and even though it is a standard weight rifle it is at the upper end of my tolerance for recoil. All the power I ever wanted or could use.

9. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

0   0   0

It's a lot more cartridge than my .300 Win mag. I can shoot my rifle comfortably, but it's a Savage 110 that weighs about 8 1/2 pounds with a scope. I don't think I would want it any lighter.

10. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

0   0   0

I have .300 Weatherby Vanguard that I've used as a backup rifle for elk. I load 200 gr Nosler partitions ahead of 77.0 gr of RL22 for a nominal 2950 fps. It is not a pleasant load to shoot from the bench but is accurate. I shot a bull elk from 320 yards this fall with it, and did not notice the recoil, but all in all I would have rather been using my .280 Remington. Unfortunately I broke the stock at the wrist a couple of days before, so was forced to use the backup.

I shudder to think of shooting a .300 in an ultralight rifle.

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I have a Sako TRG-S in 300 WBM. I have added a muzzle brake and a recoil pad. This is a VERY light rifle. Recoil is very manageable and everything taken with it has been one shot.

I learned to do much of my hunting in the UK and they prefer a head or neck shot if possible (saves meat from damage). One needs to practice to do this, but it pays great dividends in the field.

I think it is a perfect round for hunting - will take anything the US has to offer. Slic Lee nails it perfectly. Bullet weight and shot placement matters, and hand loading can be your friend...

12. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

0   0   0

Check out the Kimber Montana ... I have a 300 Win Mag ... very well made rifle ... yes they will rattle your teeth when shooting from a bench ... but these are not made to be used as bench guns ... in a hunting situation the recoil doesn't seem to be any different than 30-06 ... because you are tuned into the animal ... also you can have a muzzle brake installed

13. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Member

0   0   0

I have shot / hunted with 300 wby. rifles for 30 plus years including a Mark V ultra light. All 300 wbys I have owned had a very memorable snap included in the recoil. "Come back fast and hard". Only exception I found with this is the Mark V accumark with a heavy scope and muzzle brake. It is a pleasure to shoot,
    excepting the noise! The light weight was not as accurate as the heavier ones, just simply had to much barrel whip to do much better than 1.5" groups. If your only shooting it at game you will never notice the additional recoil. When sighting it in put a bag of shot between your shoulder and the pad, not to bad that way. Hope it helps.

Lewis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
300 weatherby magnum ultralight with brake

300 weatherby ultra light accurizing

bullets for a weatherbe 300 wtb mag

how to get a weatherby ultralight rifle to shoot well

recoil on weatherby ultralight 300 win mag

weatherby 300 ultra light
weatherby mark v ultra lightweight 300 wby
weatherby ultra lightweight 300 wby with brake