1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weatherby Orion II ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenns, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenns

glenns Member

I bought this gun as part of a package deal a while back. Not exactly sure what model it is.

Can someone identify for me - Weatherby Orion II? (saw a pic of a Orion III and only diff seemed to be the gold on the receiver).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Looks like it from the few that I saw googling it.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

looks like mine

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Very nice gun...what length barrels?

5. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I own an Orion Classic Grade II but it doesn't have that type of stock...Mine has a round Prince of Whales style stock...Great gun! I love mine!!! BTW...That is a real nice piece of wood on your Orion...Looks like the wood from a Grade IV....

6. glenns

glenns Member

GN7777..... - is your gun a Orion II Classic Field?

CalvinMD - has 26" barrels - shoots really nice.

Luckyman - do you use yours for trap?

7. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

No..Mine has 28 inch barrels....I shoot a BT-100 for Trap....

8. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I wore out a Weatherby Athena pretty fast shooting trap when I first started. The hinge got very loose and one of the ejectors fell out when I opened the gun. Never did find the spring in the grass.

I phoned Weatherby and they told me it was not intended for high volume shooting, which I thought was a pretty strange thing for a manufacturer to say. Sold it and bought my first XT.

Nice field gun though.

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont know which model mine is- but I am sure it was a hunting model- I purchased it new

have shot a lot of birds with it

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Bobdog that is very strange that you wore one out and that someone at Weatherby actually told you they weren't meant for high volume shooting...Was your Athena made by SKB or one of the ealier models?

For the record I have easily put over 10,000 thousands rounds through the gun over the past 12 years and shoot with a guy that has put well over 50,000 rounds through his shooting Trap with steel loads no less without any issues...I think he maybe replaced a spring....I have not had to do one thing to mine.....The modified Greener Crossbolt incorporated by SKB is one of the strongest and most reliable made!!!

11. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Mine turned into a flop-open gun at around 10,000 rounds. The ejector spring was an easy thing to replace.

You're probably as surprised as I was at the time. I called the California office and was asking her if the hinge could be tightened up as a warranty repair, since it wasn't that old. I was even willing to pay for it if necessary. Maybe she was just shining me on because she wanted to avoid a warranty repair, she was having a bad day, I don't know. I was just struck by her comment. You expect a distributor to be more supportive about their products.

I always liked that gun, too. Nicely made and good wood. I got it through one of those Certificate of Deposit deals from North Country Bank in Michigan and considered it a fair deal.

On the other hand, I put nearly 80,000 rounds through the Browning I replaced it with, and my nephew is still shooting it. My guess is that field guns are built to different standards than trap guns.

12. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Do you know if it was made by SKB? What year was this that you owned the gun?

13. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Never did answer your question. It was definitely a Japanese made gun, and I think it was SKB. I'm pretty foggy about this, but was there another Japanese barrel manufacturer in the mid-1990's? Mioku or something?

14. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Miroku is another Manufacturer that Weatherby must have used at one time and then switched to SKB....Browning actually had Miroku make many of their Citori models for a long time....Now the Weatherby guns are made by an Italian company as of a year or two ago...The SKB guns were very solid except for some of the leaf springs breaking from time to time....I have not had anything break in 12 years of shooting my SKB/Weatherby...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

weatherby orion 2

weatherby orion for trap

weatherby orion ii

weatherby orion ii skb

weatherby orion trap

weatherby orion trap gun
weatherby orion trap reviews
weatherby trap shotguns