1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weatherby or Stoeger or Tristar

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ky4some, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ky4some

ky4some Member

I'm just starting to do some trap shooting as I follow my son around in the AIM program. Right now I'm shooting a Weatherby PA-08 Upland, 12 gauge pump, 28" barrel, nice wood stock. I've considered trading it for a Stoeger Condor O/U 28" barrel or a Tristar Sporting Edition in either semi-auto or O/U (both are 30" barrel). Are either of these shotguns decent entry level guns or am I better off sticking with the Weatherby pump and saving my money for something better down the road?

2. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

You are better off using your pump and saving for a good gun down the road. Buying either of those you mentioned will only put you that much farther from your goal.

3. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Keep the Weatherby.

4. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

You don't state your budget, but a great gun, not just a starter gun, is the Beretta 391 Trap (aka Parallel Target). Do not get the field or sporting configuration. The trap model is a great gun for everything. 30" bbl is great all-around length. Nice used $850-950. Some nice ones for sale on TS.com now. The models that you are referencing are not target shotguns. Do your homework, then buy.

WNCRob

5. ky4some

ky4some Member

Thank you for the replies. You have confirmed what I began to think after doing some research and thinking.

Rob - thanks for the tip on the 390 or 391. That's a great looking auto loader that I think would be a good one for me. Do they all have the slightly taller ribs or is that something that is specific to the 30" barrel on the Parallel Target model?

6. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

The "trap" model has as slightly taller rib, whether its the 28", 30" or 32" barrel. It has a parallel comb stock, which can be adjusted to your preferred POI (check this by the quality of your breaks). It comes with 2 sets of shims to adjust the offset and the Drop...the "trap shims" will result in a slightly higher poi, and forr a few bucks you can also get the shims for the sporting clays guns if you want a little more drop at the comb to lower the poi. I think there are 2 sets, at about $10 per set (Colegun) While I have a Blaser for sporting clays, I shoot my 391 a lot for sporting (30" bbl) and skeet (28" bbl). I shoot it well for trap as well, but usually shoot my Lnjtic. But, if I had to have just one gun, it would be the 391, and I would feel that I had a great gun for all 3 games. And if you buy it right, if you ever decide to sell it, you'll get most of your $$$ back. Buy used..there are nearly new guns being sold on TS.com for great prices.

WNCRob

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

If you will not be shooting doubles, the BT-99 is a good gun too.

If you get the Beretta, get a shell catcher and also get a "nub" added if you intend to shoot doubles. Tron does the nub and I know he tests them before he ships them back so you know it works when he sends it back. He is one of the vendors on the site.

Don Verna

8. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

MIA has a 390 up for auction (ends tomorrow) that would put you miles ahead.

$600 so far?? A real bargain possible.

9. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Here's another vote for the Beretta 391, and another "thumbs down" for the Stoeger or Tristar.

Then again, if your son is a teenager, he already considers you an embarrassment, in which case the Tristar or Stoeger will simply confirm his feelings.

bluedsteel

10. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Yes to a 391 parallel target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
tri star or stoeger shotguns
tristar condor shotguns

tristar vs stoeger

tristar vs stoeger semi automatic 12 gauge shotgun

tristar vs stoeger shotguns