1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weatherby Athena Question ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluedsteel, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I enjoyed mine (Athena III) for many years. I had the Field Version, but it performed well at clays. I kept it in immaculate condition and sold it to buy a dedicated trap gun.

I never had any problems with it, and it was one beautiful shotgun.

Jef

2. new loader

new loader Member

Fabulous guns, buy it & never look back.

[​IMG]

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

If it is truly " very cheap" then you can't go too wrong.

4. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Chris, I had an Athena grade 4 trap with the MC stock and 32" barrels. It looked new loaders. I shot the gun at skeet, sporting clays and trap. Its only drawback at trap is that it was a flat shooter. It was an older model that had mechanical triggers rather than inertia. What a great feature to have when you drop a shell in the wrong barrel during games. I only had one problem when some flaky powder residue got in the portion of the receiver where the cocking rod slid and kind of wedged it in place. Taking the stock off and giving it a thorough cleaning fixed it right up and I never had any grief from it after that. I had subgage tubes for it too. Made shooting .410 and 28 gauge feel like a .22. Interestingly, even without regular cleaning or oiling, the chambers on that gun never once developed any film of rust. An excellent gun, in my opinion, as to looks, features and durability. Like I said, the worst thing about the gun was it being a flat shooter. Hope this helps.

John E.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.