1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weatherby 30/378 Accumark w/ Reloading Bundle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by onekenh, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onekenh

onekenh TS Member

I like to get an idea on the used market value for a Weatherby Accumark 30-378 WBY. Magnum, factory Muzzle Break,Bushnell 6500 Elite scope 2.5-16x50mm w/sunshield, Proffesionally Installed Magnum Bear Trap Recoil reducer,Kick-Ez recoil pad and trigger job, very little felt recoil !
    I have 5 boxes of New factory Weatherby Nosler Ammo.all is bundled with RCBS Rock Chucker press,30-378 dies, Lyman Electronic Scales, RCBS manual scales,Case Trimmer,Powder Trickler,approx 150 Barnes Bullets,Primers,Powder,20 empty brass cases,and misc stuff to make your reloading complete and at a savings over new ammo.
    It has only been fired 20 times for break in and sight in. Please, give me some ideas of value and a good market place I can move it some Ohio shops say they dont have the market for this great piece,one look at the ballistics and you'll agree you can custom build your ammo for big game or 500 yd varmits! ballistically speaking, it's a great piece and the total package retail is over $3,500 for new ! Please P.M. any offers, sorry no trades

onekenh_2012_1007.jpg

Thank You
    Ken Hockensmith

2. smp005

smp005 Member

Just sent you a PM....

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Put this in the For Sale Section where it belongs.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

In all fairness to Ken (who was brave enough to post what appears to be an actual name), if you've never shot a big boomer with a muzzle brake, you don't know what a brake can do for those cartridges. Our son has a Remington Model 700BDL/DM with a factory brake in 7mm STW - I promise you it kicks much less than our BDL in .270 and the bigger you go, the more a brake effects what you feel. I have a BDL/LSS in .338 RUM that used to move your stool back on each shot from a bench; it should generate more recoil than Ken's .30/338 WBY but with a brake, it is very comfortable to shoot. Conversely, smaller calibers don't benefit much. In those cases, a brake is not much more effective than porting on a shotgun.

The biggest drawbacks to a muzzle brake are the extra length it adds to an already longish 26" magnum barrel and the added noise. Earplugs AND muffs are in order from a bench and Walker Game Ears when hunting.

By the way Ken, that is a super rig! Someone is going to become a proud owner.

Ed

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If I were you I would split this up.

You can sell all the other stuff, but you might want to keep the die set with the rifle.

I started loading that caliber before ammo was available. Unprimed brass was $1.50 EACH! We called Sierra and they said start at 93 grains of 7828. We wound up with 102 grains and got 3300 FPS out of a 180 grain bullet.

With the brake the gun feels like a 30-06. With the thread cap it is the introduction to time travel. Knocks you into the middle of next week.

HM

6. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

Ken, what Av Ed said is spot on. I don't have a 30-378 but do have a .338 Win Mag. With the brake on it I can go out and shoot it on paper with no more recoil than my .308 or .280. If you have someone spotting for you have them stand or sit a directly as possible behind you. First time I shot it over my chrono the concussion knocked the sky screens off. In 1998 a friend bought one almost identical to your's, a box of factory ammo at Cabela's with tax was $90.00. Not what you would call an economic target gun. Someone else will have to give you an idea of it's value.
    Bill

7. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

To give you an idea of the market value on the rifle and scope (I'm not going to speak to the value of the entire package), I have personally seen this exact rifle sell for between $950-1200 on multiple occasions. The scope will probably yield about $450...so that makes the rifle and scope package around $1400-1650. I know that's not what you're wanting to hear since you have some much invested in the setup, but the reality of it is this type of gun appeals to very few individuals. I myself love the big boomers, and regularly use the 7mm, 300, and 338 RUM's; but even with the muzzle break, this gun is more than most can, or for that matter, want to handle. Your best best for maximizing resale value is to split up the package. The reloading supplies will appeal to a great number of guys, while the gun may be a bit tougher sale. As for where to have the best luck selling this rifle, your best bets will be over on 24hourcampfire.com or longrangehunting.com. Hope this helps, and good luck with your sale. Garrett

8. Jamotom

Jamotom Member

Ken: that's rather unique caliber. google "On Your Own Adventures", it's a western hunting forum. You will be speaking to the market who can use such a shooting iron.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Ken, my son or I could be interested but in just the rifle, the ammo and the dies. I use only Leupold scopes and have several on hand that would be ideal for that rifle. And I have all that reloading gear and then some. I think you should follow the advice others have given you - separate the goods and sell them individually. Scopes, regardless of their quality and cost new, often add very little to a rifle's value. It's never the right scope for the buyer - just like with me. And most who would consider buying such a rifle probably already have all that equipment - again, just like me.

I then suggest you set prices on the items. People dislike making offers because they fear insulting the seller with an offer that turns out to be much lower than he/she might be expecting.

Finally, as already mentioned, .30-378 WBY certainly is a chambering that will have limited appeal. It is a lot more than most hunters need, the Weatherby name says "expensive to feed" to some and "inaccurate" to others while wildcats, even "domesticated" ones like this for which factory ammo is available, present a mental challenge to less experienced rifle enthusiasts.

I would have absolutely no interest in it if not for our son. He has a fetish for stuff like this and is the only reason I own the big cannons that I do. Whitetail deer are usually taken at no more than 100 yards in these parts, Pennsylvania's black bears are nothing like their western cousins in size and Elk hunting is still by draw, so not many are interested. Couple that with my arthritic joints and you'll understand why the biggest gun I take hunting is my .280 Ackley Improved.

Best of luck to you with the sale.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

market value of a 30-378 weatherby accumark rifle

weatherby30-378 forums