1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing shoulder pad or shooting shirt under vest?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1100 classic trap shooter, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1100 classic trap shooter

1100 classic trap shooter TS Member

Anyone ever wear a shoulder recoil pad or shooting shirt with shooting pad under a shooting vest? Did it help with a long day of shooting or was it a bad idea? May slide or miss with your gun mount, just looking for ideas and thoughts.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Shape and position the butt pad so it fits your shoulder pocket (or have somebody who knows what they're doing do it for you).

The more "stuff" you jam between the gun and your shoulder the worse your gun will fit you and the less secure and consistent your gun mount will be.

Keller

3. gus

gus Member

I use the Browning harness. Works good and stays in place.

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I use to use a PAST shoulder harness pad....then I fell victim to being a slave to fashion and got myself a Browning mesh shooting vest with the REACTAR pad insert. Either pad allows me to shoot all day, with regard to recoil.

I did buy a Filson shirt with their shooting pad insert but felt it was too "clumsy" and "bulky", hard for me to get a good mount...just didn't feel right.

Use whatever fits you correctly and you are comfortable with.

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I agree with loosing the pads. I did use them early on but got away from them very quickly.

A good fitting stock with a KickEz pad will allow you to shoot all day nekid if you desire... not recommended however.

Send your stock to Tron and get an adjustable Kickez installed and forget the pads.

Speaking of pads... I know someone who used to use female stick on sanitary pads inside their shooting shirt. He wasn't a she either!!!

Guy Babin

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Now that's funny Guy. I can only imagine the razzing that guy took.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Browning vest with a reactor pad insert.

John C. Saubak

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Kay Ohye pins a pad under his vest.

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Most vests have a pocket for a shoulder pad. I have a 1/4" thick pad in mine. I shoot a variety of guns and either had to add length to all of their LOP or use the pad. It works well for me. Mark

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Why does our ability to learn or accept something new diminish as we think we know everything there is to know? :)

Hap

11. Oregunner

Is that known as becoming an old fart? sometimes synonymous with trap shooter?

Mark

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Look at most of the top shooters in the sport. The majority of them shoot in a plain tee shirt, or a lite weight vest with minimal padding. I was told by one of them that he preferred shooting in a tee shirt because he could always tell that the stock was positioned correctly on the shoulder and firmly in the shoulder pocket. By wearing too much on the shoulder you run the risk of positioning the stock wrong and not be able to feel it.... That being said, I like to shoot with a Bob Allen light weight vest with a very thin pad on the left shoulder... Just my preference... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

..................Bad idea........................SMOKIT

14. Oregunner

Maybe you guys need to start a Naked Trapshooters Club. No wait....... maybe not. Most trapshooters I see carry plenty of natural padding. Mark

15. laura!

laura! Member

I took a Phil Kiner clinic. He admitted to using a stick on feminine hygiene product from time to time. Whatever it takes to keep you in the game!

16. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I think they are a bad idea and completely unnecessary if you have a well fitted gun. They are a crutch for the ignorant.

17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I wear a shirt without a pad. The recoil pad on the gun is enough. I do wear a cup, however, just in case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
padded shoulder skeet shooting shirts
reactor recoil pad versus past recoil pad
recoil shoulder harness

shooting shirts with recoil pad

shooting vest recoil insert
shot gun shooting shirt with shoulder pads
shotgun shooting shirts with recoil pocket
trap shooting shirt