1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing out a field M12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kehrby, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

My one and only 12 ga Winchester Model 12 was purchased new in 1937. The original owner spent time in the service of our country during WWII and during that time the gun was not used.

He used the gun for hunting, that I know. He bought his new wife a Winchester M42 so that she could go hunting with him in 1950, I own that gun also. He passed away in 1978 at which time his M12 was stored away until I inherited it around the year 2000.

This shotgun is quite worn by anyones standard. To me it shows the wear of a much used trap gun. I still use it from time to time and have actually used it for trap although not much. Here is my question and I wish the lady who gave me these guns was still around to ask. How does a field M12 get worn out unless he used it for target shooting? Most field guns get 500 rounds in a lifetime.

Steve

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Is it worn out internally or does it look cosmetically worn out?

I've seen a lot of field guns that looked horrible outside but were like new inside.

Lots of good people to restore it if you wish.

Regards.....Gerald

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Is it still tight ... or loose and sloppy?

I agree with Over the hill ... it probably rode around in the bed of a pick up and a new stock and reblue is all it needs.

4. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Probably a good cleaning and light oiling and it will
    be good for another 25 years. Rebluing won't increase
    price and might have a reverse effect. If it is loose
    might need some parts replaced which no big deal.
    Just my opinion - learned the hard way.

Doyal

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Most field guns get 500 rounds in a lifetime"

I beg to differ on that. I can easily put over 100 rounds a year thru my 870 Wingmaster. That's just Dove hunting alone. I have had it for 31 years. I don't do near the hunting that some of my friends do. Heck some of the guys on here might put close to 500 thru theirs a year. Lot's of serious bird hunters on here.

It's worn but not near worn out....

grntitan_2009_2503.jpg

6. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I said it was quite worn but not worn out. Yes the reciever bluing is just about gone and wood is beat up. Thats fine, cosmetic. Internally though the bolt is somewhat loose when it is closed, up and down movement in the rear where it locks in? I also had to tighten up the ring in the barrel because the assembly was loose when it was installed. I'm sure this gun isn't worn out but I have seen trap M12s that don't have a loose bolt. I just didn't think even normal hunting use over years could cause this.

Steve

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Steve,

Your Model 12 is 74 years old. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that gun was used for everything. Back then not everybody could afford a specialty gun(just targets). Most hunters would take their field guns to the Trap/Skeet range to practice up for the upcoming hunting seasons. So I would bet that gun has seen it all and a lot of it. Most likely it also bounced around in a truck as stated above. I wasn't refuting your statement that it was internally worn out, only that statement of most field guns only see 500 rounds in its lifetime. Sounds like your gun was used and enjoyed.

Matt

8. wm rike

wm rike Member

About the only way to wear out a field gun, mechanically, is to neglect it, shoot it wet, dirty, and unlubed for years on end.

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

There have been a lot of threads here on problems of 12s.

Google & enjoy.

However, if you have excessive movement of the breech bolt when pressed from the bottom, you probably have wear on the operating rod or where it cams into the breech bolt, possibly a dangerous situation??? Also check the receiver notch.

As far as the adjusting bushing goes, Herb Orre told me once not to take the gun apart everytime for cleaning.

He claimed it loosened them up. Since you were able to tighten it up with a notch or two I doubt it was apart too many times.

Regards....Gerald

10. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I do still use it and enjoy it. I have considered getting it fixed up and maybe even converting it to a trap gun. I think I would probably end up having as much in it as a good M12 trap by the time it was repaired, reblued and I found some nice wood for it.
    Thanks for your ideas guys. I believe you are probably right in that he could've used it for target also. These days we have a different gun for everything.

Steve

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The drooping bolt in a model 12 is usually caused from a lack of lubrication on the internal parts, especially on the operating rod cam. A well maintained model 12 can shoot for years in stiff competition type shooting and like the Timex watch, it keeps on ticking. You may have to have the cam rebuilt to securely close the bolt in battery though. Wrights in Ill. can do this simple job for you too. Thoroughly clean and lube the gun and enjoy it for years to come.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.