1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weak Loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

My son emailed me about concerns he had with his reloads. He said that every now and then his fellow shooters tell him that his loads are sounding very weak. (Although he is still breaking the target) He said he has weighed several charges of powder and the loads varied from 18 grains to 18.5 grains. (He loads Solo 1000) Anybody got any ideas as to what might cause a weak sounding load? He uses Figure 8 wads in an STS hull. (1 1/8 oz load) Thanks. Ed

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

YA the SOLO.........I loaded it once, never again. Lots of "dingers" for me too...................your milage may vary.

GS

3. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

A half a grain is quite a bit of variability. Perhaps the powder bushing isn't traveling all the way under the powder bottle? Adjustment needed, or failure to hold at the bottom for a second or so, or erratic pull timing during the session, or possibly even a tight powder or shot bottle. I think I've had all of those at one time or another. BDodd has straightened me out along the way. Thanks, BDodd.

all the best,
    john

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

An old shootin buddy of mine had the same problem with Solo. It has been a couple of years back though. He was so frustrated that he almost stopped using it. Everthing is fine now, hasn't had a problem since.

ec90t

5. esoxhunter

The shells are loaded on my old Hornady 366. I had not experienced any problems when I used to reload on it; although I was using Clays and/or Red Dot powder. I looked at the machine about a month ago and it seemed to function fine. However, I don't know if he pulls the handle erratically or not. I will mention to him to assure that the handle "bottoms out" when loading. Thanks. Ed

6. IM390

IM390 Member

Is he following a published load? Has he ever check a charge weight? Powders can drop differently from prescribed settings. Also check the wads and make sure they are going in straight. Do this by pulling apart a couple of loaded shells and checking for: actual load weights of powder, shot, powder migration up the side of the wad; powder/shot mixing together; and see if the wad cup is deformed in any manner.

IM

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

What primer is he using. It is possible that a change to a little hotter primer may help. This has worked in the past with low pressure or light loads but the load you list doesn't sound like either. As IM390 says above a cocked wad will cause this also and if your wad guide fingers are getting worn it will happen occasionally.
    --- Chip King ---

8. C H S

C H S TS Member

You'll get funny sounding reports if the wads aren't seated tight against the powder, too.

Andy

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

It's best to have any loader mounted securely and operate it consistently with even strokes. Poorly mounted and loading as quick as possible may be the reason for such fluctuations in powder drops? That's how Sir Dodds loads get to such low SD numbers when he chronographs I'd wager. That and choice of proper components. Hap

10. esoxhunter

He is currently using Fiocchi primers; however, he experienced the same thing with Remington primers. I will have him check the wad guide fingers. Thanks. Ed

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would try a different primer. The two you mentioned have been problematic for me in some loads. Make sure that you adjust the powder charge accordingly to keep the pressures within reason. The ideal pressure range may vary depending on the load, but with most powders, I try to keep it between 9K and 10K. Some powders are harder to ignite and you can get some extreme variances in performance with some primer and even wad combinations. If memory serves me, I used the Winchester W209 with Solo 1000 and had few issues, but I never tried the loads in cooler weather and I used it in the Winchester hulls. The Winchester W209 and Federal 209A primers have solved ignition problems for me in the past. You need to be especially careful about pressure increases with the Federal Primers.

I have seen several reloaders try Solo 1000 and then switch back to something else after experiencing the same issues that you described. I don't know if they were able to resolve the issues, but they didn't have anything good to say about the powder. My experience was neutral, but I didn't feel the need to buy any more of it either, especially after seeing several other reloaders having issues as you described when using it.

12. Frenchy

Frenchy Member

I have said this before on his site,after you have loaded up your favorite load borrow a cronograph and check the real speed,you will really be supprised at the results.This is a must if you want consisent loads.You may want to try out how many times you can reload the hulls you choose to reload before they start to loose velocity.Example,if you take a load from a shot shell reloading manual and load hull,primer,powder,wad,shot amount in your shotgun barrel it may only be shooting 1100 fps,I have proved this to more than a couple of my friends.Hand loading is like everything else you only get out of it the work you put into it,its still fun to learn about all this,even though it can be hard work at times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.