1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

We Need Input

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KenC, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenC

KenC Member

The Delta Trap Club is upgrading it's last six trap walkways to be ADA compliant (Handicap Accessible). We are completely ripping out the old unattached walkway strips & pouring new, modern style, connected walkways.

Our question is: What is the best way to 'engrave' the yardage numerals in the concrete? We don't want to stencil/paint them; we would like the numerals 'engraved' in the concrete.

We would also consider permanently embedding something like house numerals if we could get them cheap enough.

All suggestions welcome. If anyone has done this or knows of any clubs who have done this please let me know.

Thanks,

Ken Church
    Delta Trap Club
    Delta, Colo.

2. JTEA

JTEA Member

How about reversed raised numbers mounted on small boards? Press them into the curing concrete. As mold makers and concrete companies would do. Do a web search / check for concrete tooling companies.

At worst, get a "handyman" with a router to cut them into pine (in reverse) as you want them to appear. (Chisels will help) Raised letters in reverse.

2nd approach: Cut letters into flat wood into reverse. Get some strong plaster or plastic casting resin and make a cast into the form. Remove when set, then clean. Use plenty of separator at all times. Even grease will work - Vaseline is cleaner. When using plaster use open weave burlap as a back-up for strength. If resin, as in auto body work, put in some fiberglass. I would guess that bondo could even be used, if separated well.

Here's a thought for the ATA top brass: How about sets of numbers the ATA has and keeps that they loan out to clubs when they're pouring new concrete? Plan dates in advance, cost of shipping paid by club, happy shooters for years to come!

Drop me a note if you do it yourself and have more questions. If the ATA wants me to make some prototypes they can contact me. I can make some in reinforced rubber to any size and requirement. They could be washed, wouldn't break, last for years. Should already be something out there to do the job. Master molds of the numbers could be made once, new rubbers could be cast indefinitely.

Come to think of it, if a number of clubs individually want this, I'll clear some time and start making some sets for sale. It would require 12 rubber sets of numbers to denote each yardage. Let me know.

Best, Joel

3. ctreay

ctreay Member

How about a homemade idea? Get some solid copper wire, about size 8 or 6 bend your numbers out of it, set them flush in the cement and leave them there. When the cement cures just buff them up a bit and you will have numbers forever.

ctreay

4. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

New gun club in Las Vegas has them stamped right in the concrete. Really looks and works nice. No maintenance

5. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

We used the address numbers made of metal. When the cement was just about cured we used the numbers as stamps. We stamped the numbers into the cement. We only stamped the ODD numbers as there is no need to stamp every yard

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

You can rent or buy the numbers from a concrete contractor's supply house.

7. KenC

KenC Member

Thanks guys!

Great responses all!

I knew I would get some ideas from y'all.

Ken Church

8. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ken,

We used the metal address letters for houses. Bought them at Lowe's. Used a rubber mallet and a flat board to "press" them into the setting concrete,put a couple of small bolts through them to lift them out. Then used a soft brush to clean up any marks on the surface. That was 8 or 9 years ago and they still look great.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.