1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

We need a new wad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

We need a new wad with the height dimension of the Remington SP-12 This wad is shorter than a AA White and Taller Than a AA RED, when I load a bulky powder in a AA hull no other wad comes close to it other than the one with the red collapsible insert, forgot the name of it.

Just take a Down Range XL or a AA and shorten the posts to the height of the SP-12 you would have the correct wad that I need.

Just put the SP-12 and the AA and the XL on a table and look at the base of the shot cup where the lead shot sets on when it is dropped into the cup,

The YELLOW AA is almost the same as a WHITE AA almost no difference.

I remember that wad name it is LAGE wad, I don't think they make it any more.
    If they do I need contact info.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    Hey Gary,

Call or email me. As I have lost your address.

Thanks
    Kevin @ 402-463-3415

3. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

what about making a jig to trim the wad petals??

tony

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Lage Uni Wad, they are no longer made. I bought some on here not long ago. I shot them for years and now I have 3000 to shoot up

5. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I think the Federal 12S4 wad comes close to a Rem. SP-12. I know what you mean, as I use PB, and with 23 grains to get a chronographed 1220 fps with 1 1/8 oz. shot, the usual wads leave you with quite the "pregnant" looking crimp.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A like the R12L Remmy wad. It allows a big dose of Unique in Riefenhauser type hulls with 1 1/8 oz shot.

It is not cheap, and when my supply is gone, I will go with something else.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

ShooterR: I use a white AA wad in a AA hull with 23-24 grains of PB with no problem. Shells are perfect. What's your problem?

8. Jim e

Jim e TS Member

You Might Check Out cb12waa12f114 Replacement Wad For 1.25 Of Shot.

9. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I had the same problem with 21 Grain of Green Dot, Windjammer wad, and new AA hull. I increased the wad pressure, and they load good now, but once in a while get some BB's rolling out the top . Not sure what wad pressure is too much?

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Longshot, what is wrong with just using the SP12 wad?

11. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

shot410ga, I generally use original type AA hulls, in very good condition. I also use a MEC reloader. I find as a rule, if I have to put much more than 30 pounds of wad pressure on a load to get a good crimp, I'll find the occasional one starting to unfold. I don't like that. So I use a load where I use minimal wad pressure ( 20#'s) and get a factory appearing crimp. And they stay that way. When I use bulky powders like 23 grs. of PB (I don't mind the cost) I find the SP12 wads to be perfect. WWAA12 White Wads, which need a lot more wad pressure to initially get a good crimp with this load will often get that "pregnant" look, which does not give me confidence. If you think it's a matter of how my loader is set up, I'd like some suggestions. Thanks in Advance.

12. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

1. "What is wrong with just using the Rem. SP-12 wad?" It's outrageously expensive.

2. "I think the Fed. 12S4 wad comes close to a Rem. SP12." Although they're similar in shot cup height, looking through most any loading manual offering a load with either...the 12S4 almost always has a significantly higher breech pressure.

Buz

13. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

markdenis, I've always felt some wads wouldn't stay "bent" in the leg section, and that caused the crimps to fail over time, as something had to be pushing up against the crimp. I'll try it again with enough wad pressure to crush them enough to get a good crimp and see how it goes. I just looked at a new factory AA Super Hcp. with a bright light behind it, and the AA type wad they use is very compacted, but it is a new shell with unfatigued plastic in the crimp area. By the way has anyone chronographed those 1 1/8 oz. Super Hcp loads lately, wow... I'm getting an average of 1280fps for the AA. The Federals were about the same, yet the Nitro 27's were just a bit over the advertised velocity of 1235. Just a bit of info from some load testing I did the other day.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

ShooterR: I had lots of problems with the MEC's I've owned. Little irritating problems. I went to a dillon, all the problems were solved. Buy a better reloader. Some will not agree, but that's what solves all.

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Pheasantmaster and others, cutting the petals doesn't shorten the base of the cup, SP-12 wads are very expensive, the federal 12s4wads has more recoil. The Lage Uniwad is very adaptable. Is there a clone for the federal 12S4 wad?
    Do you remember the Uni-Wad where you had adjustable posts? There too much trouble to use, when you raise the wad pressure on a Mec Loader to where you smash the wad enough you have trouble getting the wad in the loader, I set the wad seating ram as low as I can and still be able to install the wad.Only the ORIGINAL AA YELLOW wad was shorter. But with the advent of the more bulky powder the only wad that works for me is the SP-12 but at a cost of over $100 per 5,000 is ridiculos, last batch cost $110 and that was several years ago.
    With clones going around $60 per 5,000 it is more affordable. Let's put it this way I am retired and on very limited income now.
    Remington Primers over $125 per 5,00
    Winchester "" "" "" ""
    CCI " " " "
    Cheddite "" near $100 ""
    Rio's " " $80-90
    Fiochi " " $75- 90 But very hard primer cups= mis-fires

I don't mind the larger Rio primer as it is the only primer I use and it lites the slow burnibg powders very well.

Now these instances are my own conclusions from loading for 40+ years.

I feel if they made a shorter wad in the windjammer XL or AA clone they would sell a lot of them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.