1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

We might not be shooting long :-(

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Lead Man, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

What kind of beer you like and what kind of gun you have. I'll be glad to help you out. LOL

2. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

You can afford beer and bait?

Economic pundits are saying a 3-4 year recovery period.

And we haven't bottomed out yet.

Time to steel the spine............

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Everything that I have is paid for except my farm, which is half paid for. If I can't afford to shoot, I'll just hang on to my guns and fly fish until I can afford to shoot.

Hard times are coming.

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thank God, I have No debt at all & a rich uncle( not uncle Sam)---if the mkt doesn't turn around-welcome to Wal-Mart.

Lou

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I recently retired and I am feeling the crunch in my retirement income but I doubt I would ever give up trap ( or booze).

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Trap is forever & so is Johnny Walker Black--- hope my old go to shootin car lasts 2 more years, by then Detroit might have something I might want; otherwise it will be Jap or Korean.

Lou

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Don't need "johnny walker" but do need gun powder. I was raised to expect something of this nature could transpire suddenly by my parents due to the fact they came through the depression. Though this situation was evident for many years majority of people ignored because of how they were getting to live!

8. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I will have to slow down on trap, $3.50 corn and potash at $757 per ton and DAP at $1150 per ton, gonna make it hard to make any money farming. May have to rent it out. Fortuneately, fuel has been comming down, but it will likely go back up on November 5, 2008. I guess I better fill my tanks before then. John E.

9. mt

mt Member

We've cut down tremendously....rarely going anymore. It really does cost too much.

10. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Recurvy - just shoot your bow and try not to lose too many arrows. That's my get well plan. Besides, deer steaks taste better from bow-killed deer.

Joe

11. recurvyarcher

I don't hunt, but archery may be in my future again. At least it will help keep up the eye-hand coordination.

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

John E., I hear yuh!.....we're being quoted $1400/ton for nitrogen fertilizer for '09. I've rented out what farmland I have left to a neighbour mostly due to my arthritis and back health problems and shoot trap when I can manage it physically but like most who had a retirment "plan", it's lookin' pretty shakey right now....glad I don't have a mortgage....

Ron B.

13. DJM

DJM Member

Fishing is not much cheaper than shooting. I refuse to let this stuff get me down. As long as you and loved ones have their health, the sky is not falling. And just yesterday to help with my reloading supply inventory I recieved in the mail two Cabelas coupons for $30 off on a $100 purchase.

14. recurvyarcher

DJM...<i>what are you talking about?</i> A trip down to the local stream with my fly rod and flies costs me nothing. Already have the rod, reel, flies, vest, glasses, etc. The fishing license and trout stamp are a once-a-year very low fee.

Fly fishing is pennies compared to the thousands (over ten) that I spend each year on trapshooting.

15. DJM

DJM Member

Recurvy - I don't think I'd do too well on these larger Minnesota lakes with a pair of chest waders. I have a used boat that cost me $20K and a BT-99 that cost me $800. Of course if my priorities would shift a bit I could have a $20K shotgun and an $800 boat. Don Miller

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The good thing about fishing is when you catch something you can eat it and it don't get much better than that ... I see a lot of people either cutting back or holding back not knowing what tomorrow or next week might bring ... I feel very fortunate to not have any bills other than utilitys, gas, and food, everything else can be eliminated if need be or when the time comes ... It sure don't look good for a lot of people and I have a feeling its going to get a lot worse before it gets better ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of combining my favorite sports...trapshooting and dove hunting...if I miss a target to nail a dove then I'm halfway to a sandwich ; )

18. recurvyarcher

DANFAM, I am not interested in tournament fishing...I like it for the peace factor and the challenge, and I also like to eat fish (when I am allowed to keep them).

You shot a Widow for PLAY?!!! Wow, what shotgun do you shoot for hunting...a K-80 trap special?

My bow was a Bear Kodiak take down Type II with a C riser and glass laminate limbs that had white overlay on the tips (I was told this was better for my favorite Fast Flight strings). It was a 45 lb at full draw. My step dad gave it to me as a gift, since it was the one of his that I shot really well. He custom-ordered it from Grayling. I sold it for book and fee money when I went to college, which was a big mistake (I also sold my Nova SS, and Shelby and Boss mustangs). I cannot replace these items, and I have learned to hang on to things that I love. My TM-1 will be mine until I die.

I now have an off-brand vintage wooden recurve with a flemish string that I use for fun. As in trapshooting, I only shoot targets. I don't hunt. But my bow has sat lonely in the corner of my bedroom since I started shooting trap. I've only shot it once in the last two years. I also have not played with my swords or slingshots since I took up trapshooting.

19. recurvyarcher

Just an outdoors girl that grew up with a brother is all...

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

And I'm her adopted brother...don't be messin' wit my sis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.