1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

We lost a great one Jim Sadler!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill Roberts, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Loss of a Great Friend

At approximately 11:00pm, January 17, 2012 we lost our Good Friend and
    Trapshooting Buddy, Garold "Jim" Sadler", as he lay asleep.

He was one of the great ones!
    He was the first one to help a new shooter
    or a old one that was having trouble.
    He is one of the reasons I'm shooting Trap today!

I, we will miss you my friend!

Bill

2. joehiro

joehiro Member

Jim was well known and a friend to all, his shooting ability was the best. He will be missed. My condolences to Jim's family.

Joe Hironaka

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

sorry about your friend Bill

4. BobHoukOregon

BobHoukOregon Member

Jim, Was a dear friend for many years and nobody ever loved our sport more then he did. He will greatly missed and I have missed the trading and dealing with him that will forever have a place in my heart. Rest in Peace Jim.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

So sorry for the loss of your friend...he sounded like a great guy as most trapshooting folk are...prayers to all whose lives he touched

6. releasebob

releasebob Member

Best meat shooter ever,would buy several cards and donate the winnings back to the club juniors he will be missed.BOB

7. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

I've known Jimmy since I was baby; I'm nearly 41 years old now. Back then, it was the Pasco Gun Club, C&K Gun Club, Prosser, and hundreds of other old gunclubs in the northwest. Memories of Jim and my Dad (Bob),shooting meat shoots, standing shoulder to shoulder (whacking targets with 870's/1100's) is still vivid to me; God did they put the hurt on the competition. As always, (in their clever-witty way)......they figured out how to jokingly tease the other trapshooters. They wore matching light blue shooting-shirts with partial words written on the back. When they were not shooting together, it made no sense.........but when they stood next to eachother, on the back it read:

REMI NGTON

WREC KING

CR EW

Since the early 1970's, they were known as the original "Remington Wrecking Crew". :)

As I aged, I decided to switch from trapshooting and begin sporting clay shooting. If I wasn't traveling with Marv Underwood, I was with Jimmy Sadler. My goodness, the trouble that old guy would get me into. I'm sure I was cheap entertainment for him. :)

Of all of the funny memories I have of Jim, this is one of the clean ones I can share. In the early 1990's the Washington State Sporting Clay Shoot was held in Bremerton, WA. Jimmy and I drove over together......as always, Sadler had been up all night from shooting in some far off place in Montana or New York or who knows where, and drove through the night to pick me up.......no matter how tired he was, he would never let anyone else drive....(how he lived as long as he did without crashing into a tree I don't know)......but that's a different story.........anyway, he and I were at the Bremerton Gun Club on a Saturday night after the first day of shooting. He brings out a potato gun that he and Todd Allison had built. We were shooting large potatos at everything.....out houses, trap houses, small animals....everything (now mind you, I was about 20.....Jim on the other hand was well into his 50's and still a kid at heart). Pretty soon, this drunk guy pipes up...."Hey, I'm gonna jump in my truck, drive down the road and come flying by you guys.......see if you can shoot me with that thing". Jim and I both got giddy at the thought of shooting a potato into a basically brand new Chevy 3/4 Ton pick up......with ACTUAL PERMISSION from the owner as a bonus! Down the road the guy goes.......we hear him peal out and start heading back towards us, over the hill he comes at a roaring speed. What I saw next, I will never forget. I'm standing behind Jimmy and looking over his shoulder (kind of like the guy that loads the bazooka). He fires and out flies this enormous Russett Baker potato. It couldn't have flown any straighter (it almost looked like it was hydro-planing through the air). Jim's follow through shot resembled that of an All-American bunker trap shooter chasing down a hard left angle off of post 1. Jimmy couldn't have placed the shot any better; right square in the middle of the driver's door......caving it in. The guy was lucky he didn't lose his head (another 12" higher and he may have.........but we didn't care, it was hilarious). I think that was the first time I laughed so hard I discovered I had asthma!

Jimmy, I love ya and will miss you! I am blessed to have known you. Thanks for all of the momories and some of the bad habbits you taught me :)

For what it's worth, I've only known my dad to get choked up on very few occasions (each of which had to do with something associated with family). I may be speaking out of turn, but when I broke the news to my dad this morning, his voice cracked; proving what I already new. YOU WERE FAMILY!!!!! Dad asked that I mention a farewell to you from the "Other Half of the Remington Wrecking Crew".

See ya soon enough,
    Shane Loper

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rest easy, Jim. You left behind a lot of good friends that are going to miss you more than you could have ever imagined. Count me as one of them.... God's speed my friend...... Dan

9. BobHoukOregon

BobHoukOregon Member

Shane, I have been trying to hold back the tears. But dam you you brought them out. He was one of a kind and was always fun to be around. Their are a lot of us that have great memories of him. Take care of Dad because he is a one of a kind also.

10. Lyle

Lyle Member

I am sorry to hear of the loss of Jimmy. Shane, I have to agree that your dad is also one of a kind. He is one of my most favorite people that I have met while shooting trap. Please tell Bob from me that I am sorry to hear that he lost his good friend.

Lyle B.

11. Bill Roberts

Great story Shane.

Jimmy found out Lisa was a good cook, so every Sun (before he got sick)
    he would stop by about 4PM and take a nap, Lisa would wake
    him up for dinner. He would eat like a horse then leave. The following Sun
    he would be there again just in time for a nap and dinner again.

And how about the all night poker games! He never wanted to leave.

He was always welcome!

Lisa and I shed a few tears this morning. Haven't told Billy yet
    waiting for him to get off work. Jim was always there to help Billy and I
    when we were learning how to shoot.

If it wasn't for Jim and Bob we wouldn't be in this game.

Bill

12. R_Shrode

R_Shrode TS Member

Very, very sad to hear. Jim was the first guys I remember who took multiple guns out to shoot an event. Not because one might break, he just couldn't bring himself to shoot the same gun for 100 targets.

13. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

RIP Jim. Thanks for all you did for me and the sport. Get on a squad and grind a 100 straight. You may be gone but NEVER forgotten. Corey

14. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

RIP Jimmy! One of my favorite tales of the legend goes like this: At one of the Grand Pacific's in the 80's at Evergreen, Saddler was always known as a "big gun trader/wheeler dealer" he would always be hanging around the for sale rack at a daylight. He had been keeping an eye on a gun that was for sale. He picked it up and took it to go shoot some practice targets, not shooting the gun all that well, he was heading back to the for sale rack to put it back, when someone approached him and said "Did you buy that gun?" Saddler responded with "yep sure did" the guy then says, "well I had my eye on that all week here and really was going to offer the guy a little less" Saddler said "well make me the offer-I've shot it for a while and not sure if I really need it that bad"...... somehow the story goes that Saddler took about 400 less than what was on the gun and sold it. He then had to go find the original owner of it and talk that owner down......Somehow, he located and managed to make 100.00 on the deal when the dust settled. The original wheeler/dealer.

He was one of the Characters that would show up for a shoot, and you knew you were going to have a good time, and there was going to be a story at the end of the weekend you could share with your friends who never made it out- something was always going to happen around that guy. Miss you Jimmy. Rick.

15. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Are we gonna have the gun salute for him at the club? And if so when? JW

16. Bill Roberts

Yes it will be at our Feb fun and games shoot.

Thx for asking buddy.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.