1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

We have lost another one.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Release Trigger, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Gentlemen and Ladies,

I have just received a message from the Widow of the late Mr Robert (Bat) Thomas of Greenville PA. passed away on Sunday the 24th February @ 1pm from pneumonia.

Bat had been in Butler PA. Veterans Hospital fighting poor health for the past four months, I have just returned from a short holiday to receive this message.

Many of you will remember Bat from Vandalia and PA. State shoots in his wheelchair and with his long Barreled guns, forever the good sport and great attitude towards life he will be missed by many.

During our first trip to the USA for the 1996 Grand we were very fortunate to meet Bat and his wife Rose and become lifelong friends.
    We were lucky enough to meet up at Vandalia and shoot with Bat each and every summer from then until 2004, bad health from then on precluded Bat from shooting with us but until 2006 he still met up with us and was one of the guys.
    With much enthusiasm he organised a trip to the PA. State shoot (2006) for us, to show us just what sort of trapshoot his home state could put on, we had the time of our lives.

At the end of each trip Bat would take great delight thoroughly cleaning all our guns prior to our long flight home.

I am sure many trapshooters will remember him and his devilish nature, always a positive word and bright smile.

Rest in peace my friend until we squad again.

Your Lifelong friends and Squad Buddies, Gary, Johnny, Allan, Geoff and Janenne........Sydney Australia.
    releasetrigger_2008_030316.jpg

releasetrigger_2008_030317.jpg

2. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

RIP Bat.......

FRedmon

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I missed meeting Bat. Thanks to you RT, I realize what I missed.

Jack

4. DONNE

DONNE Member

What first led me to watch him was the report of the guns he used. He parked near the locker building and always used those long barrel guns at those traps. I came out one day and heard the odd sound and checked it out. He would shoot from somewhere between the shoulder and hip, and he didn't miss many!

He was proof that if you put your mind to it you could accomplish almost anything. An inspiration ....... RIP Bat.

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Watched him shoot at the Grand many times. He was a damn good shot. I always wondered what became of him.

RIP

6. beaker100

beaker100 Member

rip my friend...always enjoyed when bat would stop by our vending area or i would run into him on the grounds at vandellia...cool dude..doug hubbart gunsmith

7. lc

lc TS Member

So sad, had coffee with him every morning in Vandalia and at the Penna. home grounds. He would plug in his chair at our motorhome at night and the next morning he would wake us up around 5 or 6 am ready to go. Use to watch him roll his own cigaretts, he was really a character.

8. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Our deepest sympathies to his family. Leo and Karla

9. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

God he was fun to watch and a great talent.

RIP.

Terry.

10. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

One of my first memories of Pennsylvania,figured is this guy could do trap,and have fun doing it,so I should be able to as well. He really motivated me,he will be missed!!!!!!
    Glenn Zimmerman

11. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

God, rest his soul!

12. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Pleasure watching Bat shoot from the back fence at the old Grand.
    RIP Old Buddy
    Rooferbob & Kim

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

RIP Bat...a piece of Grand history.

14. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

TTT for an old friend that proved that the trap game is for everyone. The game will miss him. R.I.P. Condolences to Rosie!
    PS He pulled that "Hand me my gun" gag whenever he had somebody new to fall for it. Ljutic must have weighed at least twenty-five pounds & his wife would carry it from trap to trap for him when he asked.

Big Jack AKA Jack Donovan

15. APrice

APrice Active Member

Watched Bat shoot many times at the real Grand. An amazing guy.

16. greta500

greta500 Member

We were so fortunate to watch him shoot In Pa.

A fine gentleman

Greta C & Jack D

17. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Was in PA in about 2003 when some bozo filed a grievance with ATA saying Bats bl was closer to the house then his and he wanted him disqualified. What a donker, they told the guy to get out of the office.

Rest well and shoot the best targets in the beat weather.

18. shotshooter

shotshooter Member

Hey Zard I was riding on the tram in Vandalia and saw this gentleman shooting handicap. The next stop I got off and went back to watch him shoot. That round I watched he ran 25 straight and I will never forget it. RIP my friend Terry

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Releasetrigger thanks for the posting Bat was in conversations at the gun club this week, Bat may god welcome you with open arms, Your friend Gary Bryant.

A great man from all aspects.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Big Jack,

Thats exactly the way I first met Bat, I asked him if I could look at his Ljutic, he said no problem hand it to me and I will show you, I could not believe the weight in it.

He was a great friend of Al Ljutic and both of them spent some time developing his new Under/Over, I think from memory something like 26pound of brass in the stock to counteract the weight of the 44inch barrels. (NOW THAT GUN WAS HEAVY)

Bats other long standing joke was the Elastic band on his fore-end, was it to hold it on, No it was so he new his gun from others was his answer.(If you look closely at the above picture of Bat shooting you can see the Elastic band on the end of his fore-end).

There are very many different types of "Champions" Bat was a "Champion" of his own making.....

Release Trigger....AKA Gary Kennerson.

releasetrigger_2008_030318.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.