1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

We don't need no stinkin' changes!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rick Barker, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I was taken aback, by a posters comments that part of the decline of ATA participation was the failure of ATA to keep up with gun tech and allowing high velocity shells, like Nitros and SuperHandicaps that forced other shooters to use them and in addition to that, purchase custom stocks, and recoil reducing devices to compensate for the higher recoil generated by such shells.

Along with this was the usual suggestions of shell limitation in shot load and adding more concrete past the 27.

This got me to thinking. (I know, I know). Perhaps what we should do is a combination of things to equalize the competition and take a government approach to some of these matters. This will allow protection from those skilled shooters and ourselves in order to provide uniformity in performance, scores and ability.

Here are some suggestions and I am sure some of you can come up with some better ones.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guns and Equipment:

Guns-Guns used in ATA events will only be those type of ATA approved guns and are of the type used when the ATA was first created. That means that in the case of double barrel, only side by sides will be allowed, with a barrel length not to exceed 30 inches. Pumps will be only models like the Winchester 1897 and SBT limited to Parkers or replica's thereof. No semi auto loading shotguns will be allowed and barrels on pumps and SBT's will be limited to 30 and 32 inches in length, respectively.

Triggers- All guns will be limited to pull type triggers only, with a trigger weight between 3-1/2 and 5 lbs.
    Side by side guns will require one trigger for the firing of each barrel.

Stocks and forearms- Stocks will be made of walnut, oak or pine. No PFS or custom made stocks will be allowed. All stocks will be of a uniform length of 14-1/2 inches, drop of 1-1/2 inch behind the grip, and 2-1/2 inches at the butt plate. No Monte Carlo stocks will be allowed. Straight pistol grips and flat beavertail forearms only. No modifications to the standard factory stock will be allowed..

Barrel Ribs - No ribs will be affixed to any shotgun barrel.

Sights - the only sight allowed on any shotgun, will be a brass bead on the muzzle end of the barrel. No enter beads will be allowed.

Recoil devices - No recoil device of any kind will be allowed inside or incorporated in the stocks fore arm or barrel of the gun.

Butt plate - Only butt plates used an any gun will be those made of iron, steel or brass. No rubber pads will be allowed.

All guns after an event, will be confiscated for inspection and conformity to the rules, otherwise the contestant will not acknowledged in participating in such event.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shells

All shells will be limited to factory made shells by a recognized shell manufacturer by the ATA.

All shells shall be 2-3/4 dram, 1oz or 7-1/2 with a muzzle velocity not to exceed 1100 pfs.

All shells used in any ATA event will be purchased at the shoot location and price shall be included in the price of the events.

Shells shall be issued to each contestant by club personnel just before the start of each round, one box at a time, with 2 extra shells in the case of a shell misfire.. All extra shells shall be returned at the end of each round. Empty shells shall not be discarded on the ground and will be placed in proper trash recycle containers placed around the trap field.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shooters and classifications

Upon entry of any event, the, all shooters scores and averages as posted by ATA will be used to class each shooter at the time of the event. Average cards will not be required and will save money not having to be printed. As the shooter is registered for an event, the personnel performing the registrations, will access ATA online, look up the shooters score and use the averages and yardage assignments as posted by ATA. A shooters last score at an event will not be used to determine his class or yardage for the event.

There will be no distinction between age, sex or race of a shooter. Regardless of a shooter being 17 or 71, all shooters will shoot for the same class or prizes.

16 yard - All shoots regardless of size will be limited to class entries of A, B, C, E and F. There will not be any AA or AAA classes.

Handicap - With all the suggestions made herein, there shall not be any need to change the handicap system.

(I have suggested before dumping our present yardage assessment system and just having 3 yardage events, 16, 22 and 27, all regulated by A through D handicapping, and do away with doubles events, but people reject that, so I won't even mention it.)

Doubles - All shoots regardless of size will be limited to class entries of A, B, C, E and F. There will not be any AA or AAA classes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awards, purses and trophies

There will be no issuance of awards, purses or trophies for any ATA shoot.

All shooters will receive a "Certificate Of Accomplishment" with their score stated in the certificate. Any shooter that surrenders his gun for examination after an event, will be awarded a "Certificate Of Exceptional Accomplishment" with his score. The type of event, standings or any other particulars will not be mentioned in the certificate.

All shooters shall be tested for drug use after the completion of each event to prevent the use of stimulates, drugs or other enhancing agents that would have allowed the shooter to post a score higher than his average. Failure to submit to the drug screen test or failure of such test, shall lead to disqualification.

2. romie

romie Active Member

It must be raining where you are today.
    Monty

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I vote Rick for ATA President!

4. bart.stein4@gmail.com

bart.stein4@gmail.com TS Member

How about one more change? ATA should henceforth be called the Peoples Republic ATA.

5. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Rick,

I'd like to know what brand of single malt scotch you drink? I'll
    go out and get some right away.
    Loved your post!

Mike C.

ps: Who would be in the "F" classification??

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

1. No win, no punch.

If you an "Harlan" tie and he beats you, next week it'll likely be you and Harlan again.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Rick makes as much sense as many of the others. I like his ideas except for the trigger bit.

Don

8. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Must wear sport jacket and tie when shooting. LOL

9. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Heck 90% of the ATA shooters are on drugs due to age. LOL

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself.

Don

11. Rick Barker

cunninmp (Mike C)

I do not limit myself to any particular brand of scotch, but it is best if:

a. Expensive

b. Someone else is paying for it.

I appreciate your buying, so I will send you a PM as to where to send it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F class is what ever ATA decides is best.

Perhaps I should have suggested changes in the classes

Let's see, A class 96-100 B class 90-95, C class 86-89 D class 80-85...........oh wait, in order to prevent anyone from being tramatized by being categorized, we just say everyone is a "Special Class Shooter."

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

All this useful information comes from the mind of a non-ATA shooter!!

13. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Holy Toledo! I'm sticking with the Skeet game - tu-tu and all that.....
    Mike

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Reloads must be built-up with felt wad and nitro card. No shot cups or Plastic wads allowed.

shot must be less than 1 per cent antimoney.

HM

15. Rick Barker

Ollie

I am a lifer since 1973.

No scratch that.......I remember now.....I sept once at a Holiday Inn.
    [​IMG]

16. Rick Barker

halfmile

no reloads!!!!

New shells only to be purchased at club when registering. Must be 2-3/4dram 1oz 7-1/2.

Don't want anyone injuring themselves trying to keep up with someone else shooting Nitros or SuperHandicaps. Otherwise some will be suggesting adding 3 yards or concrete.

17. oleolliedawg

Yeah Rick, you may be a life member since '73 but no Rick Barker shoots ATA targets with a life membership from '73. Therefore you are simply an imposter, a pretender or a professional practice shooter who couldn't cut it with the big boys. Maybe if you'd share your records with real ATA shooters your posts could be meaningful. oleolliedawg-ATA # 4419790!!

18. missed some

missed some TS Member

you mean you actually looked the guy up?? why????????

19. oleolliedawg

It's not rocket science to look up shooters' records!!

20. missed some

missed some TS Member

no shit! I just asked why?? what does shooter records have to do with anything??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.