1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

We at NSSA are very sad to report that Wayne Mayes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dustinthewind, Jun 10, 2013.

1. dustinthewind

dustinthewind Active Member

National Skeet Shooting Association

We at NSSA are very sad to report that Wayne Mayes passed away this morning due to complications from burns received in an accident three months ago.

We respectfully ask that you allow Wayne’s wife, NSSA Director Linda Mayes, to grieve privately at this time, and that you not visit, call, or text her. Instead of contacting her directly, please send any cards or messages of condolences to her at NSSA headquarters:

Linda Mayes

2. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Very sad news,,

My thoughts and prayers to all,

Doug

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Prayers going up ! Such a loss.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Very sad and certainly a very painful last 3 months for Wayne...condolences to his wife and family from Md

5. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

So sad to hear Wayne Mays has lost his valiant battle. Thoughts and prayers go out to Linda and Wayne's families. We truly have lost one the greatest shooters and king gentlemen of this generation.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tLjxnP0uSY0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wayne Mayes 200th Straight in the 410

7. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss. My condolences to the family. Dale

8. Janet

Janet TS Member

Sympathy to family and friends. R.I.P. Mr. Mayes

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Old Wayno will surely be missed. I was fortunate to have met him, be a student of his, beat him in some shoot-offs, lose to him in a bunch of shoot-offs, and most of all - call him a friend!

Wayne Mayes was a true gentleman and a competitor! By watching him perform, he showed you the art of graceful winning and losing. If Wayne won, he didn't go gloat to the crowd. He went to the trunk of his car, wiped down his Kolar or 303, and enjoyed the moment to himself. Never did he boast, strut around, or act better than you. He just won and was ready to win again.

Another side of Wayne was losing. When he lost, he never blamed a slow pull, the wind, the shell, nothing - he just blamed himself. In 2006 @ the Bluff City Open Skeet Shoot in Memphis, TN - I was in a shoot-off for 12 gauge Gun Championship. I was in this shoot-off with Wayne Mayes and others. Wayne dropped fairly quickly in the shoot-off round, and I ended up coming out as Gun Champ. Guess who the first person was to come up and congratulate me? Yes, Wayne Mayes. He was that kind of Man.

As many of us have shooting memories of him, please remember the people at this time who have more than shooting memories of him - remember the people who loved him and the people he loved. Remember Linda, his kids, Todd Bender, and others.

Matt Woodson