1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WE are 2011 SCTP National Champions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StonewallRacing, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I would like to take a moment to introduce the 2011 Varsity National Champions

[​IMG]

Adam Tuinstra, Jordan Hintz, Christian Jensen, Myles Walker, Ethan Kerr

World Shooting and Recreation Complex, Sparta, IL -- July 16, 2011 In what might be considered a "David vs. Goliath" story the Burlington High School Demons Varsity Trapshooting Team won the 2011 Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP) National Championship by breaking 979 out of 1000 targets. Hailing from a town of 10,000 in Southeastern Wisconsin, the school-based team bested many larger clubs, 4H, County, and Fish & Game (DNR) managed programs to earn the gold medal and top spot on the podium.

The BHS Demons Trapshooting team is hosted by the Burlington Conservation Club and is supported by Burlington High School as a letter-earning club sport. To earn the title, they defeated 72 Varsity (grades 9-12) teams comprised of nearly 520 young athletes from all across the United States.

2011 SCTP rules allowed all members of the team to compete and the top five scores were used to determine the overall team score. This scoring formula made the victory even more impressive as the Demons score of 979 was all shot by a single 5-man squad comprised of Sophomores Jordan Hintz (197), Christian Jensen (196), and Myles Walker (196), Junior Ethan Kerr (196), and Senior Adam Tuinstra (194) who set the pace for the two-day tournament.

During the first 100 targets on Friday, the Burlington team had rounds of 120, 123, 124 and 122 to finish with a three-bird advantage over the Gateway Claybusters of Missouri. Hintz and Jensen each tallied 99 to lead the way.

In ninety-plus degree heat, the team came back on Saturday afternoon with an impressive score of 490 with rounds of 123, 121, 125, and 121 to seal the victory. The third round was met with a loud roar of cheers from the gallery of teammates, parents and supporters that had gathered to encourage the team that had traveled nearly 400-miles to compete in the National finals.

Enjoying the blue ribbons around his neck, Kerr was most impressed with his teammates for their special third round on Saturday, "Even though we are National Champions, my highlight of the weekend was our 125. That was spectacular!"

Adding to the excitement of the afternoon was Walker's first-ever perfect round of 100-straight to help seal the victory. Proud father Wes celebrated by hugging nearly the entire crowd one-by-one after the round.

The final tally showed the Demons six birds ahead of Gateway and a seven-bird advantage over the Henry County No-Fly Zone team from Tennessee.

"These kids have no idea how proud I am of them," said Tom Wondrash, former Demons head coach and now the North Central Director for the SCTP. "We built this program up over seven years and I knew this was a special group of kids…..and that this National Championship would be brought to Wisconsin very soon! This is the very first National Championship award brought to the state of Wisconsin and it has the Demons name all over it!"

First-year head coach Denis Sommers had a hunch something big was in the works this season. "I told the kids this was our year, they showed great poise and handled themselves perfectly all weekend."

This was the final High School event for Tuinstra (who was an original member on the team in it’s first year of competition) who will soon depart to serve his country in the Marines.

Another interesting note is all five of the Demon shooters used Browning shotguns in the tournament, "I would like to thank Browning for making the best trap gun in the world, the BT-99," said a smiling Jensen. "Because without my baby I would not have been able to be on a National Championship team."

The weekend was rewarding for Hintz who had to choose to shoot with his classmates at Sparta or stay home to participate in the Wisconsin Trapshooting Association State Shoot. By missing the event in Waukesha, he gave up a probable spot to repeat on the WTA All-State Junior Team. Both events were scheduled at the same time and shooting the Championship events at the State Shoot is a requirement for All-State recognition. "It was worth it," the sophomore said. "We came with the goal of winning the award for the top high school team and it would have been worth missing State just for that. I can't believe we beat every High School, 4H, Club team and the State of Arizona (State DNR-supported program) to win,” he said with a chuckle.

All members of the BHS Varsity team will be awarded gold medals for their participation in the event including Matt Henningfield, Josh Criscimagna, Gunnar Knight, Cody Schilz, Devon Stickrod, Becca Alby, Jenna Ebbers, Brent DeBruine, Hunter Wondrash, Terry Carr, Ryan Schweiger and John Kaminskis.

Next week, ten Burlington shooters (including Walker, Jensen, Hintz and Kerr) will travel to Colorado Springs, CO to compete in the SCTP International Trap/Skeet Finals, which will be held at the United States Olympic Training Center. They will compete against nearly 100 other athletes in Olympic-style bunker trap.

To learn more visit the website of the Burlington High School Demons Trapshooting team at: www.bhsdemonstrap.com

----------------------------
    blkcloud, This is not intended to slam your Junior Varsity thread, they did a wonderful job and deserve reward for their shooting.

SW

2. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

Congrats!!!!!!

It is great to hear your boys have done so well. I also loved the quote about browning. Lets hope they heard it and maybe give you guys some sponsorship cash.

It is also great to hear how many youngsters are out there enjoying the sport!

Keep up the great work and keep recruiting our youth!

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Great Job!!! Also very good story about your team. You have some fine young men shooting on that team. I'm sure alot of it is a reflection of great parents and coaches. Again, Great Job!!--Matt

4. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Great story, Great Team...

Congratulations to all of the young shooters !!!

Dave in SC

5. dalog

dalog Member

Again, Congrats! You earned it.

6. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

You guys make us Wisconsinites proud. Congratulations on ssome GREAT shooting.

Ken Cerney

WTA SW Zone Director

7. radtechbb

radtechbb TS Member

Congratulations shooters, that is awesome!!

8. TC

TC TS Member

Congratulations, great story. Tony

9. plaw

plaw Active Member

So Adam,Jordan,Chris, Myles & Ethan, tell us about the shells and guns that you used for this great feat? I am sure your folks are all proud of you and hope you at least make the sports page from your local newspaper..

10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Milwaukee Journal/Sentinal did a real nice piece this week along with several other media outlets in SE WI.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors/125928373.html

They all shoot Brownings; Adam, Ethan & Christian all shoot 34" BT-99's, Myles a 32" XT O/U and Jordan 34" XT unsingle.

Ethan loves AA's, Jordan & Adam Remington's and Myles & Christian load their own in green and gold hulls.

SW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.