1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Aug 27, 2007
    West Central Florida
    WD-40 - I thought that you might like to know more about this well-known product.

When you read the "shower door" part, try it. It's the first thing that has cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle! Then try it on your stovetop... Viola! It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed.

The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40.

The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their Atlas missile parts. The workers were so pleased with the product they began smuggling (also known as "shrinkage" or "stealing") it out to use at home.

The executives decided there might be a consumer market for it and put it in aerosol cans. The rest is history.

It is a carefully guarded recipe known only to four people. One of them is the "brew master." There are about 2.5 million gallons of the stuff manufactured each year. It gets its distinctive smell from a fragrance that is added to the brew.

Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you.

Here are some of the uses:

~Protects silver from tarnishing
    ~Cleans and lubricates guitar strings
    ~Gets oil spots off concrete driveways
    ~Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery
    ~Keeps flies off cows
    ~Restores and cleans chalkboards
    ~Removes lipstick stains
    ~Loosens stubborn zippers
    ~Untangles jewelry chains
    ~Removes stains from stainless steel sinks
    ~Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill
    ~Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing
    ~Removes tomato stains from clothing
    ~Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots
    ~Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors
    ~Keeps scissors working smoothly
    ~Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes
    ~Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide
    ~Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of ! handling on riding mowers
    ~Rids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises
    ~Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open
    ~Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close
    ~Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards and vinyl bumpers
    ~Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles
    ~Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans
    ~Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons and bicycles for easy handling
    ~Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly
    ~Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools
    ~Removes splattered grease on stove
    ~Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging
    ~Lubricates prosthetic limbs
    ~Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell)
    ~Removes all traces of duct tape
    ~I have even heard of folks spraying it on their arms, hands, and knees to
    relieve arthritis pain.
    ~Florida's favorite use was cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers
    ~The favorite use in the state of New York -- WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty
    from the elements.
    ~WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching
    the big one in no time. It's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are
    made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced
    baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
    ~Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately, and stops the itch.
    ~WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with
    a clean rag.
    ~Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a
    tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40
    and re wash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!
    ~If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and
    allow the car to start. (If I knew what a distributor cap was, it might help)
    ~WD-40, long known for its ability to remove leftover tape mung (sticky label tape),
    is also a lovely perfume and air freshener! Sprayed liberally on every hinge in the
    house, it leaves that distinctive clean fresh scent for up to two days!
    ~Seriously though, it removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor!
    Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to
    harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off.
    Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
    ~Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!
  2. quartering

quartering Active Member

Mar 15, 2007
    stock is up 1.46% just since you posted. what's up with that?
  3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Went fishing one day and didn't get a bite for about half an hour. Sprayed my bait with WD-40 and first cast had a fish on. I believe the reason it works is that one of the major ingredients is fish oil. HMB
  4. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    hmb, dunk your worm in straight 40 wt Penzoil for best results when the fishing gets tight.
  5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    I heard it cures hemorrhoids too. I would contact a physician for a second opinion though, before administering said treatment. LOL
  6. 3357

3357 Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Its been a long time favorite on big muskie baits in the fall.
  7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    The fish-oil theory has been around for years. There is no fish oil in WD-40. That comes straight from the maker. It is a petroleum product.

Jan 29, 1998
    Easy on choking the chicken. P.E.T.A. may be watching...lol, Jim
  9. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Wilmington, DE
    Just don't ever use it on a gun!
  10. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I've heard that old wives tale about using WD-40 on guns. No one has ever been able to explain a legitimate reason as to why. It is a petroleum product. Please explain.
  11. dhip

dhip Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    yes,explain why no wd 40 on guns.I was having a gumming problem where wood meets metal,a stock refinisher suggested to me to use wd40 to clean it off.

Doug H.
  12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    WD-40, like any cleaner/lube/etc. if soaked in the guts of a gun and left until Christ returned to Omaha, will, I assume, eventually create a mess including finally locking up mechanisms. My father in-law stored his model 61, Winchester, .22 rifle in a closet, standing up barrel at the top. He knew it would be a long time before it was used again so he made it "safe" by giving it a good soaking of Hoppes #9 and left it. After his death, I was given the gun to see if I could get it working. It was, with this gun lube, completely locked up in all respects requiring more work from a gunsmith than I was prepared to do. I am sure that if you did the same thing with WD-40, it is likely you would get similar results. Might even damage wood stocks like gun lube. However, I've been using WD-40 for cleaning and as a light lube in my revolvers, auto pistols, shotguns and rifles for at least some time near the late '60s, likely since it was first marketed. I have zero incidents of rust, damage, or lockups at any time, including the wood stocks........breakemall
  13. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

Aug 13, 2011
    St. Charles, Missouri
    Same here. I've been using WD-40 since the late 70's. No problems. No rust, no gumming, no freezing in extreme cold. I use it on my muzzle-loader, pistols, deer rifles,shotguns, fishing reels, bows, you name it. Not one time have I had any issues.

Maybe the gun oil companies started this myth.LOL
  14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I agree with Wingmaster!

Any oil or grease will eventually gum up if left long enough! A shot of WD40 will loosen it back up!

A friend bought a PW 800B, shot and wads that had been in storage for a dozen years. The PW was locked up, so he brought it over to me.

I took it apart and found that the grease was now solid! A good spritz of WD49, let it sit a few minutes, and then cleaned it all off.

Relubed it and now works like a champ!
  15. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Wilmington, DE
    My experience is that WD-40 will harden up faster than a teenage boy.

Here is an explanation about it:

16. Twister7795

Twister7795 TS Member

Nov 20, 2011
    You can rub it on your stiff..............................joints. thats what i have heard.
  17. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Jan 29, 1998
    The only WD-40 that I use on my guns is what I get in the bulk 1 gallon can. I have a small hand operated applicator that I use to dispense it with. When using the bulk WD-40 I have never had any problems with the guns "gumming up".

I think it is the carrier used in pressurized cans that could cause a problem of gumming up.

Anyway, I like it and have used it probably over 30 years.

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Green Bay Wisconsin
    When my Dad passed away I had to go get his guns, as Mom did not want them around to attract thieves. He had used WD-40 on them, coating them well.

He might as well have used varnish.

It took me a long time to get the 2 lever guns clean. The SXS shotgun was a little easier since it had less metal surface.

Ever since then I use Rust Prufe.

19. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Mar 5, 2007
    The best advice about WD is to "wipe it off" after you use it.... All of it.
  20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I have purchased firearms that were stored military style, that is covered with cosmoline, wrapped in oil paper and in wax paper. Any long term storage system will end up being messy to clean up. If the finish under the preserative is still good, the stuff did it's job. I never long term store my arms so I never experienced a problem with any product. I mostly use WD-40 to wipe finger prints and sweat from my barrel set. Spray a little fog on, wipe it down with a soft rag before I put it back into the Americase. The bluing still looks good and the cloth in the gun case does not cause the blueing to discolor like a foam lined case. Some WD-40 probably seeps into the cracks where I cannot wipe it out, I figure better oil than moisture. My barrel sets still look new. I also use it to clean firearms, and it helps get the carbon out. The WD-40 product has never caused me any problems.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.