1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ways to smooth out your swing or jabbing

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

any ideas how to smooth out a swing. sometimes jabbing at target. i have a mercury reducer in stock. perhaps i need weight up front also? thanks

2. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

you could also try lengthening out your call when you call pull. Chances are if you use a short, loud call it will make you jumpier if you're not on that day...Also pay attention to your gun mount-if you rush the mount to your shoulder, it's possible this could effect your move to the target. good luck!

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

You can also mount your gun at home and practice swinging your upper body without moving your arms. If you do this ten times, you will also discover how tired your arms become. I would suggest using an empty gun to do this exercise. A loaded gun could produce unwanted events.

Pat Ireland

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

As Tron states, try lenghtening your stock. Also weight your barrel using lead tape. In doing the latter, start with two strips between forearm and end of barrel. Then add a half if necessary towards the barrel end.

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Really >SEE< the target before moving you'r gun (easier said than done using 59 year old eyes with floaters).

John C. Saubak

6. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

Get a wall chart from Terry Jordan and use it.

7. mono1393

mono1393 Member

I agree with Vince

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I agree with Pat and John, and add the following. Adding weight to the barrel of your gun will_not_cure_the_problem. You'll soon get used to the added weight, and be back where you started. Also, if your stock is the "proper" length, try shortening it a touch. A shorter stock promotes a smooth upper body swing.

Lastly, slow down. You have all the time in the world from 16. Hold a little lower, look a little higher, and make a lazier (relatively speaking) move to the target. The target will be a little farther out, and you'll have a bigger pattern to work with. Relax.

9. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

All the above and a wee shot of the spirits before swinging and jabbing. Smoothe you right out lad, if not, you won`t care!!

10. Harv Shell

Harv Shell Well-Known Member

Vince is right on. You won't believe the herky jerky moves you make to the target until you dry fire with a chart like Terry's. When shooting I think the gun going off & recoil mask most of this problem. Signed A Believer, Harv.

11. southpark

southpark TS Member

Don't anticipate the target too much and move the gun before you see it clearly? And mabye a little barrel weight?

12. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

All the above and a wee shot of the spirits before swinging and jabbing. Smoothe you right out lad, if not, you won`t care!!

13. smsnyder

forgot to mention, i also use a release trigger in a kolor. my handicap scores are 5 targets average over last 2 years. I am doing something right. is it possible i could be releasing my whole hand from the stock when i release trigger? i am trying to just move upper body to favor angles but it hurts me on other targets when i do. i try to not move gun when i call for target. this works great on angles. i also tried holding a higher gun in handicap this seems to work but not on angles.

14. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

The Wall Chart works great for developing smooth moves and keeping in shape. Phil Kiner just wrote in Trap & Field that he uses his chart.

Terry.

15. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

If you can't get a wall chart right now ( a really good idea ), go to your local trap club and dry fire some rounds. Daro Handy uses this method. I thought it seemed rather silly till I did it. It does wonders for a smooth move to the target. What you got to lose besides the cost to throw 25 targets? Nubs Wagner.

16. Mac V

Mac V Guest

If you're jabbing, you're arm shooting.

Try keeping a tighter grip on both ends of the gun so you develop a tension in your arms. This will force you to swing your arms, shoulders, head and gun as one unit and prevent poking at the targets.

Mike

17. Bustedemall

Bustedemall TS Member

If you were to swing your gun with no target you wouldn't be jerky you'd just have a nice even swing across the sky. My theory is that all jerkiness comes from bead checking or when a thought comes into your head. If you just swing thru the bird with no thought about the bead or anything else you can't be jerky. Very simple but not so easy sometimes. This is one reason all the top coaches say focus on the bird, focus on the bird, focus one the bird.............

18. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Wait till the bird is above the barrel b 4 you move the gun, works 4 me. Dux 4 all, I love it!!Trapshooting by committee! My Br/law was getting a ton of help from all, asked politely to just shoot his own way, in months he was a top skeet shooter and was AA27B at trap.

19. smsnyder

i am doing something right. out of the last a 8 shoots my 16 yard target are 8 broken targets above my average and my caps are 5 broken targets above my average. This is over a 2 year average. It is the few times i blow pass the target (ANGLES) or jab at it that kills my scores. I have been holding a much higher gun and i don't move gun until target clears barrel and i see were its going. I am now holding my gun almost level over the trap house and that has helped increased my scores. I have to watch i don't shoot over the targets because i am shooting a 100% high gun. I do tend to shOot fast and i do use a release trigger. I am going to build a custom stock now and have it fitted to me. This should also help. Thanks folks

20. smsnyder

your right jabbing is arm shooting. its very hard for me to turn the upper body. any ideas on this? will length of pull smooth out the swing and perhaps force more upper body movement?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.