1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ways 2 counter effects of age & diminished skills

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Attend any major shooting tournament and you will most likely see a large number of participants with gray hair that are over the age of 40. With that being said, I recently read an article by Joe Posnanski in Golf magazine that asked the question, are there ways to to counter the effects of age and diminished skills?

He mentioned that Derek Jeter of the Yankees had his worst year in 2010. He began to "cheat on the fastball" meaning he started to swing earlier. His batting average went up almost 30 points.

Muhammad Ali in his last few fights learned to lean against the ropes and encouraged his opponents to punch themselves out. After they punched themselves out, he usually still had enough power to win the fight.

I started thinking that there must be a way to counter the effects of age and diminished skills in the shooting sports. How many of us have shot for years and by the time we accumalated the required knowledge and some of the tricks of the trade in shooting, that we have now found ourselves too old to actually implament what we have learned over the years?

In most sports being in your prime is usually around the age of 27. In the shooting sports I have seen shooters into their early 90's still have the skill level to do very well in tournament competition.

Some of the things I feel that can help you counter the effects of age when shooting are as follows. Have your eyes checked regualrly. If a change in perscription is needed, have your glasses made by people who are shooters as compared to the regular chain of eye glass providers who know very little about making glasses for the shooter.

Consider shooting a low recoil semi auto, or have one of the many recoil devices installed to your current gun. Consider switching from a longer barrel to a shorter barrel. Exercise to loosen up before you shoot, as when we get older we seem to stiffen up a bit. Eliminate and cut out the caffeine before you shoot.

Consider going to a softer shell, as it would make sense that lower recoil should result in more comfortable shooting. Sign up to shoot when sun conditions are more comfortable for you to shoot. If you are having trouble catching up to hard left and right angle targets consider adjusting your hold points.

If you are reaching the age that you know how to shoot, but you seem that you have difficulty and can't post a winning score, possibly consider different strategies to place you in the winners circle like when you were a younger man or woman.

If any of you have found any type of adjustments that you have made to counter act the aging process in the shooting sports, please share them with us, as it would be appreciated.
    Steve Balistreri

2. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Rest more during the day, drink less at night, go to bed early, sleep late and hope that everyone else does the opposite.

3. rustygun

rustygun Member

Just have the targets reset to a slower speed and lesser angle, oh wait, that's already been done.

You know if I didn't say it somebody else would! :)

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The last couple of years I have had increasing difficulties with Eye Floaters first in my off shoulder eye and now in both eyes. Even if I was willing to try surgery (which I'm not) there isn't a single Opthalmologist around here that would perform a "floater only" vitrectomy. I don't want to hold up my squad (just kidding) while waiting for the floaters to settle so I have clear vision, so I maintain my usual pre-shot setup routine and it seems to work better. I get my best scores in bright sunshine while wearing Vermillion colored lenses even though I'm not red/green color deficient. I have more trouble with a gray sky background than a green grass background. I am still looking for a lens color that will work for a cloudy day and clear makes the floaters seem worse.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Steve, try all of your suggestions and let us know how you make out. HMB

6. senior smoke

Miketmx:
    I have never experienced floaters so it is hard to comment. Obviously, it is a real problem as I know a few shooters that experience the same problem. My wife, a non shooter, experienced floaters as a child and it was diagnosed as Uveitis, also called Iritis, which supposely is the inflamation of the colored part of your eye. She had Cortisone injections and drops in her eyes and it took years before it cleared up. There are a lot of reasons for floaters including Diabetes, as well as your age. I hope things get better for you. At one time she worked for the Eye Institute of Milwaukee, and she suggested to seek out a second opinion from another Opthalmologist.
    Steve

7. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Sam Snead adjusted his golf game and equipment to accommodate his age. Shot really great scores late in his career. I am trying to emulate him with mixed results. He is good proof that if you work hard and smart you can overcome some age imposed limitations.....SMOKIT

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

SENIOR SMOKE: and others take OCCUVITE eye vitamins or the Ones made for Meijer Stores here in Ohio, be sure and have an Occuvite bottle and compare the ingredients and Mg levels.

I am 70 years old and my eyes are still corrected to 20/10 I had the beginnings of a cataract about 5 years ago and started taking Occuvite and the cataracts went away, it helped getting rid of the floaters that were beginning to appear, and they are gone, I take one tablet every morning along w/a +50 Multiple Vitamin.

I have told shooters about this and some have tried them and have had good results on this site several years ago, hey don't take my word for try it the Bausch and Lamb Occuvite brand is about $18.00 The Meijer private label is half that and the same exact ingredients.

My prescription has only changed a small amount and I only go to an eye doctor willing to do it my way and split hairs for better vision.

On the eye test where they show you a grid of squares work on this with him and get them as sharp and clear as possible and only use this prescription on your shooting lenses not your every day glasses it may cause you eye strain
    wearing them all day.

Just on my shooting glasses by Randolph Ranger,

My very first prescription glasses were made in Dayton Ohio and were PHOTO GRAY
    lenses and eye exam was done by a shooting optician I met at Camp Troy Gun Club
    in Troy Ohio and he worked at Union Health Center in Dayton Ohio, I watched them grind the lenses and profile them, install them in their shooting Frames
    and fit them to me, that night and several more nights I broke all 50 Targets at the night purse shoots and won LOTS OF MONEY.

I am glad I met that Gentleman at Camp Troy Gun Club. I learned from him the way he tested my eyes and asked other opticians to use the exam the way he did it.

One thing opticians at the Malls fail is the Prism Effects and proper stigmatism evaluations. I just know what needs to be tested if they overlook it and I request those tests.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. senior smoke

Some good advice so far.
    Steve

10. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

I remember an old italian fellow,walked with the hunch back,90 years old,shot the bt99 really well 23-24-25,then at 91 he got a k80 unsingle and shot straights almost all the time.

11. powertrader

powertrader TS Member

single malt,,,,

12. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

Sell the scatter gun and buy a bass boat

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have found that a little low impact exercise works to get the blood flowing and oxygenated. Seems to help concentration and nerves. Jon

14. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I've found if I limit my sexual activity to 3 or less times the night before a shoot I have a little more energy at the end of the day.

15. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Ways 2 counter effects of age & diminished skills.

At my age I don't think it can be done. :)

Dave

16. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Silverbullet: Me too, 1-2-3 strokes,right? 1oldtimer

17. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Amazing how some still search for the fountain of youth. Makers Mark, a Fuente and staying vertical works for me.

18. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I was going to ask Silverbullet if his arm got tired but you beat me to it Oldtimer. LOL Jackie B.

19. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Try more previsionalation before a shoot based on the results of how it works for single sex I have been using this practice for over 50 years with 99 percent results I use it every time.

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a 2 yard reduction from the ATA. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.