1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wayne mayes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by fearlessfain, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

did i read somewhere that wayne mayes the great skeet shooter also shoot a drand slam (breaking all of the singles, doubles and handicap in a single trap shoot?)

2. winmag

winmag TS Member

WHAT THE HELL IS A DRAND SLAM?

BILLY.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I believe he completed the slam in 1987. But I don't believe it was done in a single trap shoot. HMB

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

urban myth?

5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

There is no urban myth about how Wayne Mayes shoots...the man has a gift.

6. Bob Farne

Bob Farne Member

One of the great skeet (gulp) shooters of all time and a super gentleman.
    Bob F.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

No Wayne is a great guy-- but is it myth or not about the trap grandslam?

8. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

I twice had the opportunity to watch Wayne Mayes shoot. The first time I saw him was on a skeet field, and he missed a high 3. First miss @ 2400+, establishing a new long run record, one of many he would set. A year later I watched him at a live bird shoot, against the best from all over the world. He ran the only 50X50 and took home all the money. Those events were 25 years ago. Last year he set another long run record in .410. Mayes has not always won every shoot, but I can't think of anyone else who's been at the top for so long.

9. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

No myth! Wayne is #65 on the Grand Slam Winners List at the Trapshooting Hall of Fame.

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Wayne is indeed a Grand Slam shooter at ATA trap. Most people don't know that he shot trap at all. He used to go to lots of Money shoots and did quite well. I don't think he has shot registered ATA for awhile, but he used to be VERY profecient at it!

11. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Let me tell you about Wayne-O. He is incredible. I am a former skeet shooter of ten years registered. I recently took up Trap. I know Wayne personally and he knows me personally. I have taken two skeet clinics from him. Not only has he broken a Grand Slam, he also has many titles. Numerous World Championship RINGS, long run records, and 4X4 and 5X5 's. The record I find most unreal is his 100 straight record with the 410. I believe it is around 180 lifetime. Probably something that will never be caught. Wayne is the best shot with a shotgun I have ever seen! Wayne has a gift with hand-eye coordination. I have heard a story that Todd Bender told, they were at the Bluegrass skeet shoot tossing around a football. Wayne said, let me throw one. They laughed and said ok. Wayne told Todd to go deep! Todd ran out and Wayne threw a perfect spiral, they were stunned. They asked, "where did you learn to throw like that?" Wayne said, "I used to quarterback in high school" I have never seen in bowl, but I have been told not to put money against him. I have been in many shootoffs against him, most of the times getting beat. Not only is Wayne the best shotgun shooter I have ever seen, the best part of it is he is a dear friend! Matt Woodson, KY

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

sglfr45, since you're close to Wayne, would you possibly inquire of him whether he can trace his name back to William Mease who came to Jamestown, VA and pastored the Anglican Church in 1611? Later names were John, Henry, and William Maies and then William Mays still in Virginia through the Revolution. Later persons maintained "Mays" spelling in my line but the likelihood of a connection seems possible....breakemall....Bob Dodd XXrdodd@nuworld.comXX (drop the caps)

13. skeet100

skeet100 Member

I wish I could shoot 1/2 as good.

I have been impressed with his shooting.

14. 870

870 Well-Known Member

The confusion here is that a Grand Slam is NOT based on one shoot, it is a lifetime award. Mayes has a Grand Slam, but not all in the same shoot.

15. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

I took a couple of clinics from Todd Bender back when I was shooting skeet. I asked Todd about Wayne Mays and he replied Wayne was the most gifted natural athlete he had EVER met - he could do anything and do it very well.

Eric

16. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

For those of you who live close to Sparta Wanye will be shooting in the Briley shoot this weekend. So will Todd Bender I recomend that if you want to see a real show come down on Saturday evening and watch the shoot offs.

Ronbo

17. 3200

3200 TS Member

Several years ago I had the opportunity to referee one of the events that Wayne was shooting at the World Skeet championships. It was the tail end of a long day. The five man squad was, if I recall, Mayes, Phil Murray, Robert Paxton, John Shima and Larry Woo (sp). All were straight thru 75. In the 4th round I slow pulled Murray on a low 6, and called no bird, and cleared the trap. Murray turned and made a rude comment - I should have told him to leave, but I didn't. In the end the squad was 5x100.

As I was preparing for the next squad, Wayne came over, shook my hand and said 'Murray can be a jerk, don't pay any attention to him, but if it had been me refereeing I might have sent him home." The rest of the squad, less Murray, also came by to say "thanks' and offer comments.

Later in the week, I was on one of the fields just 'chipping away' with the .410, only to realize after several targets the Wayne had stopped to watch. Wayne came over, gave me some helpful pointers and watched while I put his 'lessons' to work. Great guy in my book.

18. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

To Alf174, I would say Wayne-O would probably have won. Nothing against Digweed, but Wayne can shoot. To 3200, your experience with Phil Murray might not be the best, but Phil is a great shot and a good guy too! He did his best to make the U.S. Open trap happen this year. Did I also mention that Phil and Wayne hold the skeet record for longest shootoff ever, back when singles were shot. Matt

19. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I agree with all that think Wayne is a generous gentleman of the shooting sports and I also do not think anyone will top his record of 100 straights in the 410 (which as at the high 170's last year and is quite possibly 180 or so now). On more than one occasion I have seen Wayne reach our and help a shooter, not a top dog either, as mentioned above by the fella that ref'd for him. He also tells the worst Cajun jokes but does it with great gusto and pleasure...so you laugh anyway :)

I have been a shoot chairman for a top 20 NSSA shoot, of all the shooters that attend, the easiest guy to get along with is Wayne...he does not demand special attention or favortism, goes and shoots his targets, and never pouts, bitches or complains....this is a sign of a true champion.

I'm sorry the referee fella had that experience with Phil...however, my experience with him is that he is a fine guy, easy to get along with, and a tireless supporter of all shotgun sports...I'm sure the incident happened as described, but one event does not define a man.

Stephen Meyers

20. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I had the good fortune to squad with Wanye Mayes, Tom Fiori, and Jaime Gaines in La. two years ago at a new club. The new machines were breaking targets, and it was HOT. Mr. Mayes was making jokes visiting with folks while the machines were being worked on. Not one negative comment from Wayne. When the traps were fixed, he just went back to work as did Tom and Jaime.

His 303 malfunctioned twice so he finished the round with Linda's 1100. No big deal. In the .410, Wayne missed a low 6 in the last box for a 399 and the ref was distraught thinking he slow pulled Wayne and like the true gentleman he is, he just thanked the ref and went on. When it comes to skeet; it's good to be Wayne Mayes, LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how many world championships did wayne mays win shooting skeet

wayne mayes records

wayne mayes shooting skeet

wayne mayes winchester model 1400

wayne mays shooting records

wayne mays skeet shooter

wayne mays trap shooting

wayne mays world champion skeet shooter