1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Way OT, US Army berets

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mrskeet410, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I read that the U.S. Army is giving up on berets and going back to caps. I don't know what it is about the U.S. Army berets and they way they are worn but they just don't look good on Americans. Brits wear them and look good. So do the Indians and the Pakistanis. Even Saddam and the Iraqis could wear them and have a snappy military look. U.S. troopers don't look good in them. They have them pulled way down to their ear. Maybe the patch is too big. Dunno, but they don't look good.

Army is giving on up green dress uniforms and going back to blue. Those uniforms never looked good. Certainly not as snappy as USMC greens. Maybe blues will look better. Camo pajamas were overdone.

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

They should never have gone to all berets in the first place. The Beret was used to mark elite troops and as such had to be EARNED. Even as a Marine in Vietnam I respected the "Greenie Beanies"and "Snake Eaters" as we so lovingly called them. When it was decided to give the beret to all to improve enlistments it was a slap in the face to those in the Special Forces, Rangers and Airborne (mostly career soldiers) who had worked so hard for the privilege of wearing the beret.

Just my 2 pennies

--- Chip King ---

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Chip, I totally agree with you. I always thought they looked good in them and though was Air Force, I was upset when they were given to all Army personnel. I had a lot of respect for all services that wore them in the 60's. Even the Air Force had a special few that wore them and all of them earned them in that period. Jackie B. USAF Ret.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Another example of leftist engineering in which everyone gets to be a winner. It turned out like all leftists social experiments.

5. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

The appearance had a lot to do with how much quality fabric was used. We got ours from England and they must have had twice as much material in them as the basic Army beret. They were expensive but really set off a uniform. We were the USAF Security Service Honor Guard. Ron

6. dshot

dshot Member

Chip got it 100% correct.

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I'm also on the side of Chip, Jake,1SG USA Ret

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Why wear a hat from a country (France) that never supports anything we do

I was a gunner on a Buff in the USAF, we always wore cunt caps, one time we had an Aussie commander in Thailand, he wanted us to wear a cowboy hat with the left side pinned to the top part of the cap, thought they were cool til the brass above him put the kabash on them

9. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

That Aussie "Go To Hell" hat with the upturned brim was very popular in 'Nam in the '60s. Ron

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

When I was in the service way back in 56-59, when you saw a soldier wearing a beret, you knew he was special forces and that he really earned that beret. And we looked up to that person.

I guess I was unaware that they made it so anyone could wear one.

Not sure I care for that.

Hauxfan!

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Chip has it right-

When you are in an elite unit you "know how to wear" one somehow

It has nothing to do with the quality of fabric

Nor does it have to do with the quality of soldier- the young men in women in all units have been at war for over 10 years - unprecedented in our nations history- they are the best that have ever been assembled on the face of this earth- and each has his or her own contribution and specialty.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

"Another example of leftist engineering in which everyone gets to be a winner. It turned out like all leftists social experiments."

Little Bush Jr. must be a leftist then since this happened under his watch and he refused to squash the Army Chief of Staff directive to switch to the black beret.

13. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I hardly think a President would get involved in uniform decisions of a branch of the service. A President has better things to do- to try to blame a bad Army uniform decision on the POTUS is truly insane.

In reality, the IMPLEMENTATION for the black beret was made during the Bush administration on June 14, 2001, the decision was made long before that- during the Willie Clinton reign. Not that Clinton was responsible for this bad decision either, he was too busy staining blue dresses with spernv.

14. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I guess the couple of former Rangers who made the road march from GA to DC back in 2001 to present to Bush Jr, a fallen Ranger's black beret, was some made up news then. Where you in early 2001 John, still licking the white crusty stuff off of Lewinsky's blue dress LMAO Bush had his chance, just like Dummy Rummy and Wolfditz to overturn the directive but WTF do they care about military tradition.

15. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Thanks for proving yourself insane. To you nutcases, everything is Bush's fault, even Obama's incompetence. No more wasting time with looney leftists.

16. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

This whole beret fiasco is nothing more than some Generals wet dream....just like the back wards flag that Gen Shoomacker rammed down the peoples throat. He was a cav officer and dreamed of getting it turned around to represent a cav unit on the move.

Now the morons in control are arguing about who gets to wear what cammo pattern as marines claim the marpat,(marine pattern).....is exclusively theirs. Seems to me that the best cammo should be on all uniforms, and not squabbled over by command staff.....shouldn't all soldiers wear equally effective cammo.

They're worse than a group of teenage girls fighting over the color of their dress

The beret fiasco is just like the BDU joke.....the first time you wore them you knew they belonged in the trash......yet it took 10 yrs and an after action report from the invasion of Grenada to get the generals and their CSMs head out of their asses, and go back to the rip stops.

Another total fubar is all that velcro on a battle uniform.......just imagine any close quarter, and or jungle operations with a uniform covered with Velcro.

Besides todays soldier looks like a clown with all the garbage their hanging from their jackets.......reminds me of castro, or kadaffi, maybe sadam////

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Army wearing marpat would be cool. It has the globe and anchor incorporated the camo pattern.

18. chipking

chipking TS Member

Yep the eagle, globe and anchor is a vital part of the marpat camouflage pattern. It is the psychological part of the camouflage and works because no bad guy WANTS to see that headed his way. ;o)

--- Chip King ---

19. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Some might say: If it is part of a camouflage pattern, the bad guy should never see it. Ron

I understand , it was a joke.

20. chipking

chipking TS Member

And some might say that if you don't see the pattern it's not camouflaging whats underneath but hey HAPPY FATHERS DAY.

--- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.