1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Way OT Pool Cues.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I need a litle help with a pool cue. I have a small collection of Meucci's and McDermotts and one of my McD's was damaged when i bought it. The butt cap is tore up. I called McDermott in Wisc. but they will not sell parts and they want a small fortune to repair a cue. This brings me to the question 'Does anyone have a Mcdermott cue that has a damaged butt, but has a good butt cap? The alternative is does anyone have a McDermott butt cap they want to sell? Thanks, Mike.

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Sadly, I don't...but meucci's are NICE sticks. I love mine.

I suppose you tried Ebay and googling parts for it?

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Yes I have to no avail. Mike.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do you have a picture of what you need? HMB

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

It is the bottom of the cue. It is the cream colored piece in the picture. It has the McD clover on it. Not the rubber bumper on the very bottom. Mike.
    [​IMG]

6. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Define "torn up" is it cracked, chipped, broken or just the clear peeling off of it???
    Where are you located??

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

I'm located in Pittsburgh, Pa. actually there are 2 of them and they both have large chunks out of them. Thanks for asking, Mike.

8. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Im in Missouri, there are a few local Cue builders here that I know, You could probably have them make you one, but im sure it wouldnt have the logo on it. Do a local search for cue makes in Pa, they may have some old pieces laying around even or make something up for you..

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

I tried Paul Mottey and no go. Yes you are right I am looking for the logo. Thank you very much for your input. Mike.

10. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

A Cue show / pool tournament in Pa in March, just north of Philly, I was there a few years ago, several cue makers and parts and pieces and cues ect..
    Coming up in no time

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Thanks, Mike.

12. cueguy

cueguy Member

Imagine my surprise to see one of the cues I made while working at McD. I was Jim McDermott's first employee. Worked there 5 years and made custom cues untill a couple of years ago when I retired.
    Regarding your problem. You cannot buy a butt plate and simply put it on. The old one has to bej turned off on a lathe. McD butt plates are simply light pressed ( and glued ) on and turned down on a lathe so the butt plate is even with the butt piece. In most cases the finish is trashed and the bottom piece has to be re-finished. McD uses an ultra violet finish as do most of the other larger cue makers. The smaller custom guys ( like me ) either used an epoxy finish ( I did ) or a spray finish. Also, the McD butt plate material is a custom mix plastic and is made by a place in Milwaukee. In other words, the only place you can get the same material is McD. There are other plastics which come close and I think would work okay. You won't get the McD logo anyplace but McD though. It is illegal for anyone to copy it.
    Long stort short, send it back to McD and bite the bullet. It will give the best results.
    I replaced many hundreds of butt plates over the years. It takes skill to match the pieces. DO NOT let some wood butcher have at it. You will be very unhappy. Good luck, Nubs Wagner.

13. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Thanks nubs that is pretty much what McD said in their Email to me today, I was hoping to find a damaged Mcd cue with a good butt cap.I guess i'll pay the $50 they want. Mike.

14. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

$ 50 is cheap.. most good cue makers wont touch it for that.

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Small price for perfection .

16. quartering

quartering Active Member

what's that stick worth? i see some for $200 and some for $1200. just curious. thanks

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Not sure what the value is. It was from a limited run made for a distributor from Iowa,I think. It has a scene from a horse race like the Derby or other race.From the 70's I believe.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put a generic butt cap on it a few years back but it doesn't have the McD logo on it.Maybe nubs will know something about this one. Mike.

18. cueguy

cueguy Member

I am not familiar with that particular cue. Jim started putting on decals after I left. I am not a fan of decals as the original intent was to be able to sell cues with a blemish in the wood. Nothing wrong with the quality at all, just a blemish from mother nature. Also, re-finishing can only be done at the factory. If the cue just has inlays, any good cue guy could refinish it.
    Being only 20 miles from the McD factory, I re-finished hundreds of McD's.
    If anyone ever gets to Milwaukee for any reason, take a short ride out to Menomonee Falls and ask for a tour. The plant was built around 1980 and is still "state of the art". The CNC machinery is amazing.
    A side note: Jim made custom cues in his basement before he started McD cues in the mid 70's. I have a custom cue he made for me in 1971, with original shafts, case and sales receipt. $130.00 and my rent at the time was $80.00 month. I have seen other cues from that era for sale at Chalkers for $12,000.00. I doubt it ever sold. If anyone has that kind of money, mine is for sale. Hey, how about a trade? Anyone out there looking? Serious replies only LOL! But I am serious. Nubs Wagner.

19. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Nubs, I was in the window business and replaced the windows in Martin Luther King school in Milw. and after work I stopped in at McD's only got to the showroom but that place was spotless. It would leave anyone in the place with a positive impression. Mike.

20. cueguy

cueguy Member

The policy on tours changes with ownership. Not sure who owns it now. Jim sold it to his accountant who after discovering he paid too much, made changes and promptly ran it in the ground. It was sold to some FL interests and they did not do so good either. It is a tough business to be in these days. Viking Cue is being re-born. My first cues were Vikings. You could get a good cue for $20.00 back then. Can't get a good tip for that today.
    I always said no self respecting player would play with an import cue. Boy, was I wrong. When Predator first came to the trade shows with a spliced shaft, everyone laughed. No one is laughing now. Oh, the good old golden days of pool, as in when 14.1 was king. Never had a run over the 80's, but sure enjoyed trying. Nubs Wagner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.