1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Way OT- Help Me Out !

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ouch, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouch

ouch Member

I am a mechanic for a small construction co. due to an economic change in our companny I have done more operating in the past year and a half.

Now our companny is starting to fold up. I have a good opurtunity to work for another companny but I need to learn a little about the operation and maintenance of a Vermeer directionl boring machine.

The new companny will train me but it would benifit me to know something going in.

I thank you in advance for any help. I know the people on this site are a wealth of knowledge. Richard

2. ouch

ouch Member

Thanks Rick, I have ordered materials from Vermeer, But the salesman I deal with said "They are not the best". So I am looking. Thanks, Richard

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

While you drive around keep an eye out on the road for anyone and everyone who might be using that equipment. When you see one being towed jot down the companies name and phone number. When you see one being used STOP and ask the operator a few questions as to who maintains the machine and how you might be able to get ahold of that person.

Now take that information and set your feet in motion.

You could also let your fingers do a little walkin and do a little talkin on the phone to find people who use and maintain them in your area to help on your quest for knowledge.

BTW ... why not take a few weeks and do a little shootin between jobs. You deserve it.

4. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

I would contact the Vermeer sales/rental dealer in your area and see if they have any in their yard. Explain to them what you need. In our area these machines are usually owned by specialty contractors or the very large contractors. Vermeer makes good products and normally sales/service reps are more than helpful. If they can not help you I am sure they could tell you of a contractor with a machine in your area.

5. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/147771?h=429%2C1566

jerbear

6. ouch

ouch Member

Thank You, I am working on this. Richard

7. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

ouch ,

Are you speaking of horizontal boring under roads ,rivers , streams etc ?

Charlie

8. ouch

ouch Member

Yes Charlie. Some people call it Horizonal Directional Drilling. Richard

9. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

If you are a Union Operator there's training classes with it available.

ol 12

10. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

Go to the Union Operators hall and tell them your situation, they may send you to a job where you can talk to an experienced operator and get a couple pointers, he may even let you run the boring machine for a bit, there not as complicated as you may think.
    Till you bore a hole in that 12" gas main...lol now that's exciting with all the lights and sirens and stuff like that...lol

Bill

11. ouch

ouch Member

Thanks guys, I am on schedule with several of your suggestions.

I am not a union member ( I have nothing against unions) My mechanical / construction career is secondary. I retired as a police officer a few years ago and got restless,Along with needing more money to survive.

I also know God has a plan for me, I just need to have faith and be Patient.

Anymore info ?, Please post. Thanks, Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.