1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Way OT! - Do You Play Golf?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

How many trapshooters here are also golfers? I enjoy the game, but I am not very good (18 handicap). What do you think a solid 10 Hadicap golfer would shoot at Augusta last week?

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Pool, because they wouldn't be anywhere on the course.

3. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

GOLF , because all the other four letter words are already taken .

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I used to golf a lot (80 rounds a year) until I hurt my knee at work. Augusta National is one of the most private golf clubs in the country, so the USGA that gives Course and Slope Ratings have never been invited to rate the course. Golf Digest estimates the Course Rating at 76.2, and a Slope Rating of 148, one of the highest in the US. I would imagine a bogey golfer would shoot 120+ if you are putting good. Wayne

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I use to play last 2 years of high school!!! Never could get consistant hitting a #1 or #2 woods the way I needed to. My middle to high end irons and putting were good, but not driving the ball. So I shoot now !!! But I did OUT DRIVE Tiger Woods last Thanksgiving. LOL Break-em all. Jeff

6. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Matt: I am a solid 6 hdcp on home course from 6300 member tees! I do not think I could break 100 due to the greens there!@ Tom Rhoads

7. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Scattergun,

The greens at Augusta are the most demanding, most threatening, most treacherous, and probably the most perfect greens in golf. If your "Solid 10" handicapper strikes the ball well and is able to keep his woods and irons in play, he will be able to reach, or nearly reach, a good number of the holes in either regulation or just above. The key to his success will be where he stops the ball on the green. If his handicap relies solely on his driver, Augusta will not be kind. If he can perform acts of magic with his putter, he could possibly score in the mid nineties after a practice round. WWW.Augusta.com is a wonderful website and will give you an idea of the elevation changes, hazard locations, yardages, historic improvements, etc., etc. of our treasure called The National. What a remarkable place! Remember, you meet the nicest people in the fairway!

Best regards, Kit Thomas

8. razor

razor TS Member

well i picked up a golf club once and i liked the way it fit into my shoulder pocket and the very narrow forend was a pleasure to mount. {it must have been english made, a schnable or something} but for the life of me i could not find the trigger so i threw it away. to bad because it had nice wood. razor

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Tom,

That is what I thought! I figured the low handicap golfers would struggle to keep it under 100. It is just amazing! I have a friend who is a 1 Handicap. He was on a business trip, and got to play the TPC of Scottsdale. They have a regular tour event there, and he asked to play from the PGA Tourney tees. He broke a 89, and told me that he was very lucky.

Tony,

You are like me. I can break a 100 in singles, then shoot 100 on a course. I did notice where Kentucky's retired football coach, Rich Brooks played Augusta this week. He played two rounds this week from the Senior Tees and shot 86 and 89.

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

No matter where I go I have problems getting someone to play golf with me. I normally shoot in the low seventies and most folks don't like playing with someone with those kind of scores. Then I move on to the second hole. LOL Jackie B.

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I played for a while years ago, then I realized I got enough problems during the week, don't need another 18 in the weekend.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I hate golf. Any golfer should keep there mouth shut about golf when at a trap range.

13. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Something I can't figure out about golf.

How do they miss that hole? It isn't moving like a claybird. It is just sitting there.

You'd think at least every other shot would be hole in one........

I wonder how many strokes it would take them to finish a game if all the holes were oscillating like our trap machines do?

Inquiring minds want to know........lol

Hauxfan!

14. The Stive

The Stive Member

No I do not. I tried the game over 30 years ago. I did not have any fun.
    I gave away all of my golf stuff. I do not miss it. I would rather be shooting. John

15. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Hardest course I've played.
    1) Pebble Beach
    2) Bay Hill in orlando
    I've been to Augusta and I agree, the greens make that course one of the hardest.

16. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I play golf and love it---I shoot and love it---I fish and love it--I hunt and love it---I don't know what I love the most---can't give any of them up---Golf is the best for excerize---When I leave a four hr round of golf I go home beat and tired---never go home from shooting tired.An old timer told me once that if you want to be good at a sport you only have time for one---I just can't give any of them up---Life is so short we should just have fun and move on---gL---sjb

17. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

I play lots of golf and shoot ATA regularly.Whether I play or shoot, I always think how very similar are the mental aspects of each.Both sports require "letting go" before you execute.I find that the mental preparation is the same and shooting par on any hole is as demanding as running 25 straight.

Ned

18. KenC

KenC Member

I agree w/Ned; to par a par 4 hole requires 3 perfectly executed shots:
    1) A drive that is long enough & in position to 'see' the pin
    2) A second shot from the fairway that will hit the green & not roll off & still be close enough for a reasonable 'birdie try'; the 2nd shot here is most critical
    3) A put which if not holed for birdie, remains close enough to the hole for a 'tap in' par

If your 4th stroke is not a tap in, then one (or more) of your previous shots was not good; you have 3 chances to 'screw up' on a par 4.

The mental aspects of golf are very similar to trap shooting. Also similar is the set-up routing for each shot, trap or golf; they should be the same.

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I play golf and as I tell my friends when I'm asked about my game, remember golf spelled backwards is FLOG!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.