1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Way OT:Dead possums stink...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by philk, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philk

philk Member

Maybe more than one in there, dead babies??

2. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I'm gonna assume this floor is over a crawlspace. You're gonna need to remove anything the carcas was touching - insulation, vapor barrier, even an inch or so of crawlspace dirt. If you can't remove it, wash it down with borax and baking soda in water. Maybe use a mild bleach water solution also, but sperately. If you can arrange it, set up a fan to PULL air through the crawlspace and out. A way to do this is to set a box fan in the crawspace scuttle and seal it in with duct tape and visqueen. You may could seal the fan to a crawlspace vent if ther is no scuttle hole. Key is make sure it blows out - sucks on the crawlspace. A few days and all smell should be gone.

Yes, I have first-hand experience :(

K

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Try odogone, got it from home depot about 10.00, This stuff will even get rid of the cat smell from rent houses. used it to get rid of skunk smell and other bad odors. It is an enzyme agent and will really work well.

Bob

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

philk has a very important suggestion. Make sure to check very well for babies. Its real common for them to nest in insulation espescially under mobile homes and houses with crawl spaces with insulation. I had a momma and two bablies get in my detached garage attic and die. Took pitching almost everything in the attic and several years of airing it out to get rid of the stink.

If the momma died its likely the babies did too and they can be tiny and harder to find. Make sure all the dead critters are out then follow these guys odor eliminating advice.

Matt

5. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Get some Odormute at a pet supply. Mix as directed and strain through a cloth into a yard sprayer and apply it and walk away. It really kills any organic smells and they stay away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dead possum in crawl space under mobile home