1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Way Off Topic - wheelchairs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

My 92 year old WWII Navy veteran dad's legs are pretty much gone. I went to a place called Access and borrowed a wheelchair to see if that would be of any benefit to him. To my surprise he wheeled that thing around, steering it like an old pro. I've had the borrowed one for long enough to prove that the concept is sound so now I'm looking at buying him one. I'd like for it to be able to traverse a gravel trail or something outdoorsy as well as indoor use. I don't think I want to deal with anything motorized. Does anyone have any advice to pass along?

2. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Thought I was done with this site after the smoking cigarette thread and the high taxes BS. Just have to jump in on this one. It is called Medicare been around since maybe 1965 they pay for durable medical equipment! Here in Northwest Ohio there is a place called the Ability Center they have people on staff to handle your situation. Free stuff sometimes. I do believe there are " all terrain" wheelchairs out there. In fact there is a fundraiser going on now through the Wild Turkey Federation to get a motorized chair for a kid that suffers from a dibilitating disease. It will have tracks like a tank on it so he can hunt. One caution about powered chairs is that they do not know they are breaking a persons leg if person messes up on the direction they want to go. Find your Area office on Aging or similar organization in your locale. These people deal with what you are asking on a daily basis. What is wrong with a powered chair anyhow? Use a 'joystick' and that sucker will do anything you want it to do? Please get your phone book out and look at county offices, the meals on wheels people could probably put you on to who to talk to. Call a local nursing home and ask who you might call. He is 92 and paid his dues just by living this long. Programs are out there to help keep him enjoying his life,
    there is what is called Passport program here in Ohio to help people stay in their homes instead of having to go to a nursing home. Win win for everybody as it costs much less than nursing home. Good luck with your Dad the answeres you need are available. bill

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You did not specify motorized or non-motorized.

http://www.motionconcepts.com/terratrek.html

If his upper body strength is OK for flat surfaces, the all terrain non-motorized style at the link works well. Look at the red one. It has handles for a pusher to use. Many younger people who don't need or want a pusher get the model without handles, but that's probably not a good idea in this case. If he likes to fish these even come with rod holders (and gun holders - a kid in a hunters safety class was in one and it was pretty slick).

For motorized, there are just too many styles available to post links. Some look similar to the above manual wheelchairs, others have four wheels of the same size, some have "tank" treads, and there are even models with ginormous balloon tires that will not sink in soft sand. Then there are the zero turning radius scooter style, but few of them are not all terrain.

Whatever you get, see if you can rent that model and put it through the paces. Also check to see what the battery range is. Another overlooked issue is weight. Unless a ramp style van is available, likely the wheelchair will have to be run up on a hitch extension ramp. The vehicle will have to have springs rated to ride level, or be modified. And security... It's an unfortunate truth that these wheelchair, especially the motorized ones, get stolen regularly. Make sure there is a way to lock it to the hitch.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

OK, but I want you guys who insist on motorized to be responsible for the results LOL. Thanks everyone.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

HOw big is your dad??? I have a new never used one, but it was a super heavy duty for when I was super obese,..so it was built for people up to 650lbs...its heavy and overkill for a normal person

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thanks, he's quite thin.

7. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I would check with the VA Hospital in your area or a supplier that deals with Medicare first. Otherwise go on Craigslist.com and get a used one. They sell around here for 50.00 or so all the time. Good Luck and say thanks to your Dad for his service. My idea of a perfect wheelchair outdoors would be a four-wheeler with a cooler, gun rack, and fishing rod holders. If I end up in a nursing-home I hope it has a boat dock in the back. Duane

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I will check with the VA hospital. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.