1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Way Off Topic: salt free food

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have recently moved to Oregon to caretake my very old parents. They are supposed to be on a sodium free or limited diet. They don't cook any more and I never have. Does anyone know about salt limited box meals or heat and eat stuff?

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Go to the grocery store they have it, does it taste good? I doubt it but you might be suprised

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Salt is a flavor enhancer. Mostly the reason why it is added to everything we eat. Spices however, add flavor to the drab things we eat. Thus salt, and pepper.

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Research prepared foods for low sodium diets

5. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Wireguy,

There are reduced sodium products in the larger grocery stores. Everything from soups to no salt or reduced salt pretzels. You just have to read the labels which takes a lot of time.

In frozen check out the Healthy or Organic section and read labels. Usually there's a banner on the box announcing reduced salt or salt free.

Avoid cold cuts, or preserved/processed meats like pepperoni or hot dogs. Salt content is high. There are some hams and cheeses that are low salt at the deli though but you have to ask for them.

Lots of fresh foods fruits, veggies, and meats do not contain salt or have trace salt.

Some people wash everything they eat. I rinse can vegetables then cook them in fresh water (for taste) and I've watched people wash or rub salt off pretzels before they eat them or rinse meats before they cook them to remove preservatives. So removing or diluting away the salt is another possibilty.

Also ask the doctor. Some doctors have lists of naturally low salt foods or saltless foods and are yours for the asking. Or they will direct you to web sites that have the lists or both.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Salt is also used a preservative. Unless the items are marked low sodium there is more than enough salt in each can or box of food for your daily intake.

I quite using salt in the late 80's and have found myself using a lot more pepper or other salt free spices. You get to the point where even lightly salted products taste way too salty.

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Just like likestoshoot. Any salt is way too much. Buy a heart healthy cook book and go to town. Bulge. (Salt reduced since 1985.)

8. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Be sure not to short youself of iodine. Best to check with the doctor.

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thanks for the info. This is a whole new world to me. At least they don't add salt to anything.

10. mike b.

mike b. Member

Doug, You will have to do the cooking to get salt free. Most frozen veggies and fresh are salt free. Unprocessed meat too. Salt free seasonings are available at most grocery chains. Read the labels on other items for daily intake percentages. Beware of red salts (ketchup,BBQ sauce), yellow salts (mustard), brown salts (soy sauce), and other bottled salts. We all need some salt in our diets to survive, it's just keeping it to a minimum. Keep well!

11. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

A trick I've used to minimize the salt is to use ground chili instead. Not 'Chile Powder,' which contains salt (read the label), but pure ground chipotle or Hatch green chili.

It will even substitute for salt in baking bread. If you use a tad too much, the taste becomes rather different, but in small quantities it works.

Tony

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Wireguy, we need to talk. Will try to get intouch tomorrow.

The unfortunate addition to any frozen meal is sodium. Used as a preservative long past necessity, but traditional and so it continues. Some of the "weight watcher" type frozen meals will have about half the sodium content of Banquet, Swanson, etc but your still looking at 500 mg and up. This is not a sodium free world and to get it your going to need to do fresh. Morton has a sodium free salt substitute that I think is good. Walmart has a sodium free ketchup.

Talk more later. Worktime.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There is a product I use to replace salt and enhance the taste of food called "No Salt" ... Its a mix of dehydrated vegetables, made by Encore Gourmet Food Corp., in Montreal, Quebec Canada ... I cut my salt intake by over 50% by replacing salt with this product ... You can get Sea Salt at WalMart ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have read and heard, even from physicians, that the use of Sea Salt is okay and will not cause the problems that regular salt does. I assume one still should not drown their food with it, though.

I don't know if they are correct, but we have been using it for somewhere near the last 6 years. I like it better for taste, and hope the folks who say it's okay are correct.

I went through a number of years of just not using salt, trying all the salt substitutes, but it wasn't the same for taste and I backslid before discovering Sea Salt.

How can one eat fries or popcorn without salt. Yuck!

Bob

15. hoot619

hoot619 Member

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure Bot/PreventionTreatmentofHighBloodPressure/Sea-Salt-Vs-Table-

Both are about the same in sodium content I was thinking of changing to

it. Might try it for taste but not to control my salt intake.. Ken U

16. straightshooter1

Thanks, Hoot. Have to admit it seemed too good to be true.

Bob

17. hoot619

hoot619 Member

I was hoping it was true. Hoot

18. straightshooter1

I could have researched it, but, if I had, I wouldn't have been happy in my ignorance anymore.

I still prefer it for taste. We are having corn-on-the-cob tonight, and I will sprinkle sea salt on it and pretend....

Bob

19. hoot619

hoot619 Member

and enjoying it. Hoot

20. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

No matter how you slice it, sea salt is still salt. If you're trying to reduce your sodium intake, sea salt isn't the way to do it.

Sometimes an acidic sprinkle will do the trick. I keep both 'sour salt' (granular citric acid) and powdered mango around for when chile powder won't work.

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.