1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Way off Topic! Getting rid of cattails from a pond

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Pipe Layer, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

Me and my son are purchasing a 90 acre farm and it has a 3 acre pond on it. It is filling with cattails. They are already 8 to 10 ft. out from the banks. I have trackhoes and back hoes. Is that the way to remove them or is there a better way.And before any one says they are good to eat.I'll pass!Just would like to be able to get to the water.

Thanks,
    Terry Dean

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

They sell a glyphosate (Round Up) mixture that is listed for water, I think it's called Rodeo, it's about 4-5 times the price of Round Up I guess because they can get more for the listing, but the active ingredients are the same, it might have a differant surfactant

But I have used generic round up, glyphosate for years, and it has worked very well, and have had no problems with the fish frogs or mud bugs

I put a pint in the 15 gallon sprayer,in the back of my Gator, spray them good and they will die in a couple of weeks

3. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I know of several people who have sprayed Roundup herbicide.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Burn them in late winter.

5. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well,the back hoes etc. will work,plus,if you want to make money on them put them on e-bay,people with Koi ponds,and water gardes will pay for them.Shoot,I might even buy some if they are priced right for my Koi pond,

Doug H.

6. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

I live in Central Ky. Come and help your self.Bring a big truck!

TD

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

There are a few product out there that will kill your cattails and will not harm any fish or other water life you might have.

I can't remember what I have used in the past, but I do remember there is a "time of year" for proper application.

Do a web search.

8. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

The way we did it was take pure or real strong mix round up and wick it on the cattail. Buy rubbing it on the cattail none got in the water. It is a good bit of work for a lot of cattails need to do it as they start before getting so far along. Tom

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If you don't get the actual cattail off of the plant, they will reseed the pond come next year. They also spread through runners from their root system. It's either 2-3 rounds of Roundup or Roundup/Backhoe/Roundup. The invasion will likely last for several years. Good luck.

10. Smoke 1

Smoke 1 Banned User Banned

not to tread on this thread but is there anything that will get rid of heavy duck weed in a pond I can use? don't want to hurt the fish and water species?

11. Catpower

Over lunch I checked into it, Rodeo was the herbicide I was thinkin of, it runs about $130 for 2.5 gallons, it's 53.5% glyphosate

I buy generic glyphosate for about $10 per gallon, but that's in 250 gallon totes, it's 41%, it's the same stuff just not quite as potent

12. Catpower

Ran you can use Diquat, or copper sulfate, not really sure if sulfate will kill duck weed, but it does kill alot of other weeds, but Diquat will kill duck weed

13. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

ran200, you need to look at the herbicides called Reward and Sonar. Sonar is very expensive, but nothing compares to it. Read up on those two.

Here are the websites:

http://www.syngentaprofessionalproducts.com/prodrender/index.aspx?prodid=358

http://www.sepro.com/default.php?page=sonar

John E.

14. Catpower

Damn that sonar is about $2000 per gallon, diquat is about $250 for 2.5 gallons and is labeled for aquatic use to kill duck weed

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Duck weed and cattails? Get some grass carp- they cant breed but they eat the heck out of roots

You can order from any fish supplier

Entertaining to watch a snapping turtle latch on to a 30 pounder and watching the fish and turtle spin for 3 days in the pond- assume the turtle won but those fish are tough

Regards from Iowa

Gene

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Fire is cheap and it is dependable. Guys use that ditch cleaning method around here all the time and they also burn off the huge chunks of the marshes (protected wetlands) each year as well. About as natural and eco friendly as it gets. Don't worry they will come back - it is an airborne seed.

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Personally, I would use the back hoe and reach out as far as it will go to dig the pond deeper and to remove the cattails. The ones we have in our ponds only grown in shallow water, thereby digging the edge of the pond out creates deeper water and removes the problem. I leave some of them in my pond as it provides a place to hide for the smaller fish. Jackie B.

18. Catpower

Read up real good before using Triploid Grass Carp, make sure they are sterilized or they will ruin your pond, they well eat everything expect filmatous algae, and alot of good fish need the plants that they eat to survive, if all you want in the pond is Crappie and shad they are alright, but they will also cause an increase of algae or pond scum floating on the top of the water

Another thing that will happen is when they eat everything the pond will start to turn muddy, and if you over stock they are very hard to catch to reduce the population

I've had ponds for about 17 yrs and have done some heavy duty research into weed control, and have found that Glyphos, Diquat, and copper sulfate are your friends, some people prefer chelated copper, but regular sulfate will work, just don't go over board with it, or it will cause problems with frog and crawfish production and those are some good cheap fish feed

And mechanically removing them is a goat f#$%, it just spreads it around alot better so you end up having a larger problem

19. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

BP has the answer

20. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Buy about 1/2 dozen or so Baboons. They will eat all of the cattails right down to the roots and then when winter comes, they will freeze to death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.