1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

way off topic- first slingshot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tcr1146, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me approximately when rubber was "invented" or discovered and approximately when the first conventional slingshot was developed or perfected using rubber to launch the projectile?! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Thought you where looking for 1st sling shot, mine. Thumb and forfinger rubber band and paper clips, then a wrist rocket shooting round bearings found around the auto shop. deadly.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Slings have been around forever. Rubber strapped slingshots possibly in the teens? Surgical rubber tubing is the latest and best I've seen. Heres a pic of a modern slingshot thats interesting! Lazer sighted,red dot and has a shot pouch too for shotgunning? :)

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

New trap sling? :) Hap

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I don't know when they were first made, But I built my first one about 1959. Used a forked hickory stick, cut up bicycle inner tubes for rubber, And a piece of an old shoe tongue for the leather rock pocket.

Jim

5. trw

trw Member

March 17, 1845 Stephen Perry patn'd. the first "rubber bands", in London. I doubt it took long before the first hand held 'catapult' [Brit for slingshot] was using them.

FWIW, latex rubber was known to & used by Mayan Indians, but I can find no refs that say that they had any knowledge of slingshots or possessed the technology to use it in that manner.

Perhaps this helps you out some.

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

About 1950, red inner tubes got the best fps. 1 skinny kid, 1 sling shot, pocket full of green cherries= take a bully off of a bike at 25yds. Too little to get mad, always got even. GOOD LUCK

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Rubber first became useful when sulfur was used to vulcanize it and eliminate its stickiness.

The first common slingshots may have been made using a "Y" shaped tree branch and pieces cut from an inner tube. (To you new guys, inner tubes are what used to keep air in tires before the invention of tubeless tires.)

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.