1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WAY off Topic: Electronic Readers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by RFGA2, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

I know this message has nothing to do with using 71/2s or 8s but here goes. I am looking at buying my wife a Kindle or Sony or Nook electronic reader for Christmas. She travels a lot and reads lots of books.

If you have one, I have the following questions. I realize this is almost like K-guns vs P-guns but need your input.
    What do you feel are the pros and cons of your unit and would you buy it again or switch to a different brand?

Thanks for your help.

Bob Gibson
    Charlotte, NC

2. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

I know this message has nothing to do with using 71/2s or 8s but here goes. I am looking at buying my wife a Kindle or Sony or Nook electronic reader for Christmas. She travels a lot and reads lots of books.

If you have one, I have the following questions. I realize this is almost like K-guns vs P-guns but need your input.
    What do you feel are the pros and cons of your unit and would you buy it again or switch to a different brand?

Thanks for your help.

Bob Gibson
    Charlotte, NC

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Seems like an expensive complicated way to do a very simple thing.

Eric

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

Well, the advantage for a traveller is that the reader is much lighter than even a single book, let alone 3-4. The Kindle will hold between 1400-1500 books and download new ones in about 1 minute. So it is much more convenient than carrying around a stack of books. You can also download magazines and newspapers and use it as an MP3 player.

Don't know much about the Sony or Nook readers, I've never seen one of them, but everyone I know that has a Kindle, 12-15 people, loves them.

5. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

The supposed advantage of the Sony (don't know about the Nook) is that you should be able to buy your books from any electronic book seller as opposed to the Kindle forcing you to buy your books exclusively at Amazon. That's no real advantage if other book sellers don't all agree to use the same open source format for the book file, but if they do all get behind a single standard, it would be a real advantage. I haven't a clue how close that is to becoming a reality (if it ever does)...

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I purchased a Kindle for my wife about a year ago. She loves it. You do not need an internet connection to download books. Books can be archived on Amazon website. Kindle allows you to take notes and they stay with the archived book.

Jim Skeel

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You can get whatever you want free at the Libary. Just a thought.......

8. jhoward

jhoward Member

I know on the Kindle you can adjust the font sizes, yes. Don't know about the other readers.

9. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Just pre-ordered the Sony Daily Reader for my husband. Like the Kindle Dx it is wireless. Supposed to ship around 12/18 which is a little close for comfort. Did alot of research and the Kindle DX is most appealing to me as a woman. But because it is for my husband I went with the Sony due to style and function. Sony's touch screen was voted #1 by one of the leading Computer magazines. Go to Sonystyle.com website and take a look at the Daily Reader. The Nook can be researched at Barnes and Noble and of the Kindle can be found on Amazon. Kim :)

10. jbshep

jbshep Member

I use my Kindle daily and love it. I read a lot of depositions and technical articles that I upload to my Kindle in PDF format. The amount of paper that I carry around on that small reader would require about three banker's boxes to hold! - Brad

11. jbshep

jbshep Member

I use my Kindle daily and love it. I read a lot of depositions and technical articles that I upload to my Kindle in PDF format. The amount of paper that I carry around on that small reader would require about three banker's boxes to hold! - Brad

12. jbshep

jbshep Member

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Is there such a thing as a "second hand electronic bookstore"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.