1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

way o.t.- preventing freezer burn

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blizzard, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

looking for ideas and suggestions to prevent freezer burn. help?

brett d.

2. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

Get a Food Saver vacuum sealer.--Dan--

3. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

No question, Food Saver. Been using one for years. Food lasts at least 3X's longer vacuum packed than wrapped. Especially noticable with fish, which burns easily.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Even using ziplocks, get the air out of the package. with fish, freeze them and then dip in water to form a glaze of ice on them.

Got a food saver, it's a good answer.

HM

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I never have freezer burn with wild game. I always wrap the meat first in plastic bag with air squeezed out and then in coated freezer wrap paper.

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

thank you all. i just went out to the freezer in the garage and discovered that my venison burger and sausage was starting to get frost in the corner of the bags. i caught it in time, but it gets a little aggrivating to work that hard for fresh venison, only to have it claimed by the freezer.

the frost was in the corners, where the ground didn't get compacted, so the air thing holds true. yet again, trapshooters.com to the rescue. thanks again.

brett d.

7. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

i've checked out food saver's website. what model do you guys reccomend?

brett d.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Tip os the day:

Fjoddsavers work poorly if you use the wrong bag. A bag with texture inside allowing the air to move is best. If you try to use a smooth bag it will collapse by the sucking part and the air will not come out.

(found out the hard way. I tried the cheapie bags that come in a roll and you make them up, but they were smooth and they worked for shit.)

Got the ready made bags and the air comes right out. Perfect.

HM

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I freeze my ducks, geese and fish in a half gallon milk carton filled with water. Keeps em for a long time with no damage. I usually use my venison within 1 year so it keeps in my chest freezer. My self defrosting freexer with my fridge won't even keep ice cream. It sucks

10. wy_don

wy_don TS Member

From cutting up our own familys (wife, 2 grown hunters, and me) elk, deer and antelope, we cut it ourselves, wife wraps it tight twice in stretch wrap, then a zip lock bag, then in coated freezer paper. I just went out and checked the freezer and we have 3 yr. old elk that I unwrapped and it is fine. Sealer is great, especially for fish, but the "bags" are very costly. Just our way of enjoying our Wyoming harvest.

Don Ewing

11. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Besides usning the vacuum sealers for protecting food that is to be frozen I like it for marinating small cuts of meat. One of my favorites is to put a couple of chicken breasts in a wide mouth quart jar, add the marinade and use the vacuum-lid attachment. The meat is marinaded in half and hour or so! I've also used it for pre-packaging food for wilderness camping. Because you draw all the air out of the bag there is less volume. Many good uses for the vacuum sealer.

Rem31TC

12. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Yes, a foodsaver is the best way but the second best way has also been mentioned. That of wrapping meat tightly with plastic wrap, then heavy freezer paper.

Tim

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    When I was a kid, we always bought our milk in half-gallon wax paper cartons. When done we'd cut the tops off, slide in our trout, fill with water, then freeze them solid. No freezer burn.<br>
    <br>
    For larger meat, we used a vacuum sealer.

14. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

thanks for the help guys.

brett d.

15. JPK1957

JPK1957 TS Member

Auto-defrost freezers add to the problem. We have an old chest type freezer that does not defrost itself, and stuff lasts at least twice as long. John

16. DJM

DJM Member

We bought a Food Saver and wound up selling it on E-Bay. Could not get the darn thing to work well. When you have two deer cut up and ready to wrap I cannot see spending that amount of time putsing with the Food Saver. Had a hard time getting bags to seal and then the next day too many of them we thought were sealed had air in them from a failed seal. The final straw was seeing the high price of replacement bags once those that came in the kit were gone. Went back to clear wrap followed by waxed butcher paper. Fast, economical and gives you a full year to use your meat. Don Miller

17. skeezix

skeezix Member

I process my own meat- one whitetail, 4 antelope, and one elk in the last 2 seasons. I use a foodsaver- can't imagine not having it. I buy the foodsaver brand rolls available at sportsmans warehouse and um wallmart. I've never had a problem with unsealed bags. Once and a while if there is too much liguid in the bag it doesn't seal- i just clean off the sealing area and put a paper towel in the bag to catch the juices and then re-seal. Works great for fish too- i have some fish that have been in the freezer a couple years that are fine.

john

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.