1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Way O/T need new Toilet info

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigbore613, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Hey guys, I have a friend that needs a new toilet. The house is old ang the toilet he wants to replace is a 3.2 g flush. It is also a good 200 feet to the drainfield through 4 inch Cast iron. He wants one that will continue to run water as long as you hold the handle down. Nothing wrong with the existing toilet but wants HC hieght. Tried a mid grade TOTO on the lower floor, not good stain resistant and flapper drops automaticly. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

American Standard Cadet or Plebe or a Kohler

He probably needs to send a camera down the cast iron, after time it will plug up, and when it does it can become very brittle, along the bottom where water trickles it will wear a groove in the pipe

But if the pipe is fairly new that probably wouldn't be a problem

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

No problems with the drains just need more water to that distance ie get the sht outa here! LOL. Jeff

4. Catpower

We have long runs too, and I replaced the ones that came with the house with Am Std Cadets they are really about the gold standard, they do really good unless somebody lays the mother lode, then you might have to hold the lever down

But they are about 8 years old the way everything is greening up they probably have been replaced with something greener (worse), that uses more water in real life but saved an oz in the lab

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I told him to just turn on the sink and let it run while um , going. WAter consumption is not a problem. Thanks, Jeff

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What ever he gets it would be a good idea to get a one piece unit. Cleaning is easy and you don't have to worry about bad bolts and leaks because of bad bolts.

7. single stack

single stack Member

The house is old? How old?
    12" R/O is standard now but old houses have old fixtures.
    Measure from the bolts to the wall behind the toilet.
    If your R/O is odd, buy a handicap seat that raises the height.

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Thanks , but not the problem. Going from over 3 gallons to less than 2 is. Jeff

9. Catpower

Most of the new ones can be "converted" to 3 gallon easily

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Will give you all I know...lift seat ...drop drawers ..plant ass...fill bowl...wipe..repeat this step as needed...flush..pull up drawers..wash hands and for gosh sakes spray some Lysol dude!!

11. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Let's see now 3.2 gals versus 1.6 gals over a 200 foot run in a 4" pipe? Does he really think 3.2 gals is going get a big one all the way to the septic tank/sewer line in one flush?? Come on think about it even at the standard 1/4 inch drop per four feet a normal flush is not going to get a big loaf moved 200 feet!! Now then shower or the washing machine doing its thing is going to get that BIG one the total distance maybe or maybe after a day or two. Plus the dishwashing or dishwasher is going to add some help. All I really know about plumbing for sure is the stink goes up the sh#t goes down, don't chew your fingernails and payday is on Thursday!!He he. Bill PS we have not been able to buy new 3.2 gal toilets in this country for a number of years now, if it was really a problem with the low water usage toilets and long runs every body and their brother would be up to their knees in sh$t by now. Is he really sure his 200 foot line is absolutely clear? No roots or a broken section from whatever?? Just saying. Someone did sugest he get a riser for the existing toilet a very low cost low tech fix for sure. Heck one of those commodes that straddle an existing toilet would work also, nice hand holds too. So a 200 foot run is not all that long, I just paced off the run at my neighbors house and it is 120' from about where his master bath is to the middle of the street and there is at least a 30 foot run from that bath to the other one and then out towards the street. This house was built in 1997 and is a ranch on two blocks out of the ground crawl space. It has low water usage toilets in it and no problems in the ten years I have lived next door. I find it a bit odd that you say the line is cast iron on out through the yard, typicaly the iron only goes just past the foundation and then way back in the day it went into vitreouus tile for the run to the septic. Of course in the 50's transite/asbestous cement pipe was used and then in the 60's pvc etc made its appearance. Could it be some of the problem is partially blocked pipe or the draft 1/4" in 4 foot is not correct? Let us know what you find out. Bill

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I heard that if you make the drive to Wisconsin, Kohler will custom fit the toilet to your ass. Is this really true?

13. dhip

dhip Active Member

Venting could be the problem also.My house uses a 1 1/2"vent ,outside and ends under the rain gutter.MY son's apartment over my garage uis newr ,uses a 3" pipe straight up through roof higer than peak.He has NO problem flushing,if septic gets a tad full after a rain,mine slows down.Just saying,older house,cast iron,might have a small vent pipe also.Also,my house built in 1950 after the iron goes into what thye called orange coat,apparently it is nothing but rolled tar paper.It tends to egg shape and slowly close off over the years.Found that out when we addaed sons to ours,had to boot the pvc to it,that was fun,LOL...

Doug H.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I dont really think a 1.6gal flush will make it all the way to McDonalds

15. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

The man just wants more water down the hole thats all and the best porcelin. Jeff

16. Catpower

Jeff he can't go wrong with Am Std Cadet, one in our house goes over 150 ft no problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.