1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WAY O/T-Mildew on old record albums

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gbatch, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbatch

    gbatch TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    259
    I dug out some of my old 33 1/3 record albums from storage in our crawl space and found that some of them have a light coating of mildew. The mildew is (1) on the record, (2) inside the sleeve and (3) on the inside and outside of the jacket. I can replace the sleeves. As to the records, a good cleaning in mild soap and water and then a solution of water and alcohol should take care of the vinyl.

    Any suggestions on how to get the mildew out of the inside of the jacket? I'm thinking pry it open a couple inches, spray a little Lysol or Oust inside and allow it to air dry. Suggestions? Any record buffs here?

    Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL
     
  2. hoggy

    hoggy TS Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2006
    Messages:
    1,261
    Can't help you on the inside of the jackets. However I'm still a vinyl nut and have just under 500 albums I still listen to regularly on my Linn LP12 turntable. I use a nitty gritty record washer for cleaning. You might try getting a hold of the people at www.musicdirect.com. They still sell new vinyl and all kinds of hi end gear. I bet they could help you with the jackets. There's another website that specializes in old vinyl and tapes called circle sky records. Try emailing them at info@circleskyrecords.com and see if they can help. I'd also find another place to store them.
     
  3. gbatch

    gbatch TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    259
    Hoggy:
    Thx.
    Roger on the new storage place.
    If I could find a Nitty Gritty used, I'd take it.

    I found a place near my house that sells vinyl (new and old) as well as most accessories for turntables. What a find this place is - I could browse around for hours. Reminds me of the old record stores I used to go to as a kid. <:)

    Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL
     
  4. hoggy

    hoggy TS Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2006
    Messages:
    1,261
    Here in Seattle we have lots of places that sell and deal in old vinyl. I used to go looking but don't anymore. I'd say 95% of my albums I bought new when they 1st came out. Of the other 5% I'd say 95% of those are replacements to my originals that we're not good pressings. The rest are ones I wanted but never bought new when released. You'd be surprised how good some albums that look scratched play on good equipment and the smaller stylists get in the grooves after the scratches without touching them. I bought my nitty gritty new. Couldn't believe all the beer and crap that was spilled on them when I was in my 20's.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.