1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WAY O/T Luger proofmarks

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mr. listo, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr. listo

mr. listo Member

I saw a 90% Luger at a local pawn shop. The owner said it was made in 1937 and was an SS pistol. I saw no SS markings on it, but he said he had researched the proof marks and they were SS. All the guns parts matched as far as serial number, but not the magazine.

Any ideas as to where to look on the internet for specific proofmarks?

Thanks in advance,

Harry Gable

2. rem725

rem725 TS Member

Try This site. http://luger.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4246

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    *Generally* the best you can do for an SS specific Luger are the few that will have marking for SS "Legions", like the Croatian division, etc. (These had a shield with a checkerboard pattern stamped on the side.) There are rarely any differences between those issued to the SS and those issued to the Wehrmacht Heers (army), Luftwaffe or Krigsmarine (navy), though a few do have markings specific to their branch of service. Overall, though, mMost Lugers lacked specific markings of this type, unlike many Walther PP, PPK and P-38 pistols.<br>
    <br>
    Having said that, yes, there are a rare few Lugers with SS markings. One example is "1. Pol.3", which is 1st Battalion, SS Police, Regiment 3.<br>
    <br>
    However, also keep in mind that it was more common to have such markings in WWI, and while many look like WWII markings, they aren't, and the use of these WWI specific codes was discontinued after WWI.<br>
    <br>
    More important from a collector standpoint are the factory and date codes. Some combinations are less frequently seen, or are rare. As for the SS, it is known many of the 41 BYF and 42 BYF Lugers went to the SS, but this does not prove they were specifically issued to the SS.<br>
    <br>
    If the Luger has a holster, it could have codes on it proving branch of service or unit. It's usually meaningless unless the gun has bring back papers, or unless the holster has a serial number or partial serial number penned on it.<br>
    <br>
    The worst thing you can do is overpay for a gun whose history cannot be substantiated. You might want to check some books. A good one to start with would be Luger Tips by Michael Reese II. He mainly covers the less common, pre-WWII Lugers, though, but there are code breakdowns in the book.

4. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

There was a Luger that was considered by many collectors to be a SS. They were the death head rework. Early DWM or Erfurt 1914-1918. This model is thought to be early SS 1930-1933. The reason its thought to be SS is a skull and cross bone proof mark above the date on the chamber. I would consider any Luger that is suppose to be SS suspect until its documented. If you can describe that proof mark I will look it up in one of my Luger books.

Navy and Luftwaffe Lugers are easier to identify. I collected Nazi items for 20 some years. I had adds in the paper and shoppers from 1979 until the mid 90s and about every item I bought was taken of either a German officer or a SS officer so I was told.

If your looking for a real nice Luger at the Tulsa gun show a few weeks ago we had 12 really nice Lugers on are table including 1 carbine some of these are still available.

5. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

antique go to www.simpsonltd.com he has 5 American eagles listed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.