1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

way O/T- Crown molding angles

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ohiomike, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

As I said...way off topic.

My brother called me for advice today, and I have contracted a terrible case of mental block...he is using a compound miter saw to put up crown molding on a vaulted ceiling, and needs to know how to set the angles on the saw for outside corners.

Years ago, I could have told him in a heartbeat, but right now I simply can't come up with the answer, must be getting old.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Mike

2. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

well you put a catch in it valted ceiling??? that can mean any angle. he will have to find pitch to do it and It could be trial for a while. 45* is for flat but that dont work on angle. start with a 22 and work off that if he dont have beveal square

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If your saw has crown stops set them by turning the moulding upside down , the inside of the bottom of the crown (now that it is upside down ,the bottom is now at the top, will have a flat on the back holdit against the fence by raising it up off the saw and move it in and out until the flat is firmly against the fence and slide it down until it touches.Adjust your stops , or mark the saw. A 12 inch piece will make it easy. Damn thats alot of typing after a few Crown Royal's. Merry almost Christmas, Jeff

4. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

31 7/8 and 32 and 5/8

but in my drunken stuper.....I can't remember which is which.
    Sorry.

Rick in Mt.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The corners are almost never square. Use a coping saw on one adjoining corner to get a perfect fit.

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

He's talking outside corner 410. That was the secret for inside.

7. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

8. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Set the angle at 7-1/2 maybe 8

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mike, Every Compond Miter Saw that I have ever used has the markings on the saw and the bevel as well. Some are triangles, or circles, but theres a mark (highlight) of some kind on both degree plates. There will also be a automatic lock at the position as well. Takes all the guess work out. Break-em all. Jeff

PS The angle on the inside corner is the same as the outside corner, only the cut is reversed!!!

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

<div style='text-align:center'>
    <object width='560' height='450' id='FiveminPlayer' classid='clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000'>
    <param name='allowfullscreen' value='true'/>
    <param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'/>
    <param name='movie' value='http://embed.5min.com/61998836/'/>
    <param name='wmode' value='window' />
    <embed name='FiveminPlayer' src='http://embed.5min.com/61998836/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='560' height='450' allowfullscreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' wmode='window'>
    </embed>
    </object>
    <br/><a href='http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Cut-and-Position-Crown-Molding-61998836' style='font-family: Verdana;font-size: 10px;' target='_blank'>Cut and Position Crown Molding</a>
    </div>

This is how I do it. That is assuming a vertical wall and horizontal ceiling.

HM

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

You would also need to know if the vaulted ceiling is a square or octagon. Most of the vaulted ceilings I helped my son with were octagon shaped and required a different angle. Another thing is how wide is the trim. Most are around six inches that I've helped with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

crown molding vaulted ceiling compound miter saw