1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Way O/T- Coffee

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dave P, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

This is obviously not about trapshooting, so, if it bothers you then click off.

I like to try new blends once in awhile so I was searching and came accross the term "fair trade". Anyone know what that means? I couldn't find a definition.

2. Loyac

Loyac Member

The United States consumes one-fifth of all the world's coffee, making it the largest consumer in the world. But few Americans realize that agriculture workers in the coffee industry often toil in what can be described as "sweatshops in the fields." Many small coffee farmers receive prices for their coffee that are less than the costs of production, forcing them into a cycle of poverty and debt.
    Fair Trade is a viable solution to this crisis, assuring consumers that the coffee we drink was purchased under fair conditions. To become Fair Trade certified, an importer must meet stringent international criteria; paying a minimum price per pound of $1.26, providing much needed credit to farmers, and providing technical assistance such as help transitioning to organic farming. Fair Trade for coffee farmers means community development, health, education, and environmental stewardship.

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks.

Any others buy different blend on the net? Got any reccomendations?

4. Mapper

Mapper Member

Go to www.bluelioncoffee.com
    They have some interesting stuff.

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Is there an alternative to using the K-CUPS ?

6. rick resko

rick resko TS Member

Jerry you can buy an adapter unit to replace the k-cup holder.It was around $15.00. You can find them on the net. It has a fine wire mesh basket in it and a quarter turn lid. Fill it with your favorite and brew away. My daughter picked up a bag of Dunkin Donuts ground coffee for us to try. I just wish the basket held a little more ground coffee as i like mine on the stout side.

7. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

are k cups bigger than
    "d" cups???

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

EE. I'll try that. I have had it in the past, but my wife got us going on Starbucks Breakfast blend. But I'll get a bag-o-beans and see if you know beans about beans

9. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

EE, second your recommendation, enjoying a cup right now. Keep coming back to the Eight O Clock coffee, good price and great flavor.
    John

10. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

Coffee flavor can change depending on the water. soft/hard, from area to area

dennis

11. rrose

rrose TS Member

I also vote for 8 o clock but I like the regular red bags more than the 100% columbian. Consumer reports did publish the results that the 8 o clock columbian was the winner of their taste tests and it is mighty good.
    Back in the day I was with Wallingford Coffee(a Cincinnati company) for 9 years and I have tried many many different kinds of coffee, one thing I have learned is that every one has different taste buds and coffee is like guns and trucks, not every one will like the some kind.
    Find one you like and enjoy it.
    randy

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I really don't care what people are paid to pick coffee beans. I only care how much I pay for the refined product. We can't save everyone in the world........

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I went to a coffee press. I buy whole beans and grind then add to the press. Best coffee I ever had and I have been drinking coffee for 58 years. The press is the way to go

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you have a Costco near you, try their house brand, it is 100% Columbian!

I our Bunn coffee maker...itis really good!

15. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Also at Costco is their store brand "kirkland" roasted by Starbucks which is an excellent coffee.

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

On a semi-related note, has anyone noticed that what, for decades, was called a "1-Pound" container of coffee slowly became a 14oz., then a 13oz, then a 12oz. and now an 11.5oz container? You'll want to pay close attention to weights & measures when you're shopping for goods these days, because more and more sneaky bean counters are "keeping the prices down" my providing less product. "Economy Size" containers at Sam's Club and the like are also often not such great deals once you do the math.

-Gary

17. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Dazbog coffee is the best I've ever had. Home base is in Denver, but they have a store back here in Gaithersburg, MD and a couple on the left coast.

Hey CC, how does the coffee press work?

Cheers,

George

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Eight O' Clock Columbian is one of the absolute best coffees out there, there is also one at Sam's Club called European Cafe, Kona Blend (it's hot roasted in Scottsdale, Az) and but a bit pricy its good also, but not worth the difference between it and Eight O' Clock ...
    I have heard the coffee press is the way to go but have never tried one, Yet ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Maybe if everyone is really bored, look up shade grown coffee. I think every place on the planet needs a little help these days. John

20. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

folgers man!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.