1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Way O/T Can Crusher

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dave P, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I need the help and advice of those experienced in electric motor motor power,rheostats. This is is a something a retired person thinks about. I have access to a bunch of washer motors in the 1750 rpm area but I don't know how to slow them down. I have been able to figure most everything else out but that. Searching the web hasn't done much good because I don't understand the language and the symbols. My idea is simply use a burner on an electric stove. I know about momentum, rotation etc. Any help available out here.? I'm a tinkerer only. Thanks, Dave P.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Many AC motors are single speed, with their speed governered by the power feed (ie 60 hz). Speed changes are accomplished through pulleys or gears. In fact, if you slow one down enough, the start circuit can kick in.

My advice is use a pulleys and a v-belt.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Brian is correct, the above website gives a good explanation why. Theory says they run at 1800, she slip factor makes it 1725. manufacturing with more poles will change the speed.

You can change the speed by purchasing a VFD unit, about 200 dollars. These change the frequency (and the voltage, so get the right one)

Drives.com has them.

Pulleys are cheaper.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.