1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Way O/T Anyone here have gastric bypass?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mrrem3200, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

I’m thinking of having bariatric surgery (stomach bypass) has anyone here had that surgery and what were your thoughts?

Thanks.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I can't speak for myself; however my daughter had this procedure done about 5 years ago. There are of course issues with it, as with any procedure. i.e. you just can't eat anything you want. She has volunteered to counsel people that are considering this procedure. I will say she is much happier today, than she was before the procedure. If you want to, send me your email address to me and I will forward her the information and she can contact you regarding any questions you may have. Ed

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

I've been in health care for 15 years and have seen this surgery come and go. It's pretty invasive. It ONLY works, in my humble opinion, if it's accompanied by a major lifestyle (eating habits) change. Some people think they can have the surgery and just go back to doing what they were doing that created the need for the surgery. And IF you go ahead with it, make sure you get a doc/hospital that does it a LOT, so they know what they're doing...
    Bruce

4. gotbass

gotbass Member

I had it about 2 1/2 years ago and only wish I had had it done years before. If you are willing to make some changes in your life it is a wonderful tool. My wife had it done about 5 years before me and had what is referred to as a full open. I had mine done othoscopically (sp) and had a much easier recovery. Please feel free to email me if you want to talk further, just drop the xxxs. xxxgotbassatsbcglobal.netxxx also convert the at. Mike Ralston

5. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

mrrem3200, Consider a gastric sleeve. No malabsorption problems, done endoscopicly, usually out of the hospital in three days and allot less complications.

Mike

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

As a surgeon I'd suggest you meet with a surgeon in your area to get the lowdown on whether you qualify for the procedure and if so, what is the best option.

The two options are the actual gastric bypass and the lap band. Both have pros and cons and you surgeon could go over them with you.

The surgeons in my town that do these procedures have frequent seminars to discuss all this info with multiple patients at once then do one to one consults on those who qualify and are still interested, I imagine surgeons in your area would do the same.

You could get a ton of advice from people but you need to meet with a surgeon so you can talk specifically about you. Doesn't mean you have to have the procedure. I'm sure your yellow pages has many listings. Look for bariatric surgery.

7. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

I had two friends that had this done and if you noticed I said had. The both of them are worm food now, because they got an infection and died a horrable death. They were both sick in the hospitol for almost a year before they died. Only my opinion. Keep shooten!
    FRAN

8. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

I have met and talked with a surgeon, and he tells me that the bypass is the gold standard for weight loss. I’ve talked to people who have had the lap band; they all either lost no significant weight or had to have the band removed. The surgeon I chose is the head of bariatric surgery for a prestigious Boston hospital. My heath is good, low blood pressure, cholesterol is excellent and so forth, however at 53 years of age and 328 pounds at 5’8” my doctor told me that this procedure would add years to my life. I thought I would seek some information from the guys on this site; you all have been very helpful in the past. Thank you again for your help. Any other comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Leo Harrison had this done several years ago as did several of his friends who also suffered from their weight. He would do it again in a heartbeat. If you want to call and talk to him our home number is 573-985-8237. It was a life-saver!

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have no first hand experience but I know several people who have had it done and most are elated with the over all results ... I know people who have gained back all of the weight because they didn't continue with the dietary suppliments and support diet to keep the weight off ... I have heard that the overall success rate is very high but its not like some magic weight loss solution and there are some people who have not fared well with it in the long run and even died as a direct result of not doing what they were supposed to do after the proceedure ... I'm 6'5" and 325#'s so I figure I'm a little fluffy as in Chunky and or I'm just to short for my weight ...

Karla,

Has Leo been able to keep the weight off or does he still struggle with it ..? He has always been a big man so it has to be tough ... I can drop 25#'s and gain it back all in one week ... How can one 2lb. pizza weight 20 pounds once you eat the damn thing ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

better listen to handpuller If you cant get off the carboated stuff your lossed. If you do you dont need it 3 big mac's and a soda dont work. rick

12. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i live with a lady that her 1st husband had this done in 1983. he never told the dr. he was a heavy drinker. 3 days after they sent him home he fell over dead in front of all the kids.i think they also may have sent him home to soon. they probably do things different now than 25 years ago if you have this procedure done i would make darn sure you tell the dr. everything about you dwain

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My wife had it done three years ago. At first, she regretted doing it because she said the pain made childbirth feel like a stomach ache. But a few months later, she was singing another tune. "Best thing I ever did for myself," were her words then and still are. She's happier and more fun to live with and I've had 36 years of living with her to use as a yardstick. She now wants me to have it done.

Those who said you have to learn to moderate your food intake are right on. It took her a while to get a handle on that and when you become full after the surgery, it happens quickly and not heeding the first signs of fullness becomes a painful mistake. None the less, she still says she does not regret having it done. She lost 117 pounds and looks very much like the girl I married!

Ed

14. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

My sister had it done about six years ago now. She lost half her body weight. Those who indicate you have to be committed to lifestyle change are right on. Even when done using the small holes, this is still major surgery. It is not a magic pill, it is a tool to be combined with diet change. Because your stomach is so incredibly small after the surgery, you have to be careful to make the food you eat protein and vitamin rich. Meat and veggies.

The other major component to success is to thoroughly check out your surgeons. My sister lives between Grand Rapids and Lansing, MI. The closest center that performs this surgery is in Grand Rapids, but she did her research and found that those who have it done in GR have a much higher rate of complications and problems. She went over on the west coast of MI and had very few issues. To this day, she tells me stories about how talking to people who experience complications with the procedure. She says "you must have had it done in GR", and they all say "yes, how did you know?".

Do your homework and talk to former patients.

15. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Had it done 2 years ago. Lost 80 Lbs., my diabetes disappeared, my sleep apnea disappeared, my high blood pressure went to normal, my energy returned as did a positive attitude. Best thing I ever did and I have had 0 problems.Talk to your doctor about whatever co morbidity conditions you have because most of them will go away after you loose the weight. Gary L.

16. rgircguy

rgircguy TS Member

Had it done 2&1/2 years ago,I am convinced it saved my life! I Would do it again in a heartbeat. Do your research and go to some support group meetings, and learn about the different surgeries available. Its not a magic bullet but it is an amazing tool for weight loss if you are willing to play by the rules!

Rod

17. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I have diabetes and have heard that this surgery will put it straight into remission or cure it all together. Only problem is that I can not qualify for it because I'm not heavy enough. Anyone else heard about this. I saw it on the TV one night.

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Wouldn't the "PUSH/Lifestyle" diet be better and safer than surgery??

Worked for me!!

Curt

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Gosh Curt what is the "Push/Lifestyle" diet???

Don
    (straight man)

20. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

If a lifestyle change(i.e. caloric intake and excercise) is required after the invasive surgery, why not try changing one's lifestyle with out the procedure?

It may take longer to see results, and be a lot of hard work, but at least you are not being carved on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.