1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Way O/T, Anyone driving a Prius?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Steve W, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I noticed they are all over the street, almost every corner I turn, there's a Prius, no matter it's next to a Chevy pickup or a Ferrari, they are hard to ignore.

The only place I don't see them is at the trap range. LOL.

Anyone here has first hand experience with ownership of a Prius? what's your other car?

Other than it's small, what's your complain? if you have any.

2. SteveT

SteveT Member

Son in Law has one. He loves it and yes he gets kidded about driving it by someone every day. 40+ mile per gallon and he has a 1.5 hour commute each way to work. Their other car is a Jeep Liberty.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A friend had one, cursed it e4very day. If he left it sit more than 2 days he had to call the dealer to come and get it running again.

Got rid of it after 9 months.

HM

4. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I don't have a Prius but this spring I bought a Camry Hybred.
    I love this car!. Plenty of room, comfortable and good looking.
    Milage in the Minneapolis metro area is 43-44 MPG At 75 mph, it
    gets 38-39 mpg. Every bit as good as a diesel without the premium
    price. Pretty quick too. 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. I looked at the Prius hard but it was just to small. A friend has one and he said what he didn't like about it was on the interstate on windy days it gets knocked around quite a bit.

5. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

I have an '05, with 104,600. I am on a trip, and the first leg was 350 mi. used 7.4 gal of gas. Two things I don't like are the doors will not stay open, and the AM radio reception is VERY poor. Have had no trouble, replaced the 12 Volt battery ($230.00) about 3 months ago. I Would buy another in a heart beat. I find I have plenty of room, and power/speed. My 3 cents worth. Oh, yes,,my other car is a '91 ford pickup.

Norman

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I hear ya. Hell, even a few straight males have started buying them.

-Gary

7. APrice

APrice Active Member

Know what you mean Gary, most I see around here have that rainbow sticker in the rear window.

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I assumed that was a factory decal.

9. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If I did I don't think I'd admit to it!

Bob

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

We see several at the gun club. No Rainbow stickers, but a couple of Skeet Shooters.

I know, I left the door open, some Trapshooter kick it shut. LOL

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My truck burns all the gas your Prius saves.

12. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Only Prius owners I know have two, WHY because they are so small every time they want to travel it takes both to make the trip!!!

He drive one and She drives the other, so they can carry the needed luggage!!

13. lzxray

lzxray TS Member

I own one. Very reliable. A Gen 2 Prius with over 170K miles without any issue and on the original Hybrid drive battery. Battery is warranted for 100K miles, more in some states such as Calif., NY & others.

To answer your inquiry:

"Anyone here has first hand experience with ownership of a Prius?
    Pros:

Obviously gas savings (45 miles combined), better mileage w/ city driving or in hilly terrain. High quality build with a lot of features as standard. Classified as a mid-side car given the interior room.

Cons:

Acceleration, adequate but not zippy and may be interior space for some folks.

Other than it's small, what's your complain? if you have any.

Perfect car for driving to work in stop/go traffic, city driving. Rear window visibility is not great. Once you drive a hybrid, you learn to coast..hypermiling...For highway travel in a car with nearly the same MPG as a Prius, get a VW TDI diesel (my previous car).

14. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Now on my 3rd one.Each 1 better than the last.No problems at all except had to replace tires at 40 thousand miles.New one can get 60 miles per gallon with being able to run on electric any time you want to.Saved enough money on gas to pay for the next one was higher at that time.Other car,is suv forester.

15. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

My Friend and his wife each own one no complaints from them.

Jim

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

"Saved enough money on gas to pay for the next one was higher at that time."

Yeah, it must have been about $14/gallon. LOL, it's amazing how much Kool-Aid people will drink.

-Gary

17. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Out here in sunny southern California the Prius drivers are quite arrogant and will hog the road. They have this idea that they are helping out the environment and can take their good old sweet time. They usually drive under the speed limit and refuse to move over from the left hand fast lane. I will pass a Prius every time I find myself behind one. If they piss me off they might get the middle single finger salute on my way by them.

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My Sister has one. It's got over 130,000 miles and other than oil changes and a set of brake pads, zero problems so far. Great little car.

19. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the positive replies, no wonder they are all over the roads. I was surprised to hear it's classified as "mid size". I'll take another look at it next time.

Now, questions:

1) What do you mean the door will not stay open?

2) Is there another 12V battery in it? what's that battery for?

TIA

20. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

Don't own one, but I did see a guy pushing one through an intersection the other day. I guess they are lite enough to push easy.