1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wax Removal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tom@eel, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

What will remove one coat of Johnson's Paste Wax from a stock without disturbing the 10 coat Tru Oil finish which lies beneath. Want to go back and do a couple more coast of the oil.
    Thanks, Tom

2. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

Got some, I'll try it under the comb.
    Thanks Eddie,Tom

3. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Tru-oil is tougher than any wax. Wax is a waste of time. Doubt you will find anything that hurts Tru-oil. 10 coats is just getting started, you need another 50 or so.

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Isopropl Alcohol.

5. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I'd clean it 2-3 times with mineral spirits on a paper towel. Then I'd do a wet-rub with thinned Tru-oil/mineral spirits and 0000 steel wool before beginnning the topcoating again. And when it was done, I would NEVER put wax on it.

6. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

Thanks for the reply's, Got it de-waxed. Wax....NEVER AGAIN. After oil refinishing many stocks, this was the first time wax was used. Bad idea. Maybe something about the Brazilian wax thing I saw. Doesn't need it over TruOil.
    Tom

7. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Johnny

Do you really use 50-60 coats of Tru-Oil on a stock.

I have seen super nice stocks finished with 10-12 coats, so I can't imagine what 50-60 coats would look like, or how long that would take!!

Just curious?

Danny

8. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

Wonder what the transition to the checkering looks like with 50 coats, Danny?
    Tom

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

50 coats? I would think your POI would change. LOL

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The absolute best wax for any wood is Bee's wax, it cleans and preserves besides making it look good ... They suggest useing a citrus (Orange) type cleaner before applying the wax and it comes out beautiful ... I did a Model 12 stock that had an oil finish on it a few years ago and it still looks like brand new ... Its also easy to touch up if needed by just re applying to that particular spot ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Where do you find bee's wax? Do you want a paste or a spray? My grandfather always refinished his stocks with bees wax and something else. He took his formula with him to the grave.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You can get Bee's wax and the citrus cleaners at most of the Home Centers like Lowes, Home Depot and many others ... There are kits with the cleaners and the wax that they sell at some of the gun shows ... I have never seen it in a spray on, the container just says original Bee's wax on it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Bvr Tail , Actually I don't like the color of Tru-oil, stopped using it. When put on thick it looks green in the sunlight. I use Permalyn, it applies just like Tru-oil. I don't know how anyone gets the grain filled with 10 coats. That must take a lot of grain filler first before the finish is applied. They must be much better at it than I am. A lot gets sanded off as I go along. I like an absolutely glass smooth, mile deep finish. After six months or so the finish will dry and shrink a little, more finish. I have noticed quite a few high dollar factory finishes where the grain is not completely filled. It takes a while, I put 70 coats on the last one.

As for using wax on a gun, that is a joke. The wood is covered with a plastic like finish, the wax never touches the wood. It is like waxing a piece of plastic. Does nothing to "clean and preserve" the wood. The wax if for guys with 10 coats of Tru-oil.

Also frustating is Tru-oil, etc. is not a high build finish. Industrial wood finishers use a high build finish that I cannot locate. Automotive clear coat can finish a stock with about 4 coats.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bee's wax will build up on the wood and yes it does clean and preserve the wood ... I have a Model 12 stock thats oil finished and several coats of Bee's wax applied over it to make it shine like you won't believe ... I buff some of the stocks out with a professional auto buffer to make them shine even more, when desired ... Don't knock it till you try it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

HOw does Bees wax "clean and preserve" the wood if the wood is covered with a finish? The wax cannot penetrate a modern finish. If one has a worthless linseed oil finish, the bee's wax would certainly help. With any modern modified oil or urethane type finish, wax does nothing but set on top of the finish. Wax does nothing to enhance a modern finish.

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

He said oil finish, nothing was said about a plastic, or clear automotive finish ...

"What will remove one coat of Johnson's Paste Wax from a stock without disturbing the 10 coat Tru Oil finish which lies beneath. Want to go back and do a couple more coast of the oil. Thanks, Tom "

Thats why I said Bee's wax in the first place ... It will fill it in and make it look like its deep grain into the wood and protect it if used as directed ... It builds up over time and can easily be repaired in a spot gets damaged by say a gun in the rack ... It does not harden and is easy to work with ... The more coats you put on the better it looks, and a soft tooth brush will clean it out the the checkering ... It makes stocks that are damaged (Dinged) look like new once the plastic is sanded off of them and the Bee's wax finish is applied ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

WPT, No, he said "Tru-oil" finish. He is removing the wax and going back over with more coats "of the oil"... meaning more Tru-oil. Tru-oil is a modified oil, a modern finish. It is totally impervious to things like Bee's wax. Surely you are not saying to put Tru-oil on top of non-hardening Bee's wax.

He asked about how to remove wax and you tell him to use Bee's wax?

"It makes stocks that are damaged (Dinged) look like new once the plastic is sanded off of them and the Bee's wax finish is applied ... WPT ... (YAC) ... "

Everyone will be sanding their stocks down and rubbin in the non-hardening bee's wax now that the word's out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

removing wax in non hardeningmckay

will bess wax work for trap wax