1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wax build up on choke

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by edthearcher, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

I seem to be getting a heavy wax build up on my choke having a heck of a time getting it off even with solvent, useing rem. fig. 8 any suggestions thank you

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Wax? You sure it's not plastic residue from the wads? A brass bore brush chucked up in a drill should clean off any build up.

Eric

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Acetone will dissolve plastic, but keep it away from the wood as it will also remove the finish. Bill Malcolm

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Carb Cleaner, drill with a brass 10ga brush. This will clean anything.

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

As Beretta687EELL has commented, acetone will dissolve the plastic. I use a small glass jar, a baby food jar would be perfect, and cover the choke tube with acetone. I let the acetone work on the plastic for about 15 minutes and then clean with a brass wire brush and then wipe dry with a cotton cloth. It works on even the most stubborn plastic.

I will try the Rem Oil next time.

Acetone smells like nail polish remover because that is the main ingredient of many nail polish removers.

Acetone evaporates quickly and you will feel a cool sensation on your hands when you touch it.

Acetone is extremely flammable so use it only in a well ventilated area away from any chance of a spark or open flame.

Acetone will dissolve many finishes in an instant and will “cloud” the dial on any plastic based watch or instrument. I take my watch off before using acetone is any fashion.

6. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

school_teacher ..... Acetone, when used correctly, is a great cleaner but for health reasons you need to be using protective gloves instead of bear handed. Acetone is quite toxic.

7. joshif

joshif TS Member

Acetone is the main ingredient in Absorbine Jr.If it was that bad it wouldn't be on the market. BTW, I never had acetone melt wad plastic. For all you experts, take a wad and lay it in a container of acetone. I bet it won't melt or even get soft within hours. I tried it,did YOU? I tried Lacquer thinner,mineral spirits, Shooters Choice, all the JUNK "experts" say will melt wad plastic out of barrels and chokes. The only thing that works is WORK! Any gun liquid with a brush and even a drill is the only sure way to get the junk out of a barrel or choke tube.No short cuts here. Gun liquid= WD40,Rem oil,Ed's Red,3 in 1 oil,Kroil,etc, ad nauseum.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Elbow grease gets the job done! I use the Shooter's Choice foaming bore and choke cleaner with a good bronze brush. It's the brush that does the work, but the solvent makes it smell like I'm doing something and helps cover up the bean burritos I had for dinner.

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Thanks lkn4rocks, I will wear protective gloves. The acetone in Absorbine Jr. (which I have never used) is probably way less strength than pure acetone.

The acetone does not dissolve the plastic wad residue; it simply makes it soft so that a brass brush can quickly remove it.

Here’s a question for anyone reading this post. Do Claybuster wads cause more plastic buildup than other wads? Which brand of wads leaves less plastic in the choke?

10. oz

oz Active Member

lacquer thinner will work. put lacquer thinner in a plastic cup and see what happens. oz

11. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Diesel and a brass brush in a drill. Diesel is flammable but far less so than many of the highly aromatic solvents. The down side is that it stinks so do your cleaning outside or in a well ventilated shop. Wear gloves with all solvents to protect yourself.

12. joshif

joshif TS Member

Notice that I said WAD plastic. I know that Acetone and Lacquer thinner will destroy certain other plastics.I also put a wad in a glass container with Lacquer thinner and it didn't phase the wad. I soaked the wads for more than 24 hrs too in all my unscientific tests.I don't know how much Acetone is in an ounce of Absorbine jr. but it feels cool enough when applied that I feel that there's plenty.If it was bad there would be zero acetone in Absorbine Jr.What if your aftershave contained a little of weak radioactive Coyote Urine? Would you use it? It just has a little in it! And it's weakened. Go ahead, splash it on.

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

school_teacher.... I have found, over the years, that the Claybuster wads do, indeed, leave more plastic in the chokes of my barrels than any other wad I have tried. I have fixed choke barrels, not choke tubes. I have tried more different wads than you can shake a stick at, and the one that works the best, in my gun, is the original Windjammer wad. Why it doesn't leave a heavier plastic buildup than the others do is a mystery to me, and I really don't care why. It just doesn't, and that's all I care about. The Windjammer wad works very well for me....Just my experience.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. scott k

scott k TS Member

paper wads won't leave any plastic in your tubes, realy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how do you getvwax build up out of chokes

wax buildup in shotgun bores