1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Waterproof Shooting Coat for shotgun sports?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OGC Director, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

After getting wet at every shoot I've been to in the last 4 or 5 weeks I'm in the market for a coat to shoot trap in. I'm a 3x guy, 6'1" about 295 (more like 310 after thursday) I tried a coat from Cabelas but it bound me up and I had to send it back. In real cold weather I use a wool shooting sweater with windshear but I really don't have anything for the rain. Any Idea's?

2. maka

maka Member

I have a Bob Allen from Gameills. Works great. Nice pad and pockets have drain holes. About $90 plus shipping.

3. steele

steele TS Member

I'm 6'4" 260 & I sorta had the same problem getting something that fit that also moved well. I found Frogg Toggs raingear & then I put my shooting vest over top. They breath real well & are exceptionally light weight. Other than having to hang the vest to dry, I haven't any issues. Butch

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

I don't have any specific ideas, but anything you buy from Duluth Trading Co. will be a good deal. The big thing about them is their sizing is really generous. I'm usually an "extra large", but I've learned with them to order "large" and it will be plenty big enough. And the clothing lasts forever...

Bruce

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

You can sometimes find "shooting coats" or "waterproof shooting jackets" on Ebay and they're cheap.

Kevin

6. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

John Storm has the best jackets.

7. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

big boy- you have a PM wally riebesell 660-744-4115

8. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

John Storm. They'll make it any size you want, with or without liner, in several styles. Mine's 9 years old and still going. J

9. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

gee- its nice to PM someone my own size!!!!!

10. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Thanks all for the info. I've never had much luck buying something without trying it on first. And even then, shooting in it is another issue.

11. three-reloaders

three-reloaders TS Member

I got one from a golf pro shop. I figured if they can play golf in them I could shot in them. Never had a better rain gear. Not cheap. Jerry

12. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I tried one of the golf pull overs for rain gear but had trouble keeping the butt from slipping off of my shoulder. And I hate wearing a vest. I'm one of the tee shirt crowd as long as I can stand it. I must be getting older because a wet tee on a cool day doesn't cut it any more.

13. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

OGC, I am a big girl 2X here, my husband knew I was going pheasant hunting the first year, they were calling for rain, he went and got me a Beretta coat, its gortex inside, under the plaid lining its vented on the arms so you can shoot forever in it. Spent 4 hrs in the field with rain just coming down, and I was very very dry when I got back and warm. I have seen a few of them online still I will look and see if I can find the name its like tin cloth so made to repel the water.

Deb

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Foggs Toggs works for me. Add a dot com for a website and nearest dealer to you, so as you can try some on. Good Luck and Break-em all. JEff

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I bought a Jansport Rain Jacket over ten years ago at our company store. It was an XL and fits me well. I'm a 2XL sized guy, so the jacket was generous where it needed to be. I use it for shooting in rain and drizzle. It has a hood that actually works well to keep the rain off of my face and glasses. It's long enough to keep me dry in the waist area. They were made specially for us and I have not seen them anywhere else. They are no longer offered. The point is that you just need to find something that fits you the right way. What works for someone might be a poor choice for someone else. Look around and try a few on. I like the hood, since it does what I need it to and does not get in the way. I have another jacket that is similar, but it does not fit the same way and is useless for shooting trap. It's a 2XL. Shop around and actually try on the jackets/coats and try moving around and see how it is. Put the hood up and move your head and shoulders around and see what it does. A pair of waterproof boots, adequately sized rain pants, and I'm in business.

Fit and comfort is the most important thing. I don't care if it came from WalMart. If it fits and does the job, it worth it.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Orvis can outfit you for $$$$. The have the good stuff.

17. lofat2

lofat2 TS Member

I vote for Storm.He custom made my jacket & would not charge my card until he heard from me that it fit & I was satisfied. How many people do business like that anymore?

18. tachyon

tachyon Member

I also vote for Storm. His jackets are made for shooters. Waterproof and well made.

19. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Bazooka your link was wrong for BackFence so here it is!!
    www.backfence-sportswear.com

20. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Frogg Togs work for me with a vest over them for shooting. Lightweight, cheap,usually come with pants for fishing, roll-up hood etc. Watched one of west coasts top shooters and Hall of Famer shoot in the rain and his set is several year old. Jacket rolls up very small and packs easily in suitcase. I do have Pavillion storm jacket and also cold weather coat but for wind and rain its the Frogg Tog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bob allen shooting jackets ebay

clay shootingjacketsebay

rain gear for shotguns
shooting rain gear
shotgun shooting jacket
shotgun shooting jackets
sports coat for trap shooting

waterproof shooting coats