1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Waterproof Jacket

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by webley, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webley

webley TS Member

I’m looking for a top quality - reasonably light-weight waterproof shooting jacket (for trap). One that’s intended for mild temperature use - to keep the shooter dry in summer/fall rain rather than keep them warm.

I’ve looked at the jackets on the John Storm website (i.e. the Trap Coat & International Coat) plus those on the ‘BackFence Sportswear’ website but I've not had the chance to examine any of these products personally.

Are they suitable - is there anything to choose between those two brands?

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Regards

Russell

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

A pity that Black's of Scotland no longer makes it's line of outwear. They used to sell an Egyptian cotton windbreaker with gauntlet cuffs and a drawstring waist that was waxed. It was everything proof and worked equally well as a mild weather windbreaker/rain jacket or as the top layer of a extreme cold winter getup.

3. webley

webley TS Member

Bill,

http://www.backfence-sportswear.com/

Ljutic73,
    The jacket you describe sounds fairly similar to the Barbour 'Durham' jacket (don't know about the cuffs though).

Has anyone tried the BackFence products?

Regards
    Russell

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Anyone try Frogg Toggs in the summer?

5. webley

webley TS Member

There’s a big range of lightweight golfers & hikers gear available but they all require the addition of a shooting vest over the top. The Storm & BackFence products are true ‘shooting jackets’ (with shoulder patch & shell pockets etc) & far more preferable personally.

Based on what I’ve seen & read I think I’ll have to choose an unlined Storm jacket (most of my shooting takes place around 50 to 70 deg F). I’d still be very interested to read any comments on the BackFence jackets though.

Regards
    Russell

6. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Back fence jackets are excellent. Lite wt and 101% waterproof. Made in USA. I like mine. Wore mine yesterday in 50 degree misting rain, dry and I didn`t sweat. I sweat like alot. Have worn it in a down pour, stayed dry. Fabric seems a little stretchy. Color seems to stay in the jackets I see others wearing for five yrs or more.

7. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Blacks, Barbour? Buy an American-made C.C. Filson. Same waxed cotton, and the zippers work the correct way. Lots of models.

Larry

8. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I ordered a new Storm coat. Thanks for the update. In the state high school shoot, I used a Columiba and was dry and warm. I do worry about sweating my guts out on a hot day.

9. JRW

JRW Member

My Pavillion shooting jacket did not stop the rain at the GLG. I changed to my Cabelas rain suit it also failed. Jerry

10. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Question...why shoot in the rain?? Personally, I don't enjoy getting me and my equipment soaked so fishing, shooting, golfing - anything supposed to be fun - doesn't happen in the rain. I yield the floor to others who think I'm "all wet".... sorry for the pun. Best Regards, Ed

11. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

Backfence has a new light weight coat. It is good at 75 degrees and warmer if its pouring. Wear a cowboy hat and keep dry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
light weight summer shooting jacket

light weight trap shooting jacket

trap shooting rain gear
waterproof shooting jacket