1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

watering eyes when shooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cole-mitchell, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

Today I was shooting with very little wind and where glasses with blinders yet my eyes still watered enough to lose a target or two from improper "seeing the the target" Anyone do anything special to combat watering eyes

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

cole, good luck on this one. This topic was discussed on several threads here about a yr. ago. Do a search and you may find something that helps.

I have the same problem every fall and spring if the temp is below about 55 degrees and there is a stiff breeze. My optomotrist told me it was dry eye and suggested some drops,but they didn't seem to help much. As H.D. mentioned above,age has something to do with it. If I'm not mistaken though, you are a younger shooter.

There were several other eye drops mentioned by other people on the threads last yr. that I never tried. Maybe one of those may help. Best of luck. If you find something that works for you, let me know. I have shot several programs through a blurr. It is frustrating (not to mention that it also doesn't help the average) Good shooting---Steve

3. PILLMAN

PILLMAN TS Member

try a new OTC product called ZADITOR , in the eye drop section of your pharmacy

4. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I sometimes experience chronic eye watering on the trap field myself. Unfortunately it is usually on my way off the field after looking at the score sheet.

Jeff

5. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Improper gun mount will cause watering eyes...especially the eye that is over the rib. Too much cheek force against the comb will cause the skin of the cheek to push upward and slightly close the eye....thus causing watering eyes in many cases.

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I get the same thing. In my case it is NOT improper gun fit because I get it when I'm not shooting too. It's mostly allergies for me I'm guessing. For a long time I thought it was dry eyes but no drops ever worked for me.

7. PILLMAN

PILLMAN TS Member

hoggy , try ZADITOR , you will like it , a switch from RX to OTC

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Gold X said. ;^)

9. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

If it's dry eye, lubricant eyedrops will work....not all eyedrops have lubricant in them. It may not stop the watering completely, but it will certainly help. I prefer a brand with individual use applicators.

Buz

10. dognduck

dognduck TS Member

i used to have the same problem but changed to wrap round style glassess .oakleys. and dont have the problem any more

11. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

A word of caution on the Zaditor drops.
    Two of the side effects of Zaditor(Ketotifen) are DRY EYES and photophobia.
    Zaditor is an antihistamine & works good for itching caused by allergic conjunctivitis. Usually with dry eye syndrome, the best way to reduce tearing is to wear wrap around glasses or blinders. PLUS use a lubricant eye drop BEFORE & DURING shooting. When the wind hits the dry eyes, it makes the eye dryer, the eye then over compensates & produces more tears---thus watering eyes.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Plain old moisturizing eye drops might help if the problem is just dry eyes. Sometimes the eyes get overlubricated when the windy conditions are encountered. It's the bodies way of dealing with the weather. A few drops before each round might help to alleviate the problem.

13. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I've used every eye drop the pharmacy sells and most of the one's my doctor can prescribe. None have helped enough to justify what I've spent on them. Now I just leave the gun in the case if there's a breeze on a day colder than 40 F.

Morgan

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

I found that going to my shrink and getting my meds adjusted helped me with my tearing problem ... I now hardly ever cry anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.