1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Waterfowling In South Africa - With Pics

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Going waterfowl hunting in Mpumalanga province here in South Africa tomorrow.

It'll be a first for me. I've never been waterfowl hunting before, ever.

Yellow-billed duck, red-billed teal, Egyptian goose, and Spurwing goose are legal game.

Looking forward to it!

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Always wanted to do that....extremely jealous!

3. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

It won't be the last time you go. It's addictive. My father started taking me with him when I was 4. I will never forget those times and will never give up waterfowl hunting.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'll have a great time. Let us know how things went!!! Good Luck and Kill-em all. Jeff

5. jaeger18

jaeger18 Member

This thread will be deemed worthless without pictures.....

Best wishes on your trip and please post up some pics when you get a chance.

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You need someone to carry your guns? Have fun and do get plenty of pic's for all of us to cry over. LOL

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Great Day! Got up at about 3 to get to my friend's house (45 minute drive) by 5 to get to the field (hour drive) by 6. Got out of the car and it was -3°C (27°F) with frost everywhere.

No blind, just sit by the side of the pond and shoot them as they fly over. Bagged 3 yellow-billed ducks, an Egyptian goose, and also did a little upland game hunting and bagged a Swainson's Francolin.

Here's a few pics:

Egyptian Goose with two Yellow Billed Ducks

[​IMG]

Egyptian Goose with two Yellow Billed Ducks

[​IMG]

Egyptian Goose

[​IMG]

Pond where we hunted, with coal power plant in background (I'm over here helping build another one not far from where we hunted.)

[​IMG]

Swainson's Francolin - This is an upland game bird, bigger than a Bobwhite Quail, but quite a bit smaller than a Ringneck Pheasant. I guess about the size of a Hungarian Partridge? This one flushed about 10 feet from me, after having been standing in that spot for about a minute waiting for the dogs to find a downed bird.

[​IMG]

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thats sweet timb. I'm glad there is stuff to keep you from getting too homesick.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks Matt.

For the time being, since the wife is here, this is home, but I know what you mean.

And not only that, when we were upland hunting in a native grass field next to a corn field, you could have convinced me I was in Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota...it looked just like home.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

From your pics, i'd never guess it was South Africa if you hadn't said so. Looks very much like some local areas. Glad your wife is there with ya. That changes everything. Its still not home though and i'm sure there are reminders of that all to often. Take care.

11. 6878mm

6878mm Member

Mate, you missed the best days in SA and Rhodesia

12. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Have them organize a driven hunt where they push the various Guinea Fowl toward a line of stander's -- it will seem a little like pushing a CRP field in North Dakota except you won't see a skunk or racoon trying to sneak thru -- more likely an impala or two or maybe even a warthog. I had a sow with at least 10 piglet's just about run between my legs one afternoon.

I wish I could have gotten an import license to bring back some of the bird skins to have mounted but the bird hunitng was a add-on due to a screw-up at the airport in Jo-burg that kept us in the country an extra 3 days.

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

MORE PIC'S MORE PIC'S. Please.

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Great story and pictures, Tim! A relative who works for your company is going to be deployed to Hawaii this fall....you guys get exotic trips. I missed the 3 day shoot at Smithville this weekend and the shoot today at Powder Creek...2 family birthday parties...and it was 98 degrees with (seemed like) 90% humidity. Keep us posted on the hunts. Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.