1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Waterfowlers - hyper velocity steel shot shells***

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Guys I'm a long time hunter that's fairly new to the waterfowl (duck) scene. Won't come off as a know-it-all because I pretty ignorant/newbie to the world of steel shot.

While at the sports shop getting decoy line and quick snaps I couldn't help but to gravitate toward the steel shot they had on the shelf and check it out.

I saw where some of this steel shot is 1700+ fps. With steel shot already being a possibe cause to barrel erosion, are these speeds a for certain that they will cause it? These speeds are beyond what certain choke tube mfg. call out for their choke tubes. I believe my tube call for 1550 fps max.

And Black Cloud.......I guess you are not suppose to use it unless you're putting it through a BC tube for best results. A Kent Fasteel or a Nitro Steel through a BC Tube is probably not recomended either.

Some of the do's and don't of steel are a bit confusing. And safety is something else that has to be considered before picking up a box of these newer shots. Maybe I'm making it out to be more than what it is?

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I shot steel for several years, then looked at my clock and calculated how long I could reasonably shoot, so I gave my plastic guns and all my steel & such to Son & S-I-L, and I shoot my old Brit SxS and Bismuth, to great satisfaction.

Bismuth is like shooting lead, but costly.

That said ... if you are shooting 20-25yd decoy or pot-hole duck, any 2¾" 1300fps Steel is lethal. Period.

About any 'regular priced' Steel works fine. I have filled pickup beds full of sea duck with 3" Winchester Drylok #2 & #1. For puddlers and diver, I have been a big fan of Drylok and 3" Kent Fasteel 3s @ 1425fps.

If you keep your PASS shots under 40yds, unless you like to double-tap birds, this is where the 1500+ fps and #1s and BBs stuff starts to shine.

I think you can shoot BC out of any steel-rated bbl & choke, but the BC tube is supposed to be pretty special. Dunno. I've never tried it, and I know even less abt that new Remington stuff.

I wouldn't shoot anything smaller than #3, and try ALL of your chokes, starting with IC. When you get a pattern you like, STOP playing. Mark it in your notebook.

If you want ONE bullet, that 3" 1¼oz Kent @1425fps in #2 is a good choice ... unless you have a batch of Teal trying to steal your hat. For pothole Teal & Woodies, I used the Wally-World 'field' #6.

If you have geese, don't mess with steel, go to Hevi-shot.

If you'd like to load your own Steel, I have a couple of good recipes.

Good hunting,

Bob

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

My duck hunting for now has been on small creeks for woodies and mallards. Jump shooting and with some decoys. I hope to get on some bigger water but need a craft a bit different than what I have now (bass boat).

I currently shoot a steel 3" #3's @1400 fps and a 3 1/2" #2's @1550 fps. I often thought that for no more shots than I encounter during the season I should be shooting one of the hevi-shots and don't look at the price.

It's been a learn as I go type of thing for waterfowl, I basically hunt solo. Should have started it years ago when I first got into small game and pheasants.

I've been kicking around the idea of going on a sea duck hunt for a few days. Have to do alittle home work on it, looks like there are a few ways that they do it. Appears that it can get fast and alot of shooting real quick. Don't want to go on a trip when I'm green as grass to ducks. Should just go do it I may be a trip of a lifetime for me.

4. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I have been shooting steel shot since it came out in the 70s and put many rounds on paper. I found with my barrels that high speed 1500 plus will blow the pattern and have holes that a small duck could slip by with no problem. Before I use any of the high speed shells I would put them on paper. I shoot Wingmaster 28" fixed Mod choke untill I got a 870 Supermag with 28" Rem chokes ( the mod choke works best for me ) I now shoot the new 887 which I have not put on paper but will be doing it soon.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

C2 ... Environmetals pissed me off big-time with all their new names and lighter formulations ... which spurred me to start playing more and faster with Bismuth.

The REAL Hevi- ... the 14g/cc stuff, I shot with a lt-mod, and a 60yd pass shot was webs-up.

The 'cutesy' stuff: Duck, Goose, Classic is 11g/cc (ie same as Lead) and I choked it until the pattern blew then dropped back a number. Every tube is different.

I never could tell much difference in how #BB or T shot patterned from #4 in Hevi- between Mossberg 500, 870 and H&R Partner.

Spanky ... whatever your expectations of seaduck hunting are, they are not sufficiently high. First trip or three, go guided. I surely do like Riley McCue, ( http://www.rpmoutdoors.com/ ) and if things play out right, he will put you on everything with wings: brant, puddlers, divers, resident cans, and lots & lots of seaduck of different flavors.

When you run out of those 3½", I'll take the hulls ... you don't need 3½ for any kind of duck, & you need to buy more of those 3" 1400 jobbies - good medicine.

Bob

6. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Most important thing about steel is to shoot it. It pattens differently, slows down fast, and just doesn't hit very hard. You really need to pattern your gun with the various sizes/manufacturers and use the one that patterns best for as much hunting as you can. My Benelli SBE-II likes #3's (just about any make) so I buy that by that case.

You do need a special choke for blackcloud - but that said be careful anyway. Friend had that monster wad catch in the choke tube (it was specific for BC) and darn near blew the bolt out of his Xtrema.

Some things I have experienced....

For ducks under 30 yards, any WALMART on-sale steel shell - 2 3/4, 3, 3 1/2 (OUCH) from 1150 - 1550 (OUCH again) will do the job in #6 through BB. Smaller pellets will serve you better in close like that - but a load of BB's does the job, too (IC - MOD choke)

Beyond 30-40 yards - #4's or bigger - #2's probably the best mix of pellet count and sizem (MOD choke).

Beyond 40 yards - BB, BBB, T (whatever choke patterns). For seaducks - load up as if for geese at 40 yards. BB's BBB - Mod - full choke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best steel shot for ducks

do you need a special choke tube foe kent fasteel

drylok and sbe

hyper shot for duck hunting

hyper velocity for pass shooting