1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Waterfowl Season so far???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doug Brown, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

1 duck-so what! How can you have a bad day in that setting with your lab?

2. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

75 degrees here. I stayed home and sold decoys. JW

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

Finally got some rain this weekend. Have seen two ducks in a month. They are following the rivers, and the Great Lakes from what I hear. No water in any ponds around here because of the drought. I can't believe that they all are still up north yet.

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

We wacked em.. 28 greenheads on Saturday. Jeff

5. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Not many birds in upstate NY yet. Geese are starting to migrate but the season does not open until October 27.

Killed a pair of mallards on Saturday A drake and a susie.

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Dry as a popcorn fart here. Our local biologists decided to drain the two state owned sloughs during drought so they have been dry for months.

7. jr.sportingclays

jr.sportingclays Member

Here in CT I have seen good action, took a walk just to check out one of the swamps I hunt this past weekend and counted AT LEAST 40 ducks, I'm planning on heading out Saturday morning, but the only downer was that most of them were wood ducks, only about a quarter were mallards and then there was a group of some teal. Excited to get out there.

8. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

Local geese have been steady all season with no flight geese so far. Lots of small ducks (woodys) with a few Mallards. Weather has cooled this week and flight geese should start coming down soon. Hard hunting with lots of scouting to find the birds feeding fields. Central Michigan area.

9. jr.sportingclays

jr.sportingclays Member

I love the woodies, just not for eating as much as a nice fat corn fed mallard, the woodies are more for looks I think, but they taste al'right too cooked on the grill with a little bacon or slowly smoked! Does anybody have any good recipes they want to share? Looking to try something new this year.

JR

10. Donm

Donm Active Member

Frank.

Great picture. If she could talk it looks like she is saying "so come on dad shoot something"

I leave for ND on Fri. Reports vary alot from there.

11. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

SE WI is very dry from the drought also. Went to Horicon a couple times but it was not too good.

Joe

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Here in Bowling Green,OH there are local geese galore. The trick is getting them out of the city limits. They are now considered pest birds as they crap all over the golf courses etc. I never thought I would see the day that they would quit migrating. They are now starting to fly to the picked corn fields outside the city limits.
    Clyde

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

Finally, finally seen two flocks of Mallards last night right at dark. Maybe the rain this past weekend in SE Wisconsin filled some of the ponds.

It is the same here, if you have an area where you can hunt right outside of a business park, you will have all of the shooting you want. Many of them are giving away birds. Some groups of guys I know shoot 200-300 geese a year.

14. otnot

otnot Active Member

Here in Alaska we have been hunting since Sept 1 and though there were no mallards the wideon and pintails more than made up for it. I would say this is the best hatch in 30 years.

15. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Our local season opened on Saturday the 6th. I went out on the Snake River for a couple of hours and didn't see a single duck. The rest of the state opened the 13th. I went out to Blackfoot Reservoir near Soda Springs. There were hundreds of ducks and geese rafted up a couple of hundred yards offshore, but none would fly near my decoys. The ducks offshore were too big a draw for flying birds. This morning we had our first rain in months, and forecasts call for 60 mph+ winds later in the day. I'll try the Reservation later this afternoon and see how it goes.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't shoot ducks but I have been kicking up large numbers of mallards off the irrigation ditches - Fallon NV. Gets a little confusing when you shoot at a quail and a bunch of ducks jump up quacking for all they are worth - the dogs think we should shoot them too.

17. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Last weekend was awsome! Mallards, Canvasbacks, Pintails, Redheads, Ringbills, Bluebills and Greenwing teal along with a Goose. Flocks of 25 to 100 per flock in high winds. Thousands per hour in the A.M. slow in the PM with no one left to move them around. Western Minnesota. Get ready guys they are coming!

Primedust

18. johnhefley

johnhefley Member

Saturday was opening day here in Vermont. 3 of us, (my son, a friend, and myself) started late (set up around 11 a.m.), and ended up with 14 ducks.

We enjoyed a nice variety including mallards, blacks, a ringneck, two pintails, and a teal. If we had shot better, we would have had 18. We sure had the opportunities!

Today, however, was a bust. Another friend and I went out to the same area in a gale wind. I left after about 5 hours. My buddy hung around until end of shooting, and left the site with 1 wood duck.

That's why we call it hunting, and not shopping!
    jh

19. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I left the house for the Fort Hall Bottoms a little before 2 PM yesterday. The forecast was for high winds, and it had been pretty breezy all morning with a cold front coming through. As I was driving we had a cloudburst, so hard that I had to slow way down even with my wipers on high. I was the first significant rain we've had in several months. As I reached the Bottoms the rain stopped and the skies began to clear, although the winds continued. I started to set up decoys on a spring creek, and as often happens a flock of about a dozen Widgeon came in before I was finished. Of course, with me in the middle of the creek, they flared off. Shortly after I finished two came in. I knocked one down and he fell in the sagebrush across the creek. A little later another single fell in the creek. After a while my Chesapeake Rocky and I went up the creek to see whether some had landed around the bend. He put up a big rooster, and it took me two shots to knock it down. Later on, I got another single in the creek. It was wounded and diving, but Rocky came up with it. As I was picking up decoys about 5 PM, three more Widgeon came by and flared. My score for the day was three Widgeon in three shots, and one pheasant with two. Rocky had four nice retrieves.

Here he is with his birds:

[​IMG]

As I've mentioned before, I have a new pup, Lexie. She just turned four months old, and is Rocky's half-sister. She really marks and swims well, and loves to go for walks in the field, but we didn't take her along yesterday. She was interested in Rocky's birds:

[​IMG]

If anyone is interested in a nice Chesapeake pup, Lexie's sister Belle is still available. She is just a little bigger and blonder, and a really nice pup. For more info, shoot me a PM.

20. otnot

otnot Active Member

Pocatello. Man you brought back many memories of hunting the bottoms and fishing in spring creek back in the early 60's. I remember one day my dad came home from hunting and had 1 deer, 2 geese, pheasant and a stringer of trout. We used to hunt pheasants by driving the back roads and chasing them off the road. Since my dad was part indian we could hunt and fish at will. I wonder if the Wadsworth family still live on the reservation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.