1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Waterfowl Loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DeadDuck13, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadDuck13

DeadDuck13 TS Member

I was curious as to what duck loads everybody shoots. Normally I shoot steel, however this fall I'm headed to Stuttgart, and am interested in shooting a tungsten or bismuth load. What are your thoughts on the "heavy" loads?

Rob

2. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

I love Hevi-shot and TM... Stuff hits HARD but it usually patterns a little different than steel.

For Ducks I would shoot 4s probably. Maybe 5s if they're smaller birds.

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Had great luck with Bismuth when it came out ,Hevi-Shot even better. Now that Remington is offering a $15 a box rebate on there new HD , we will try that this fall. Look in the back of Mack's Prarie wings catalog for the coupon for up to 10 boxes , thats $150 dollars off!! Jeff

4. scott berry

scott berry TS Member

You can download the Remington Fall Promotion information from the above website.

Enjoy your trip to Stuttgart!

5. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

Buy a flat of Kent Fast Steel 3" 1 1/8oz #2 1560 fps. Screw in a Mod. choke and shootem out to 40 yards. The duck will be just as dead with steel shot as any other shot and at 1/3 the price. Send out the dog and have fun! Darren

6. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

I shot pheasants with both lead and hevi-shot last year. Hevi-shot hammered them. Should work the same on ducks. Expensive, but...

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Yeah right, just as dead LOL We have had good luck also with Hevi-Steel. As far as expensive, we have a 5 duck limit here in VA. If I cant kill 5 with 7 or 8 shots then Im not doing my job. Now with steel most of the time they need 3 or 4 follow up shots. I never use anything more open than Mod ,when they are hit ,they are dead. Jeff

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Up close you should be able to kil em with anything. Jeff

9. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Heavy Shot #4's over dekes followed by steel 2's for the follow up shot. Make a good shot with HD and their stone dead before the hit the water.

10. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I guess I am old school. I shoot Winchester Supreme aka Black Death in 2 3/4 over decoys and 3" pass shooting. I used to switch shot sizes but shoot mainly #1s at both geese and ducks. I shoot an 870 with a Hastings wad lock bbl and modified choke for ducks and full for geese. Head down keep swinging. Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.